Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Liquid Cooled Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 05:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Cooled Cayman

I'm thinking of buying a Lem Cayman LC for my 7 Year old boy who has being racing for 2 years.
The distributor in our country (Not US) does not stock it so I have to Buy one sight unseen. No modifactions are allowed at all under our racing rules and this quad looks like it develop's the most HP in stock form. The research I've done shows it has a Morini scooter engine (APM). I know they don't sell them in the US but doe's anyone have one and what are your thought's on it. From what I've read in other thread's they seem a lot better than the older air cooled models. What horse power do they actually produce?.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Quad Dad,

If your rules say "No" changes then the LEM is not the machine to go with. Will LC be the Fastest? I would assume so. Will it finish the race? I assume not. Safe? This thing will break and could make your jid crash. LEM need a lot of work done to make them a viable race machine. They are just made to flimsy.

I would recommend a DRR for your racing needs. They are the fastest out of the box.(have not run again a LC) THey are bullet proof race machines. They will finish the race. My son is racing one right now in the Nationals and is leading the series. His closest competitor is on a LEM that has had motor failures in 3 of 8 motos so far.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your help. There is no distributor for DRR here but I might ship one over. How much HP do they produce and is the racing CDI on there web site make much difference?. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

If the LEM cayman LC is using the same motor as the R2 and R3 bikes then it produces a lot of power(12.8) and is very reliable. They use morini motors and the motors hold up real good. Also alot of manufactures everywhere use this motor which will make it easy for you to get parts for.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

I have not put the DRR's on a dyno, but I will guess that after you remove the rev limiter or get the cdi without the rev limiter, then the power is around 6hp to the rear wheels. Get a cdi box, change teh rear sprocket to a 27 tooth, put in some carbon fiber reeds and rejet. You will then have a screaming machine (7.5hp?)

Old 05-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Drr50 sounds like the machine for us where is the best place to buy from. Ive e-mailed drr 3 times but no reply as to who there dealers are. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE A LC50 CAYMAN THAT QUAD RIPS.IT HAS ELECTRIC START AND IS OIL INJECTED.THE MOTOR THAT IS IN IT IS NOT THE R2/R3.I HAVE 2 CAYMANS THAT I PUT THE R3 MOTOR IN AND THEY FLY AS WELL.I HAD THE LC50 FOR WELL OVER A YEAR NOW AND HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL.THE HP RATING UNRESTRICTED IS A LITTLE OVER 9HP.THIS MACHINE IS STOCK WITH ONLY THE SNOW HOG TIRES AS A MOD.THIS THING EATS MODDED LT80S AND THE PRED90.THESE MACHINES ARE FOR SALE HERE IN CANADA.THE TRANS IS A CVT AND HAS A BACK UP KICK START.PEOPLE WHO USE THESE FORUMS SHOULD KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.TEHY DON'T BREAK.WHERE IS HE GETTING HIS INFORMATION FROM.IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT DON'T SPEAK.I HAD THE FIRST LC50 IN NORTH AMERICA.THE ONLY ONE IN CANADA.2 OTHERS HAVE BEEN SOLD(OUT HTE BACK DOOR)IN THE US.NOW IF ANY OF THE BRAND X ATVS WANT TO COME HERE TO RACE WE WILL BE MORE THAN WIILING TO SHOW YOU WHAT A STOCK LC50 CAN DO.I AM NOT PUTTING DOWN THE OTHER MACHINES BUT I ONLY SPEAK OF WHAT I KNOW.AND YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH A LEM.IF YOU WANT I COULD SEND YOU SOM PICS OR IF YOU ARE NEAR ME OR VICE VERSA.YOU ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO TEST IT OUT.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you are in the U.S. and want a LC LEM cayman just give me a call and I can get you one.
Amicks Superstore
336-672-1196
Polini, LEM, Cobra
Asheboro, NC

Old 06-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

I do know what I am talking about. I am talking from experience. I have not seen a LC LEM. I am going on the issues from the air cooled machines. THe spindles will snap. The axles will break. The frames will crack. You want me to keep going? Now, You say the LC is a CVT machine? Do you know what a CVT is? It is my understanding that the LC's are still a centrifical clutch. Am I wrong? Did they make a different transmission for the LC's? I think the closest we will be to Canada is Mass for the last Nationals. Let's put the LC out in the 70 class and see what it can do. What you say? If it beats the machine we are running, I will buy one from you. Seriously, Tommy

Old 06-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

OK, Just answered my own question, The data shows it has a variator transmission. weight increase is 16 KG over the Cayman. What have they done to help with the other problems? My challenge still stands for Mass.

Quick Reply: Liquid Cooled Cayman