Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Legal questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal questions

We all struggle with the "rules" associated with age limitations etc on kid's machines. I am concerned when I hear kids under age are riding machines that legally can't be ridden. I myself recently crossed over the the "Dark" side, and bought my 7 year old his first ATV, a new Raptor 80. Not exactly going to set the world on fire with it, can be governed down etc, and a machine I feel he can grow with, and learn with. My reasons for bying it over a 50cc is simple. My son is large for his age. (His closest sibling is 6'4" and growing. He is a good 6 inches taller and 15 to 20 pounds heavier than his peers, and the 50 just can't hack it. Secondly, the land on which he will ride is not flat, so not only does the machine have to pull his weight, but it has to also pull it uphill. Something the 50 can not do either.
The question I have, is do you think I am making a rational decision? And can the government legislate arbitrary regulations without taking into consideration other mitigating factors? Sure, he could be out there playing soccer etc, but we happen to enjoy 4 wheeling... as a family. I can guarantee he won't ride the thing without my being there right beside him the whole time...and I know that he will receive the best training possible....

Any thoughts?

Old 12-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Legal questions

Welcome to the dark side!

First off - There is no "law" about age limits and quads. The only thing that approaches a law on this issue is that there are some riding areas that have chosen to follow the old CSPC guidelines. I'm sure you know what they are: Age 6 - 12 = under 70cc. Age 12 - 16 = under 90cc. These guidelines were never a law per say, but they were adopted by all the major manufactures around '84 or '85. The guidelines were in effect for ten years and thus expired completely several years ago. Most manufactures still follow them and most dealers are required to follow the guidelines from their manufactures. It's all a liability thing. I'm sure most of us are familiar with signing a form from the dealer stating that we understand the above mentioned age guidelines. The bottom line for purchasing an ATV for your child that is younger than the guidelines is that you must assume all the liability. Even though the dealer may "know" who is really going to ride that new 250Z, it is not a good idea to bring your 14 year old into the store to see how it fits him. You'll have to go by yourself and just buy the thing so the dealer can honestly say that they sold it to an adult. There is a word for all this - STUPID!

As most on these forums know, limits for youngsters on ATV's should be set based on their physical size and riding experience. It is much more dangerous for a 5'-10" 14 year old to ride an LT80 or TRX90 than it would be to put them on a Recon. However, I recall one ride where I passed an ATV (Honda fortrax 300) carrying three young girls. The driver was maybe 11, with the others being about 9 and 6. The 9 year old was on the back rack and the little one was - you guessed it - on the front rack. They were riding on a fairly moderate trail and were riding alone. After about three miles we came out of the woods and saw their dad sitting in his pickup. As long as there are idiots like that out there, the rest of us will be stuck with some form of "let's pass the liability" guidelines.

What I do is this: I have three sons, aged 11, 9 and 5. The oldest started riding an LT50 at age 6. He stayed in the yard under constant supervision. Middle brother rode a bit at age 5 with me trotting along side. My oldest loves to ride, my middle one does not go very much. By age 8 we sold the 50 for a TRX90 and since then my oldest has racked up about 1,500 miles of all kinds of trails. We always travel with an adult in front and an adult behind - he is always in the middle. We use voice activated helmet radios, which I consider a must. We practiced in the yard first, when he reached the point that he would stop instantly upon just one word, then he was ready for the trails. Now he goes anywhere that our P650 and Eiger can go - he just needs a nudge every now and then when he gets high centered.

Currently, we are in violation of the guidelines. He cannot "legally" ride the 90 for another year. However, with his size and experience he is already ready for a larger bike. Hopefully within a year we will move him up to something in the Ozark/ Recon class. We'll keep the 90, as next summer my youngest wants to start riding. (He probably will not get out of the yard until he's 8). My middle son does sometimes ride the 90, but only on 'easy' trails.

So I am in violation of the "guidelines". Because of this, I get to spend some real quality time with my son before he turns into a teenager. He has learned responsibility, trust and patience as well as a responsibility for his equipment. As a parent, I am assuming the liability of the safety of my son. I'm OK with that.

Jaybee

Old 12-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Legal questions

Well I think you did the right thing! Getting a machine that actually fits the child is more important than the "rules" IMO.(with proper adult supervision of course)The machine you chose is good.A great starter quad. happy trails [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Legal questions

I just bought my 9 y/o a SP90 ..... for all the same reasons ..... He only rides under supervision and I can "restrict" the ignition if needed ... but, he's got a great head on his shoulders and keeps his wits about him ... It'll be a few years before he'll be riding unsupervised ....

Chris

Old 12-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Range Rover
Default Legal questions

i think you are doing the right thing i have a son 10 a daughter 12 and they both love to ride i got them a artic cat 90 for xmas this year it is perfect size for them although my daughter is bigger than my boy
she still has fun on it i am disapointed in the selection of 4 wheelers out there for kids say 11 to 14 i am looking for a bigger bike for her and there is hardly ant thing between 90cc to 250cc
90cc is almost to small for some kids and a 250 is to big no by size but speed ther are no safty limeters
on these bigger bikes suzuki makes a 160cc and yamaha makes a 200cc but no one in my area stocks them so i can check them out in my area if you ride on state ground coral pink sand dunes your kids must have a licence saying they passed a state saftey course other wise you can ride where ever you want i always make sure the parents are there we like to ride to and every one has to wear a helmet allways gloves and saftey gear

Old 12-29-2002, 08:19 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Legal questions

( i am looking for a bigger bike for her and there is hardly ant thing between 90cc to 250cc) scooterpred Look at the Yamaha 125 Breeze it is an excelent machine not too big for a youngster or too small for an adult.I got one for my son when he was 9 and he will ride it untill he is 12.He can ride right up with the big guys with no probblem.

Old 01-10-2003, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default Legal questions

I'm in the same situation, & I aggree with all that has been said. I do, however, have a question: what do you guys do about insurance for these quads. I've got a 7 year old (big kid) on a badger & I'm afraid to try to put insurance on it 'cause I know they'll ask the age of the rider.

Old 01-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Legal questions

They did indeed ask the age of my son.Seems that under 12 doubles the charge.But they gladly offered the insurance.

Old 01-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Default Legal questions

You know, I've got to confess that I didn't even consider the age of the rider with my insurance. I just called my agent, had him add the Honda 90 and we are covered.

Jaybee

Old 01-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Legal questions

I think you made the right decision. My son is only 5, has been riding an LT50 for the last year and a half. I am going to bump him up to an 80-90cc quad, hopefully for his birthday.

He started out not riding very well, but at 4 what do you expect, and I would ride right along side him, or with my wife in front and me behind. He started doing circles in the gravel driveway.

He is now a bigger boy, about 4ft tall and 85 pounds. He rides very well, has excellent throttle control and uses good judgement.

He had trouble understanding that you did not have to push the throttle all the way when you wanted to go forward, but he has learned how to use the throttle and the brakes very well. There is no way I would put my nephew who is 6 on the machine without some serious talking to first, but my son handles it so well that he really needs something a little bigger with a bit more power.

I think a quad that is too small for a rider is just as dangerous as one that is too large.

Well those are my thoughts and get out and ride with your family.

Later
Bat