KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Fried ECU on Cannibal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally had the 500 ECU and paid $1000 to have it upgraded to the 1000. The 1000 ECU is only 1 month old. I bought the GP Control SW so that I could download new maps to my ECU. I attempted to download a new Moto map and somehow lost communications with the computer. After restarting the computer and the Cannibal, I was unable to connect to the computer. I took it to the dealer and he was unable to connect as well. I now have a new ECU on order. Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm a little nervous about trying to download new maps when I get the new ECU. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Call optima and ask to talk to scooter he will help you figure out what is wrong.You do know that after two min.of inactivity you need to hit the start button again?Other than that all I can think of is you somehow lost the operating program (Hex code)and you will need to reinstall it.Is the green l.e.d. lit if not check your main fuse and reset.Scooter is the man as far as I have found if he cant help he will find someone who will.Oh yeah check battery.
Let us know what the solution was.

Old 08-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

There have been rare cases of this happening. I beleive it is listed on C'Dales website. I would have looked for you but there site seems to be down at the moment. I thought it had something to do with a "kickback voltage". Have your dealer check into it. I'm sure C'dale will take care of you. Good Luck................

Old 08-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

The Service Bulletin is SBA01-11. Have your dealer look at this. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Nut
Trailblazer

Yep. Something similar happened to me. I few months ago I took my Speed back to the dealer to get the stall fix and to get it leaned out a bit and when they hooked up to the ECU they couldn't communicate. Sounds like the same problem. They called Cannondale and got a new ECU. Problem solved. The bike wasn't running bad or anything, you just couldn't communicate with the ECU to perform diagnostics or make changes. This kind of worries me though - who's to say that it won't happen again - maybe two years from now. Then I'm stuck paying a couple hundred bucks for a new ECU. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

The reason the ecm couldnt communicate is because the operating program wasnt in the ecm.If your dealer has the first version of dealer cal and he has a windows based computer he needs to get a floppydisk from cannondale called FreeDOS.
When he tried to install the stalling fix the program is able to remove the old operating program from your ecm but it cant put the new one back in.Even with the free dos some dealer computer systems wont work to do this.
The stalling fix is a operating program like windows.Maps are nothing more than programs like wordperfect.Without windows wordperfect wont run.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

This exact same thing happened to me this evening while trying to update the TPS. Lost communication with the computer and now I can't do anything. When I hit the button to turn on the ECU the fuel pump doesn't run and it obviously won't start. I do get a green light on the cable.

I guess I'll call Scooter tomorrow, I probably need to reload the op code.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

Same here.... as nut posted. Dealer went through 2 ECU's the third they were able to get working. Many frustrating hours later for him and me.

Old 08-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

I read your post again it sounds like nut and the first post have a different problem since the quad still runs.My experience has been with quad not running nothing was left.I bet scooter will help you.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like my ECU is dead. Cannondale authorized a new one even though my warranty expired last month and Kyle at R&S is overnighting me one. Can't ask for better customer service.

Quick Reply: Fried ECU on Cannibal