KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Any problems known for the cannondales?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems known for the cannondales?

I know cannondale is out of business but besides that are there any major problems with the cannondale lineup. I own a 01 raptor so i am worried about major problems. they seem to be great quads and well built. also what are the opinions on getting parts for them if things should break? difficult or easy? any info on these thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

The fuel mapping has to be redone. The crank retaining bolts have to be updated because the cases weren't designed to be strong enough and flex around. The update is a band aid at best. The dealers are no more so you will have to find a friendly forum member who can direct you to parts availability.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

The fuel mapping is fine. Some bikes left the factory quite a bit on the rich side. This is easily fixed. Buy yourself a maintainence and diagnostic kit ($300) and you can make mixture adjustments, and change mapping for aftermarket exhausts, etc. The Stud Update is an important one, however, I have not heared of a crank or tranny plate related falure on any engines that have had this done --PERIOD! I guess it is a pretty good band-aid![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I am a Speed owner and I have not had any problems with mine. In my opinion to be a dale owner you will have to be a hands on type of person with good mechanical skills since dealers are few a far between. There are many updates and service bullitens that HAVE TO be dealt with. Most are very easy to do and cost little or nothing. But there is one that has caused almost all engine failures. The socket head cap screws that hold down transmision cartridge plate (also known as the crank studs)have a tendancy to come loose for several reasons. One is that the bolts were not properly locktited at the factory or not locktited at all . If even one of these bolts works loose it will work its way out and hit the clutch basket. It seems to always be the same bolt in every case. When this happens it pretty muchs locks the engine or grinds up all the oil pump drive gears and ends up trashing many engine parts. The good news is that there are several kits out there now to correct this problem which prevent the bolts loosening and could have saved lots of engines. If you purchase one that has been updated already you will be in good shape.
Im not sure what Querty was refering to about redoing the mapping but some machines didnt have the injection system settings set right like throttle position sensors and injector offsets. These can easily be corrected with the diagnostic kit which I highly recomend for all owners. Stalling and plug fouling is the best sign of incorrect settings. It seems that preventive maintanence is the order of the day and checking to make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight will save headaches later on.
Dales have a bit more involved oil changes with more oil filters than other atvs but they are easy to do. Mine seemed to be tuned perfectly from the factory and runs great.

As far as parts go there is a web sight starting up soon that will be for dale parts. Many dale parts can be substituted with other manufacturers parts like axles, sprockets,a arms, brakes and can be bolted up. The fuel system is made by Optimum so all those parts can be obtained through them. Many engine parts like the tranny,clutch ,pump gears,pistons ,water pump, were made by sub contractors and are available through them. Then there is ebay which seems to have lots of parts also. I think that unless you have a major engine failure it looks like parts are not going to be a problem. All service manuals ,parts manuals ,owners manuals ,service bullitens and different maps are available online from some dale web sites and other members. Some of the people that worked for cannondale have made themselves available online to answer questions.
The one thing cannondale owners really have going for them is the bond that seems to develope with other owners. I have heard of one guy traveling hundreds of miles to help out with a stud update . I will also make myself available for any dale owner who needs help in central WI.
From the people I have talked to some dales have lots of problems and some have no problems . Its like rolling the dice but look at all the trouble all sport quads seem to be having.( yamaha ,susuki,v force,predators) .
In short if you want a average quad that is gas and go I dont think dales are for you. If you are a techno junkie who wants high performance and a cool alloy frame and willing to keep a closer eye on maintenece nows the time to buy. There are some great deals to be had right now. I for one will try to have try a moto in the stable soon. I suggest finding one to ride to see for yourself if the performance is worth it. The decal on the tank says it all.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE A 2002 CANNIBAL AND HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH ENGINE JUST STALLING NO MATTER WHAT SPEED I AM TRAVLING AT, IT WILL START RIGHT BACK UP AN DRUN FOR WHILE THEN STA LL AGAIN, ANF FIXES ?

Old 03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
sgv
Weekend Warrior

Maybe yopu can help me!! I have one 440 stoped one full year due to I don´´t have the ECU cable to connect to hte PC and calibrate the injectors? Where I can buy it o what to do?

Old 03-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

First of all if you have a Cannondale and you aren't on www.cannondaler.com and www.cannondaleriders.com you are missing out of the best tech info and the best group of ATV owners on the planet.

Secondly, Hakeem - 99% chance you just have a ground problem. Check all of them and make sure they are tight on the frame and also the fuel pump grounds and the battery connections. Good chance that is it.

sgv - you can buy the electronics at www.cdaleparts.com or from Haydug of www.haydugcycles.com