Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 50 HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 50 HELP!!

Been working on my grandson's 50 cc Eton.
The only way I can get it to run is spraying gas in the carb with a spray bottle..

It's had a new top end, new crank seals, new reed valve and a new carb.
If I spray long enough to get it warm it will run quite a while at a high idle but as soon as the throttle is touched it dies.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Even tho new, could the carb need cleaned?
Again, new, but maybe check the compression.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took the carb apart last night before posting. Clean a a whistle

Haven't checked compression with a gauge but it is greatly improved with the new top end

Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it'll idle, but bogs when you hit the throttle, the jets are plugging up. even though you said it's clean or new, it can have solids in it. remember, you replaced the carb, not the gasoline or the fuel tank. that's still original. trust me. i just got through cleaning a buddy's carb 6 times today after he said it was clean. i showed him what i got out of the jets. it runs like a champ now.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tank has been drained and flushed several times. New lines and filter installed. I took the new Carb apart and all the passages are open.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a similar problem. Bought a 2003 Eton Viper 50. I replaced all the gas lines, fuel filter, new fuel in the tank, new plug, replaced the auto choke with manual choke, cleaned the carb numerous times, replaced the float valve and checked the compression which was on the money. Doesn't like to start when it is cold and when I do get it to start I need to manually choke it with my hand. What I do is cover the air intake with my fingers until once it gets going. If it doesn't start right away the plug seems to get soaked with gas. What I was told is then 50cc engine put on this quad was originally a moped engine used in warmer climates in Asian countries so the auto choke doesn't work well. IMHO manual or auto choke - they both don't work well. I'm used to seeing a lever that blocks/restricts the air intake on the carb for a choke. Anyway...making a long story short, I too put starter fluid in the carb and have to gun it to get it to go. Once the quad warms up, it seems to run fine. Maybe talking through this in detail will give others a clue to help us. I've had 2 cycle mopeds before but never had such a hard time starting them.

One other note - I noticed when cleaning the carb the needle has and adjustment. I believe my needle is as high as it will go (circlip is as low as it will go on the needle), I assume meaning it's on the leaner than richer side. Not sure if that could be the root of our troubles too??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!