Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

kazuma falcon 110 burning oil, engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kazuma falcon 110 burning oil, engine replacement?

I picked up a kazuma 110 off craigslist a few weeks ago for 125 bucks, knowing it had a shifting issue. I figured it was worth a gamble at that price since the quad was in great shape overall. I got it running quickly and it did indeed have a shifting problem, which may or may not be related to the issue i'm posting about.

I took the side cover off, inspected the clutch and inside of it to make sure that there wasn't gears breaking apart or anything severe, everything looked good, I did have to bend back the connector arm that engages the clutch since whoever messed with it before me didn't put the clutch adjuster in right at it forced the arm to bend. I got everything back together, added oil to the the appropriate level and it started right up. Here's where it gets a little weird. The quad runs like a top aside from the fact that there is clearly oil being burned, and after riding around for a little while the oil level in the glass indicator was completely empty.
So my question is two part:

1) what could be causing oil being burnt and allow the engine to still run well? I doubt if the engine running would move enough oil to completely make it appear there is no oil in the engine, but i've been wrong before.

2) Being that it has a shifting issue as well, if there is something wrong with the rings or valve guides would it be worth it to replace the engine? I see you can buy the 110 engines online for 185 bucks. has anyone attempted an engine swap in these before? If so is there any issues with doing it?

Old 08-13-2018, 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

All that has happened is the oil level has got below the sight glass. Check the engine breather system, as a blockage can make it burn oil. Bad, or missing valve guide seals can make an engine burn oil, but most likely worn rings and/or bore. If you still have selector problems and decide to go for a new engine, check it is the same, as 110s are available as automatic with no reverse, forward/reverse automatics, three speed plus reverse, three speed only, and probably several other combinations of gearing.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, I will check to see what the oil level is like now that its been sitting for a while. I will also check the breather. If it turns out the rings or anything else is bad, and i have the shifting problem I will probably go with the engine swap. I found a 110 with 3 speed and reverse that should work. I just hope it's plug and play for the most part.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

can anyone verify the oil capacity? the manual says .6 quarts roughly but i've also read a full quart. Keep in mind this is from a completely side cover removal drain. If it is indeed 1 quart it would make sense why the oil level was low. I'm also starting think maybe the head gasket is just bad, since i'm not blowing any oil out of the exhaust, the head and exhaust port itself is just smoking like there's been oil all over it.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

More likely to be cam or valve cover gaskets than head gasket leaking oil. Top it up on level ground, until it is up to the mark on the sight glass. Leave a while to check the level stays there, then take it for a short run. Again let the level settle and see if it has used any oil. If it isn't smoking, it probably won't have.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the helpful reply. The plan of action is to add more oil and see if its burning it. If it’s not and the engine appears good, I think I’ll throw some money at a new clutch, clutch actuator and clutch actuator arm to see if I can narrow down the shifting issue. I think the shifting issue is clutch related since it will shift when moving quickly but won’t shift at a stand still or moving slowly. Also you can feel slippage in third gear like the clutch isn’t engaging all the way. For 50 bucks worth of parts it’s worth a shot if the motor is good.