KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

?s for Knowsalot, Smitty and any of you other guys with more knowledge and experience than me :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions for you guys that aren't important or anything I just spend a lot of time dreaming about atvs and atv riding when I'm not riding.

1. Is the C-Dale motor extremely heavy? I'm asking this one because I've heard claimed dry weights for trx250r, lt250r, tecate 4 etc of around 335 pounds. I also remember when DW did that article about a year ago about the VOR 530 or whatever it was the dry weight was claimed to be 319. I only asked about engine wieght because it has an aluminum frame.

2. How do japanese manufacturers "cheat" on dry weight claims?

3. This one is total speculation and dreaming here! Do you think C-Dale would ever let customers order a quad to there specifications using parts C-Dale already uses? (like saying I want a speed with the Blaze shocks and red accents like the blaze. Or maybe you would want the new Glamis because it's wider but without the dune map and with the blaze exhaust.)

I hope to buy a Dale in the next 3 years I'm expecting them to have everything worked out by then and maybe have even more new technology and options.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

What the hell, I'll give these a stab.

1. I believe the motor is a little under 70 pounds. This is what I read at Thumper Talk when one of the guys was doing his valve adjustment.

2. I don't know how they would cheat on weights. I'm sure there are a couple of ways. No fluids, brake, oil, gas, no air in tires, would be some although I don't think this buys them anything.

3. Under normal manufacturing modes the less changes you have the less it will cost to make. If they can get the cost of the exhaust down to where it's easier to use the one for all than we would all benifit. As far as mapping that's one of the nice things they can be changed on the fly or with a remap. A-arms can be changed as well for a couple hundred and the stock one sold.

One of the funniest things I see is that bikes of different displacement with mostly the same compontes, pricing is all over the place. Does anybody think it cost more to built an CR125 than a CR250?

Best guesses.

Smitty

Old 07-06-2002, 01:41 AM
The Facility

1. As far as the engine weight alone.......IU have no idea..BUT we are replacing an engine next week and i will make a point of weighing it and posting it here. i am interested in this one myself.

2. The Japanese's weight claims are anyone's guess. Some models are way off compared to actual numbers even if you subtract the fluids from the equation.

3. Parts are so cheap for the Cannondale's that it isn't a big deal just to buy them and and suit the machine's cosmetics to your liking without Cannondale having to offwer it as options from the factory. It would be a nightmare to dealers and what to keep in stock if it was.

A perfect example would be the Honda rancher.

2WD or 4WD sir??

Manual shift or Electric shift sir??

What color would you like sir??

When taking into account of the different colors..there are 16 different variations of the Rancher!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

One of my points about the weight question was doesn't it seem like the Dales should be lighter? If all the claimed dry wieghts of the old steel framed 2 stroke quads is around 335 and the VOR 530 is a steel frame and they claim 319 (which I'm not sure I believe) you would think with the aluminum frame and all of the focus being towards racing the Dales would be lighter. Unless the 375 are is perfect for racing and I just don't get it.

Old 07-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

The R weighs 335 +/- and I have heard a lot that dales DRY weight is 355... thats only 20 pounds over, so if you take in to consideration that 4-stroke motors are generally heavier and then add the computer, LOTS of wiring, hoses, clamps, ect., ect. the dales weight is pretty darn good considering everything it has on it to weigh it down with the added fact that I think the Dales motor is much heavier than most other motors... just look at the C-dale dirtbikes weights compared to the Cr's.

I've also heard that 375 is the Dale's dry weight, so if thats the case, it must just have a really heavy motor. If not, I"m confused as well.

Old 07-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

not that this applies to the dale but the ds650 motor and trams is
100 pounds