KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Remapping and Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 10:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got to see a Blaze in action, and MAN is that thing loud. I was talking to the Cannon rep, and he said you could remap with the stock square silencer left on it. My question is do you guys think it would create a noticeable HP difference if I kept the quieter exhaust? Would it be worth the remap?

Old 05-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I believe HMF makes a quiet core insert.

Old 05-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

OK, so how much louder is that compared to stock? If you know decibels that would be great.

Old 05-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you put a silencer on it does that restrict it and lose horsepower? I guess whats the difference between a new exhaust or a silencer, or are they the same thing?

Old 05-07-2002, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

I would think you defeat the purpose of doing the remapping if you left the stock silencer on. It's going to be alot more restrictive with it on. I installed an HMF and it's definitely loud but where I ride, it's not an issue. Does the Blaze have the same FMF silencer as the Moto? I've heard the Moto and it's not near as loud as my HMF silencer.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

You can not run the Blaze or Moto Mapping without changing the exhaust. The Blaze is as loud as my Big Gun, I think it's 104 db. You can run a quiet core insert on the Big Gun and the HMF. It doesn't cut that much power.

Right now I'm finding out that it's not as simple as bolting on a aftermarket pipe and having the dealer load a different mapping on for you. Now since my quad is starting to break-in, I'm now running alittle rich. It's going to take some tinkering with to get it dead on. there are still alot of variables. Here are some notes from Thumper Talk.

""Idle RPM: Approximately 1900 RPM (Bike runs good here so I am not concerned about being under the 2000-2100 recommended level)

% Throttle @ Idle: 3.5-3.6%

How to lean: There are two settings that will give you a global lean out: Fuel Injector Flow Rate and Injector Offset. The GP Diagnostic and Maintenance Software can handle both of these adjustments.

Fuel Injector Flow Rate: This setting does just what is says or in other words tells the ECU how big the injector is. The larger the number the more fuel the ECU thinks will be pumped per shot. The larger the number the less time the injector will operate for a given setting i.e. the maps are set such that a specific amount of fuel is dispensed for a given RPM. Higher programmed flow rate equals less fuel and a lower programmed flow rate equals more fuel. My C440 came from the factory @ 2450, I went to 2600 and found that to be two lean and I have settled on 2511 (2.5% above the factory setting).

The engines tend to fatten up as they break in. The explanation from ‘Dale is that the injectors are breaking-in i.e. the flow rate is increasing. I suspect that as fuel runs through the line the fuel polishes the injector and the fuel flow has less resistance ergo more fuel. Adjust the Fuel Injector Flow Rate to compensate.

Injector Offset: The explanation I got on Injector Offset will take you back to some simple algebra, YUK! If you care to remember a formula 2X+Y=Z the Y component is the injector offset. The bigger the injector offset the higher the starting point the richer the mixture. The bikes come fat from the factory mine was 1.05 I am now at 0.55

Throttle Crispness: When I took delivery on my bike I was disappointed with the throttle response it was too sluggish. The bike had a lag in response to my wrist. GP explained what Acceleration Transient Sensitivity is. The is a setting that when you accelerate (open the throttle) the ECU will anticipate you acceleration and pump some programmed % more fuel, my bike was set from the factory on map to be 150%. I lowered it to 125% for Map 1 (E), 115% for Map 2 (C) and 105 % for Map 3 (X). ""