Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Another stubborn Alphasport 90 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 08:50 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Another stubborn Alphasport 90 owner

The atv is the stubborn one I am speaking of, not me(although I have been told that before).

The machine is about 10 years old. I got it from the in-laws about 3 years ago. It was not stored properly(just left out in the weather), but was not what I would call abused. I took it to the Honda dealer it came from for repair. Apparently, it had a lot of electrical issues and pretty much everything from the ignittion key to the stator was replaced. It ran ok for a while, but it was always stubborn and would occasionally just shut off. The guy that did the repair said that the motor was not harmed and was still in great shape.
It was ran sporadically, but all it has done for a long while now is that you would kick start it about 40 times, and then it would run like crazy for a short distance and then just shut off without being able to kick crank it again. The battery was dead as a hammer was perhaps part of the need to kick it so many times.
Well, through building a house and the wife having a baby, I finally have got time to get it working well so my wife and kids can ride. Of course, it wont run at all now. I am getting no spark, and I dont know why. I took the carb off and cleaned it. I did tinker around with the adjustment screws whille cleaning it so I may have messed something up there, but when I try to crank I am getting gas on the plug.

I have seen a couple of suggestions on here about a variety of problems with this machine, but judging from what I shared, what should be my next course of action. Also, keep in mind that I am not most mechanically minded person, so keep it simple for me. I dont know technical stuff, but I can do most maintence things myself.

Thanks,
Rod

Old 08-07-2011 | 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Welcome to the forums.
The battery spins the starter, not supply any juice for the spark.
This could be rust on the stator.
Maybe Lynn Edwards will chime in and help with some of his electrical talent.

Old 08-07-2011 | 08:12 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Is there such a thing as an accident??

I accidentally found the problem, but now dont know how to fix it.

I bought a new NGK BPR7HS to install hoping for a miracle spark. Well, the spark plug boot wouldnt fit. Forgive the lack of the proper term, but the little screw on piece at the top of the plug was removed from the old plug. Even though I should have known better, I assumed that it came uncrewed in the boot. In the process of pulling on the boot to get a better view, it popped right off the wire in my hand.
So, I thought why not try to see if the bare wire got spark. Sure enough, when turning the starter, it was sparking like crazy. Hopefully, that means I should get spark and finish the repair, but no, read on.
After tinkering with the detached boot, I got the little brass piece to come out. It must not be meant to come out because I can not get it to go back in securely. It has threads, but I get nothing when I try to screw it in.

So, now my question:
Is there a way to fix the cable or splice on a new boot?

I see that the spark plug cable is fairly short and goes to a small, rounded black box. I do not know what this box is called, but with my luck it is expensive!! The cable appears to be secured into this box with no way of removing it.

Final question:
Am I out of luck on making this an inexpensive repair?

Thanks,
Rod

Old 08-07-2011 | 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

LOL..
Yup, you messed up your spark plug cap. It was intended for you to remove the screw on part of the spark plug and then the threads on the plug went into that brass piece you pulled out.
OK, now you go to your dealer/shop and order a arctic cat (snowmobile) replacement cap (NGK of course and a few bucks). This cap will not fall off and utilizes the spark plug screw on thingie.
The wire comes from the CDI/coil. The black thing.
The CDI/coil and spark plug cap have a threaded spike in them. Screw the wire into the CDI/coil and then thread the cap on the wire.
Yes, you got lucky.

Old 08-08-2011 | 07:36 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default It had to go into the CDI

LT80, would it be advisable for me to take off the CDI unit and take it in to the Artic Cat dealer and see if they can put it on. It looks like it is just a couple of mounting bolts and wire connectors. I am a bit heavy handed, and I dont want to try to remove the spark plug wire and mess up the CDI unit as I am sure that will be much more $ to replace.

I am glad I didnt seriously screw up something, but also glad that I found what I hope to have been the problem all along without having replaced the stator and/or other electrical items.

Hopefully, getting good spark will solve its erratic running problem.

Thanks again,
Rod

Old 08-08-2011 | 07:52 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Another problem. There isn't an Arctic Cat dealer under an hour to 1.5 hour plus drive from my home.

I know these machines are similar to the Polaris. Will Polaris have the part? I have a Polaris dealer less than an hour away. I live in the middle of SC which is why i would have a really hard time finding a snowmobile dealer.

Rod

Old 08-08-2011 | 08:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Go to ANY local dealer or shop.
They can order a NGK cap for a arctic cat. It's not a dealer item only. Anyone can get it.

Old 08-08-2011 | 09:51 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I tend to overthink the simple things. The most local guy to me sells Poolaris and other Jap makes. I will go there.

Should I remove the unit with the wire?

The reason I ask is that yesterday I went to get an oil filter for my dirt bike from a parts store(yeah, I started changing the oil before I checked to see if I had one and of course no bike shop is open on Sunday or Monday around here). When I showed him the filter that came out of it, he looked at me and said "what's that?"

Rod

Old 08-10-2011 | 07:43 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Got the plug boot

Now I have spark and gas in the cylinder, but it still wont start. Not a situation where it starts and runs rough or starts and cuts off, but it just turns over with no start. I gapped the plug the same as the plug that came out, but will google the proper gap.
What am I doing wrong? Is something out of adjustment on the carb or somewhere else?

Old 08-10-2011 | 07:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

If the plug is wet, it's prolly flooded.If so, Apply full throttle and spin till it starts.

Quick Reply: Another stubborn Alphasport 90 owner