Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton, Kazuma, or other

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton, Kazuma, or other

So I've been on a torrid search for a 50cc for my 4 year old to start on. I need some advice regarding the power and clutching.

I looked at an 03 Kawi KFX 50 that was a dog that would barely move with me on it. It was a 4 stroke with an automatic centrifugal clutch. I think it might have had clutch problems. I'm also considering an 07 Kazuma that is a 4 stroke with a 3 speed automatic, and a 2000 eton that is fully automatic CVT. I thought both the Kazuma's and Etons wer equal brands, but I was surprised to find that the Kazuma that was 7 years new actually blue booked for less than the Eton. Of the 3 types, what is the most reliable and will have enough power to provide my son with at least a few years of riding while his abilities improves? And what's the best value?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I had a discussion with a sales person at kidsatvs.com. They carried Kazuma and had good things to say about them but said that the company went out of business because of the economy. He said they now sold TaoTao's but had them build to their specifications with upgraded carb, stator, and battery. He said the Kazuma's also had these upgrades.

I have a 90 that was sold by Pepboys in 2004. It has NO trouble moving me around. My buddy has a Honda 70 that also can carry him. Sounds like something wrong with the Kaw.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The Eton books for more because it's a high quality Tiawanese machine.
The rest mentioned are chinese.
The Eton gets my vote for durability.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 06 Eton, and I can tell you that it carries me 255lbs around with no problem.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my son an 05 kazuma meerkat about last spring. He was 5. He loves it. It is easy to adjust the throttle & has a kill switch. It also has a stop that you can hook a rope or string to and follow him around and kill the engine before he hits anything. It was well used when I got it and i did have to replace the fuel shut off switch. I have not had to replace the battery. It lasted all winter being used only a few times. I leave it in the top gear because his feet aren't strong enough yet to change the gear yet. We have about an acre of land & that is a great size for our yard. He loves it and it was easy for him to learn on. He rides it whenever he can.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by keithert
I had a discussion with a sales person at kidsatvs.com. They carried Kazuma and had good things to say about them but said that the company went out of business because of the economy. He said they now sold TaoTao's but had them build to their specifications with upgraded carb, stator, and battery. He said the Kazuma's also had these upgrades.
I made a mistake. the sales person said it was Jet-moto that is out of business, not Kazuma.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. The Eton was local, and the others were an hour away or so. After looking at the Eton and riding it, I bought it. It pulled me around pretty good, so I know it will have plenty of power for him to last a few years as he improves. The only thing that concerns me is if he has enough hand strength to use the hand brakes for an extended period of time. But, if I have it restricted for now while he learns, it shouldn't be going that fast to worry about having to stop quickly. Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I know that my son the front brakes is cable and the rear is hydraulic. I rear brakes is easier and I have to admit that I have not seen my son use the front brakes when riding. The only time is when he uses the parking brake

Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

ETON all the way. My daughter has a Viper 70 and they are a VERY well made machine. ETON makes (or made) many of the big name companies' kids quads.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

The eton we had was a great little bike(viper 90)..When my son was little I made a bracket to hold the front brake lever closer to the handlebar so he could reach it better..He always prefered to use the much stronger rear hydraulic brake though..