Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Oil On Drive Belt

Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Oil On Drive Belt

Sorry for the double post. One can be deleted.

----------------

I've got a 2006 LT80 that's stock and has always run great. Last week I was checking it over to get ready for the season and it won't go. The motor runs fine and revs, but the power isn't getting to the rear wheels. I suspected something with the belt, so I took off the left side inspection cover and there is some oil in there and it has gotten on the belt causing it to slip.

Not sure where the oil is coming from. While cleaning the air filter I vacuumed out the remaining sand from the air box. Could I have pulled a vacuum and sucked oil in from somewhere or is this just a coincidence?

I checked the oil injection pump and it doesn't appear to be leaking any down into the case. So where do I go from here? Any ideas? I searched this forum and the internet and all I've found is a mention of "the gear box gasket (under the rear clutch)." Could this be it?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Yes, the gear box gasket.
You'll have to remove the clutch cover to see for sure.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK. How do I get the nut off the clutch cover? Holding the rear brake wasn't enough. Standard nut, correct? Is it OK to take an impact to it or do I need the special tool?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Yes, use a impact. Use it to tighten also.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the clutch cover off and wiped everything down. I did't see anything obviously leaking around the gearbox gasket. I drained the gearbox oil and got the recommended 80cc, so unless it was overfilled from the factory, maybe that's not it.

The only other place oil could be coming from is the oil injection tank/line, right? I'll double check the oil injection pump and lines.

I put gearbox oil back in and will keep the side cover off to see if more oil weeps into that area. Oil is coming from somewhere, just have to figure out where.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Could be a crank seal. Better replace that while your in there (about 3 bucks a side).

Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just pulled the fixed drive gear off to get a look at the crank seal. Then I pulled off the right side fan cover to look at the seal on that side and about 10-20cc of blue premix oil came out. After disconnecting the premix hose from the injector earlier in the week I did have a slow drip, so premix could have somehow come from that, but I suspect not. There is enough dirt caked on the oil in the fan cover to make me think premix oil is getting in there somehow.

Next I took off the plastic head cover and found it a little bit oily on top of the case on the left side.

The hose from the left side to the right fan side is not oily and neither is the hose that goes from the air box to the left side cover. Does the fan pull or push air from/to the left side?

I'm stumped. Somehow oil is getting onto the V belt, but I can't find where the oil is coming from.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Fixxed drive gear? Do you mean the starter gear behind the front clutch? No leak there eh..
If you are leaving the oil injection line off, unless you have removed the pump drive, it'll pump the oil out.
Base gaskets have been known to leak...??

Air is drawn from the air cleaner on the left thru the clutchs and over to the fan which blows it over the cylinder.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not making much progress. I put it all back together after cleaning everything up on the left side. I again ended up with an oily residue on the rear of the left crankcase cover, so I replaced the gearbox gasket thinking that was it. That didn't do it. I still ended up with the same oily residue, which leads me back to the crankshaft seal.

I was running the engine with the rear on blocks and the inspection cover off and didn't see any smoke in there, but the oily residue is coming from somewhere and the crankshaft seal seems to be the only place left.

So how do I replace the crankshaft seal? The PDF copy of the service manual I found is missing the details / pages 3-17 & 3-18 were left out...of course. Isn't that how it always works? Hopefully I don't have to pull the piston and crankshaft and such. Damn this is frustrating.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

You pull the front clutch off, then the starter gear. You then pry the old seal out and install the new seal.
I put a film of greae on the seal and gently tap the new seal in till the lip on the seal contacts the cases.
FYI: I only use stock Suzuki seals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT80 Oil On Drive Belt