Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Quad for a 5yr old. (girl) which one???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad for a 5yr old. (girl) which one???

We have Lem's. Koty won a National last year on one. They are the fastest 50's out there if you can get one to finish a race. Stay away for these things. The rear axles will snap like tooth picks. Before they had two axles and you could buy them fairly cheaply anyway, but now it is a piece and they break more because now you can't run the AC hubs with them. I really was hoping they would have fixed this problem. I just got back from the Indy show and I was disappointed that they did not. I was planning on getting one to run in the Nationals this year, but not now. If anyone knows a solution to these axles I am all ears.
As far as Tiawan bikes go, They have finally come into there own. If you go with a Dinli or Kasea, There quality is great! As far as the DS90 4stroke, Let's pump that thing up to a 122cc and see what you think! Now you have 4.3 hp to the rear wheels, Put the 122cc kit on and you will be at 11.6hp! It will not sit at the trailer after that, I guarantee!

Old 02-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with you about the axles.We run axles made by CASS CYCLE and haven't had a problem and it didn't matter if we ran std,+2,or+4 we haven't broke any yet.Before we got the custom axles i would carry 2 extra sets because they would break.same with spindles but since we changed we haven,t had any problems at all.I'M GETTING 13.5HP out of 2 of my CAYMANS and they are a lot less than 122cc plus about a 100lbs lighter.We are getting some new swingarms from CASS CYCLE that have a solid axle and eccentric carrier like the HONDA TRX250R i know they are working on one that the length is adjustable but how far i don,t know yet.Ialso have a cayman with the one peice axle and i have the alum hubs allyou have to do is machine the hole for the rear in 3/4 of an inch and counter sink the axle nut and the front all you do is get the front drum backing plate and bolt it on so the drum isn't part of the rim and eighter get alum rims or the older style cayman rims.my 13.5hp caymans are 80cc

Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

MXDad, The 122cc is a 4 stroke kit. You can't really compare with the 2 strokes. Our 2 stroke 90cc machines are putting out 16hp. There is a weight difference, but that is mainly from beefer frame, axles, swing-arms, physical size, etc. THe LEM is best at the 50cc class, Toss up at 70cc. Over that, the Dinli and Kasea will wax them. I will look into Cass Cycle. I have got to get some more stuff for LEM's anyway. We have a 125cc 2 stroke machine that I just got in. we have not dynoed it, but good gosh what a monster!! I am trying to get the clutching right now so it will stay on the ground.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

where do i find out about the bore kit for the ds-90?

Old 02-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hey thanks i'll look into that. i like the ease of a four stroke.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good price. Check the rear over really good. With the engine being part of the suspension, If something goes wrong back there it can get ugly quick. Let us know how it works out.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

I bought my daughter a Kasea Skyhawk 50. One of my main reasons was the rear foot brake. She is small and couldn't reach the hand brakes on some of the other machines. All of these minis should have foot brakes for safety. Another plus is the CVT tranny. I think the LT50 has a single speed which might get bogged down in the sand...I'm not sure, something to check out.

Another reason is the amount of aftermarket stuff for it. The 50 and 90 use the same frame so later on I can swap in the 90 motor and after that I can put on the big bore kit. Like stated earlier...16HP is attainable.

I bought it for $1800 and think it is a quality product. These Taiwanese quads got a bad rap in the beginning, but they are not the same old crap anymore. I am really impressed with the workmanship and it looks like they have taken the time to improve on earlier mistakes.

I think you should at least check them out. They look like mini 400EXs and are very cool! As far as looks go, it's one of the most proportional minis. I think I enjoy riding it more than my daughter does!

My daughter is 7 now and about 42" tall. Here is a pic of her standing beside it for comparison.

Here is her doing a wheelie...with a little help!

Old 02-20-2003, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would look at the hyosung made atv's. They make a great little atv and it is dependable. They have tested them in the mag's and always get hight ratings. They make a 50 and a 90. Also everyone talks about the suzuki atv's alot and this company made the suzuki for many years. I am talking about the 50's. They actully still produce the LT160 for suzuki. So hyosung can't sell it over here in the states, they now only sell the 50's and 90's with their own name on it. Look at this website and you will see what I mean.

http://www.hyosungmotors.co.kr/e_main_index.htm

Here is the hyosung importer's website so you can see the atv's.

http://www.modcycles.com/ingles/index-2.htm

Also the LEM is a great little atv and you can get the morini motor parts at a lot of places.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Range Rover

We're thinking about passing on our son's Sportsman 90 (great kids quad) to our 5 year old daughter and getting him a Sparks modified Raptor. He's only 9 years old, but if I want him to win 4SW when he's 11, I'd better get started!!

All kidding aside, my daughter is turning 5 in March and we are trying to decide between buying her a 50, or getting a bigger quad for Patrick and giving her the Sportsman. It has a throttle limiter and a removeable speed limiter that won't let it go over 15mph unless you remove the jumper on the cdi. It is very easy to ride and does pretty good in the sand (which is where we ride most of the time) even with the stock tires. I wish there were more 125 - 175cc four-stroke quads to choose from. The main reason I would give Sabrina the 90 is because I doubt the 50 will do very well in the sand. Also, she is tall for her age, and would probably outgrow the 50 in one season.

Someone had mentioned suspension travel earlier in this thread. The Sportsman 90 (same quad as the Predator 90 w/different plastic) has 4.25in of travel front & rear. Not bad for a stock 90!

Old 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree... We have a Skyhawk 90 for my Daughter,call and talk to Greg, he is very knowlegable,WE bought a Trinity pipe from him for our 90 and he has helped us with wiring issues in the past.. Another good mini is the Eton viper 500 and 90 cc WE bought one for my Sons 5th B-day last year .We bought it from a dealer in Colorado for 1499.00.It runs like a charm,weve had it almost a year now,and its got some good torque too.Not to mention .looks good and lots of aftermarket for both mini quads..