Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

1992 Suzuki lt80 NO BEUNO!! Non-starter POS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Suzuki lt80 NO BEUNO!! Non-starter POS

I picked up this bike from a buddy. He said it started and ran when he purchased it a year ago. When I got it, the crankcase was full of gas. The petcock had failed. I drained the case, pulled the and cleaned the carb, inspected the reed block, replaced the petcock, put a shaved head on it, new battery, new plug and it wont start. The plug is getting wet with fuel when in. When I ground it to the head it is getting good spark. It won't start, not even a sputter. So today, I replaced the right and left crank seals. The old ones didn't appear to be leaking, but I figured I already had it torn down so what the heck. Still not starting. I am at a loss. I even tried using some ether (I know that's not okay) but I wanted at least a sputter- NO GO with it either.

What do I check now? Can a coil be bad and still spark? I burned up my started tonight trying to get it rolling. grrrrrr! I have another but for the mean time Im using the pull start. I don't have the air box hooked up right now, but it should still fire without it, just run lean.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a compression check

Old 06-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

It's got 105-110 psi in the couple of checks I just did. I had one with 75 psi start with ether though. It wouldn't start on it's own, but when starting fluid was used it would fire up. This one won't even sputter. Thanks

Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

Have ou tried a fresh plug and hand choke the carb with two fingers in front of it since the air filter boot ain't hooked up

Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

U might pull the plug turn off fuel and try and start with plug out to make sure crankcase ain't full of fuel again.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I did try several new plugs. I didn't try covering the carb to choke it, the plug is wet. I can give that a try. I put a new pet **** on it, one with on or off, not vacuum assisted. The old style seems to fail a lot. This way I am sure fuel won't get in.

When I got the bike, it was loaded, so much so it was hydrolocked. I pulled the pipe and reed block along with cylinder to make sure all the fuel was out of it. What a pain.

I am at a loss. I will test the coil and stator tomorrow with my ohm meter to see if they are within spec. It looks like it is firing pretty good, but maybe it's too weak? I've never seen a bike with fuel, air, compression that won't at least try and start.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate your time.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When that wet, you usually need to apply full throttle to start it (needs the air).

Old 06-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

So..........
In my infinite wisdom when I saw the plug in the wire harness for the coil was cracked, I cut the plug and added a couple connectors to the end of the coil wires. Worked great or so I thought! Push the starter button and nice blue spark out of the plug.

I must have gotten the wires backwards. I found an old wire harness that came with a parts bike I have and cut the plug for the coil and spliced it into the one on the bike. First pull with the pull start she fired right up. Sputtered a bit then idled away. It's running really lean because the air box isn't hooked up, but running just the same! Now I need to button it all up and find a nice kid for the seat! Thanks guys for your suggestions with this one.

I was feeling so energetic after getting this one going that I rebuilt the carb on it's sister, put a new pet **** in the tank added some mixed fuel and fired it up as well. This one wasnt nearly as plugged with fuel as the other, but dang near! Had to dry the plug a few times and start it WOT but she sputtered to life. Now to fix the brakes!! Thanks again

Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear, persistance pays off.