Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 50 Retrofit for Remote Stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 50 Retrofit for Remote Stop

I recently purchased a 2000 Eton TXL 50. I am trying to retrofit a remote stop/start from a more modern Eton. Looking at the Eton site they suggest that there is a wiring change that needs to happen. Any help?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking at the published wiring diagrams for the Eton TXL 50 I don't see any remote module connector. Does your wiring diagram have a connector to allow the remote to plug in? Or is your plan to wire the remote module into the existing wiring harness which not does not have a remote module connector?

Is the remote module from a 'more modern eton' from the same type quad or a different model?

Looking at other eton wiring diagrams with optional remote modules I see that the remote has five wires:

1) 12 volt power
2) Ground
3) Start
4) Switch Input
5) Switch Output

If you are trying to wire a remote receiver into a harness that does not have the remote module connector, the first three connections above just get tapped into the existing wires with the same function. Switch A and Switch B wires get connected together inside the remote module and are used to keep the quad running. They are disconnected to kill the quad.

On a DC powered 4 pin CDI it looks like they use the remote to switch off the 12 volt power to the CDI - thus killing the spark. That means the existing 12 volt wire to the CDI must be cut and the Remote Switch wires need to be wired across the two cut ends.

On an AC powered CDI (5 or 6 pins) the Switch A and B wires are wired in series with the trigger signal from the stator to the CDI. Thus the trigger wire to the CDI must be cut, and the remote Switch wires are then wired to the two cut ends.

My only source of info for all of this is the published eton wiring diagrams, but it all seems fairly straight forward. You mentioned an eton site with some wiring info on remote modules. Could you post the link to that site so I can read that information as well?

How many wires does your CDI contain, and what are their colors?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the link to the Eton site ETON America.

The quad does not have a connector to plug the module into. The module is for a AXL 50 model years 06-08. I think my best option is to tap into the harness at some point.

Looking at the operators manual diagram for the quad, it shows a 3 wire CDI. I apologize, it was too nice of a day to tear the quad apart look at the inside.

The remote module wires are as follows: in the four pin connector are Brown, Blue/White, and Black/white; blue/yellow, White/Black, and black (all separate).

I will get the CDI info as soon as possible.