Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sportsman 90

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90

Just acquired an 05 sportsman 90. The guy told me that it had sat about a year but ran when parked. Started messing with it and I can get it to crank when hooking directly onto the starter but not going through the start button. The horn also doesn' t work at the handlebar, but does at the horn. I know nothing about the wiring on these. The brake light doesn' have a bulb and was unplugged when I got it. The front brake handle pigtail is unplugged too, but not sure where it is supposed to be plugged. Also looking for insight as to what the black push button is between the neutral light and the reverse light. Any insight is appreciated.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Front brake "pigtail" is the combo brake light/starter sensor switch. It allows power to the starter relay under the seat.The fuse is also under the seat sometimes tucked below the relay.Also the tethered safety switch on the handle bars if faulty can keep one from running.Item #19 on the break down for the sensor switch.A good manual with a wiring diagram can help you sort things out.2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 90 4X2 ATV REPAIR MANUAL

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 90-edbf95859d5ed618a7edd10d6c7d74ae54a4e10c.png  
Old 12-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Thank you for the reply. I dont see anywhere that tge front brake pigtail is supposed to plug into. If that isn' plugged in, will the horn still work or does it cut all powe to that whole assembly?

Old 12-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plus in to the small hole in the brake housing. When you press the brake lever it pushes the plunger in,allows power to the starter relay and also controls the brake light.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 90-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 AM

I don't see where the other end plugs onto. It is plugged in at the brake, runs over through the pod and is hanging there. Another question...sorry...the previous owner obviously hit something with the quad and the front plastic bumper is gone. Are the headlights working or just reflectors?

Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Can't remember off hand if just dummies are working units like the later models.. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...akelight-cb-cc The cheap manual will help you on your wiring questions and problems.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Will the starter relay get power from either brake or does it have to be the front brake? The rear brake seems to be wired up as it should be. I don't know that I have a tethered shutoff at all. Looks like I will have a project!

Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Relay gets its power from the left brake switch only. Should have the tethered safety switch unless the owner tried to by pass. Item #9.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...al-parts-cb-cc The cheap manual with its wiring diagram can help. Better than guessing when you're playing with wiring issues and other problems.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Relay gets its power from the left brake switch only. Should have the tethered safety switch unless the owner tried to by pass. Item #9.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...al-parts-cb-cc The cheap manual with its wiring diagram can help. Better than guessing when you're playing with wiring issues and other problems.
I downloaded the manual. My tether switch is between the neutral and reverse lights on the pod. Once I was able to push it in, hold the left brake, and the start button, she fired up! It's been sitting so I will probably need to clean the carb to get it running like it should. I still don't know what they did with the throttle switch/right brake switch. It goes down and hangs and the black and gray wires that are supposed to be the throttle sensing wires are wired together, but not at the throttle! Hopefully I will get it figured out from here. I appreciate your time!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Po probably by passed the switch on the handle bars down where they tied into the harness and just left the switch wire hanging. If you don't replace the switch be sure to tell the kiddos to hold the brake when starting anyway for safety reasons.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 90