KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Why oh why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know they are fast straight line. Still, my piped YFZ would crush a stock 700 in a drag, did it a ton of times. Once you throw some corners and jumps in, forget it. The KTMs have high end, long travel suspension and weigh 200lbs less. They are designed specifically to race while the Kaw is designed for a more leisurely pace. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but if they were truely better at jumping and in the mud you would see them being raced more in XC besides the ute lites class. These days you will see KTM in every class except the ute classes.

You ever try to get a 700 out of the mud once it is stuck? You need at least 3 grown men, a boy, and an ambulance to take the hernia recipients to the hospital. They are some seriously heavy pigs!! A 450 on the other hand is usually a one man job, 2 at most in all but the worst cases.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't disagree with you about much really... but here are the 2 things I do disagree with...

Lot's of KFX700's are at woods racing events.
KFX700's have taken the overall in morning GNCC events... over 450's and all.

A KFX700 will f'N smoooke a piped 450 in a drag... SORRY.

So will a 700R, 800R, and probably my Polaris 400 too...

Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by duster
...A KFX700 will f'N smoooke a piped 450 in a drag... SORRY.

So will a 700R, 800R, and probably my Polaris 400 too...
You mean these in stock form vs piped 450? Not a chance. Not a YFZ or Honda anyway. I've seen those (and been on the YFZ) handily beat a Stock 700R.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

You are full o'crap too... or something is wrong

I am a 450 owner but I am not delusional either.
It would have to be a very short drag for a 450 to stay out front.
Any piped 450 regardless of brand...

I had a fully built YFZ maxed out everywhere, and it would pull a 700R out of the hole, but would not stay there. The 700R will run'em down on top end, end of story.

The autos have the power and the perfect trans gearing to pull the higher gears for top speed and still have it out of the hole as well. The 700R is not a lot different either, except you have to have a bit more rider skill on getting things to the ground.

I have no use at all for drag racing... ever...
But I also have no use for skewing the truth either.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

OH GOODY..A debate!

2 machines. 1) 450 2)700
Brands don't matter.
Both have the same rear tire size. Both have the same gearing. Both run at 10k rpm's.
I see this as: equall in top speed but the time getting there may differ.
I also bet that most think the 700 would be faster, and may be,,,but why?

An example may be:: "had a fully built YFZ maxed out everywhere, and it would pull a 700R out of the hole, but would not stay there. The 700R will run'em down on top end, end of story."
Does the 700 turn that many more rpm's? Is gearing that different? Tire size?
We know that the YFZ will hit the rev limiter at about 9k. I have to believe that the 700 would too.

So why is a 700 faster under the above circumstances?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by LT80
OH GOODY..A debate!

2 machines. 1) 450 2)700
Brands don't matter.
Both have the same rear tire size. Both have the same gearing. Both run at 10k rpm's.
I see this as: equall in top speed but the time getting there may differ.
I also bet that most think the 700 would be faster, and may be,,,but why?

An example may be:: "had a fully built YFZ maxed out everywhere, and it would pull a 700R out of the hole, but would not stay there. The 700R will run'em down on top end, end of story."
Does the 700 turn that many more rpm's? Is gearing that different? Tire size?
We know that the YFZ will hit the rev limiter at about 9k. I have to believe that the 700 would too.

So why is a 700 faster under the above circumstances?
Yes... the gearing is different... maybe on final drive on the sprockets, not sure... but people forget the internal trans gear ratios may be different.

Bottom line is a YFZ is quicker, but a 700R is faster.
YFZ revs up quicker, shoots off quicker, but also winds out quicker.
The 700R has the power and torque to pull the taller gears.
Enough that it almost comes out of the hole almost fast... despite gearing and weight.
But will certainly run a 450 down in the distance.

I think the only reason it couldn't stay pretty much dead beside me is wheel spin to be honest.

Myself, as I said, I have no use for drag racing.
I like quick...

I would like to have a 700 in place of my 400EX though.
Better low end than the 450's like the 400EX but also quicker and more powerful.

Riding HARD I would prefer the 700R... riding RECREATION I would prefer the KFX700.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

duster has some very good points i agree with most of them but no machine has it all!!!!!! i dont care what you ride your machine will never be best at evrything which is really annoying everyone get off your horse and just admit it. yes there are quads out there that will smoke my 700 but there are quads that will smoke any quad you have such as my frinds 400ex frame with a 1300cc busa motor on it but he cant turn for **** it all depends on what you are into !!!!!!!!!personal prefrence!!!!!!!! but also another point you all on the 450s have "civic syndrom" yes it will be quick but its like a 4cyl maxed out to do the work a v8 (american car) can do easily.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

and scooter im sorry no i have never gotten my 700 stuck i have a snorkel and always have good tires on it i have gone through mud that my dad has gotten stuck in his 500 4wd utl i have come very close to getting stuck but it just keeps slinging mud until i walk out of it you may argue that i havent taken it through deep mud b4 any of you open your mouth wait til the weekend (maybe later my belt needs to be changed) wen i go on a riding trip ill take pics

Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Right... no one is best at all...

That is why I have a few myself...

All mine are somewhat similar in some ways but different in others.

400EX... good in the slow technical stuff and tight trails... just good enough to be fun in others. Weaknesses... old tech, hot, and gets boring when trying to ride hard/fast.

400L... Very quick, no shifting, easy to ride, has revers good in about any trail situation, huge gains out of small cheap mods. Weaknesses... +100 lbs... suspension... not good on really slow really steep uphills or long technical downhills.

KFX450R... Really quick, explosive, 2 stroke excitement in a 4 stroke, excellent chassis, excellent handling, great mechanical reliability for a 450, has reverse, is a blast to ride anywhere you can carry speed. Weaknesses... extra electronics, harder to ride in the slow technical steep stuff.

Every one made has it's ups and downs....

Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by duster
You are full o'crap too... or something is wrong
Uh, ok... Anyway yes if you want to race to top speed yes, a 700 will win no arguement there but, I though we were talking drag, in a 300 ft drag it won't have time to catch up.