KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Do cannondales use a Mass Air Flow or O2 sensor system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the ECU compensate for altitude changes and feedback from the exhaust to determine injector pulse width? Also, what size fuel pump is on it? Can an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator be installed to tune it a bit? Of course, all this can be done thru software in the ECU's tables but I was wondering if there were alternatives.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocky,

They have a altitude sensor in the ecu box. They don't have a O2 sensor. They just use the motor sensor, trottle position sensor, altitude with the map as far as I know.

You thinking of running more fuel presure for more power? You will need to take the engine up a couple of notches before you see the bennies there. By that I mean the motor will have to built so that it needs more than the stock set up can provide.

Have you riden one yet? It will surprise you the way it is.

Smitty

Old 05-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I defintiely believe it is a fast bike. I have yet to hear anyone complain about the power from a Cannondale. I was wondering if they used any type of feedback to change the injector pulse width. By leaning the mixture out you can achieve higher power. Remember lean is mean. Of course that is true up to a certain point when the combustion temps get too high and cause preignition/ detonation, then bad things happen. Thanks for your input about the altitude sensor, that helps.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:26 AM
The Facility

Yes, You can alter the pulse width. It wakes them up. It's the best single mod you can do to a Cannondale. They are too rich out of the box.

By leaning them, you give it a real kick in the pants. Not only that, but it takes care fo the plug fouling problem which plague some models.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Nut
Trailblazer

I think they do use an O2 sensor. I was looking at the wiring schematic last night and I do remember seeing notation for it.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would almost think an 02 sensor is mandatory otherwise the ECU wouldn't know if it is lean or rich??? As far as the altitude sensor (MAP Sensor???) isn't that how the early fuel injected cars did it before moving to MAF sensors?

I would think an altitude sensor wouldn't be able to account for any airflow mods??? Just thinking out loud.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

There is no o2 sensor on the cannondale the system is what is called open loop.The computer has as many variables progrmmed in it like alltitude airtemp,rpm,throttlepos,etc.So what happens is the computer takes all these variables into acount and runs the motor at whatever settings were originally programed into the comp.With a 02 sensor it would do the same but it would also compensate for a rich or lean mixture which was caused by variables that werent accounted for in the programing whithin a range that is closed loop.Guess what there is a pis tail in the harness for a 02 I am all for one as long as we can change the fuel ratio sometimes 14.7to1 isnt the fastest.