KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Lots of ATK vr450 Questions,

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of ATK vr450 Questions,

Hey guys,

Well, long story short my Polaris Predator has been an absolute nightmare. One which may goto court to settle. If i get the money back for this purchase, i'm looking at another machine. Being the all-american type, I've began looking at ATK. Reading these forums has brought up a lot of questions for me.

1) the cannondales were manufactured w/ some defects, do the ATK's have all of these problems resolved, i'm not looking to purchase an $8000 machine and have to tear it down as soon as i get it to fix things... that just seems too much like my predator...
2) How is this machine's power output compared to the two machines i ride with the most: a YFZ450 and a Predator. (acceleration & top speed are both considerations)
3) How is the suspension / handling?
4) The factory offers different ECU setting, would the 11K settings from the MOTO be possible on the VR450, and if this is done by the factory, would waranty cover any problems that come from revving this high? also how massive of an increase is the 11K rev limiter? is it able to best the YFZ / predator then?
5) finally overall reliability impressions, since i don't have a dealer in the area, that i know of, i can't be having to take this thing in every week like i do my predator, or order parts for broken stuff every other day.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of ATK vr450 Questions,

Atk's still use the same rod bearing but it is balanced.Some say they last, most change the bearing out.That would be all i would be worried about.
Power wise we dynoed a stock vr and it had 37hp wich would be more than enough to run with a stock yfz and predator.
Front arvins suck(which the vr's come with), the rear fox or ohlins is nice.
Mapping should not affect warranty as there are no differences in motors from a vr to a mx.
Pm me if interested a dealer close by has a new one to sell for a good price in central wi.