Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

getting a Gas Gas.... which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a Gas Gas.... which one?

I've decided to get a Gas Gas ATV and am VERY close to putting the order in for one.... now i have to make the decision.
which one? 300 2-stroke or 450 EFI 4-stroke?
my riding includes some local races for now, dunes, and occasional trips to local trails.
i've been on a modified LT250r for 3-1/2 years, have liked the 2-stroke power, & local race classes(that i've been in) do not have strict displacement rules for the most part.... although i would like to go to a bigger event in the future... ITP quadcross, WORCS or other.... to see how i fare

on one hand i like 2-stroke simplicity, ease of mods, generally lower weight & high power output potential... on the other hand the thumper is EFI, no jetting ever, has almost as much power as the 2-stroke, similar power characteristics, generally are a little less maintenance, run pump gas, and mods are available for it too. cost difference is close enough on these models that i'm having a tough time deciding...

for now, i'm leaning toward the 2-stroke, b/c i ride dunes a few times a year & the reasons above

anyone else have thoughts on this?

Old 03-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a Gas Gas.... which one?

I too came off a quadracer and went to the cannondale last year. I loved the machine and still have it. As for the GasGas I went with the 2-stroke route because I am a 2-stroke rider and that is what I like riding and racing.

As far as advice for which one you should get the ulitmate decision is yours. From the specs that GasGas gives on both quads they are very close in weight and horse power so your decision should be soley decided on which type of engine charactistics best suites your riding style and area you'll be riding in.

The biggest thing I can tell you is to make sure you get the newer version with the 36 body 19" long travel front shocks. The reason is GasGas has updated the quads a little and that is the way to tell.

One thing that may help make your decision on the quad is availiblity of the models at your dealer. My dealer was promised 2 of the 450 and has now been told that he'll have to take a 3rd 300 instead for now do to the 450 have been spoken for already by dealers that have sold them already. So first I would find out if both will be available in the time frame your looking at.

There is a member on here that has a 300 and a 450 I'm sure he can tell you the differences between the two and which one would be better for different types of riding/racing if there is a differece.

Hope I helped. Good luck and you'll love either one.

Mike