KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Fried ECU on Cannibal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got it. I unpacked it and put it in the quad and it wouldn't start. I pulled it off the quad and hooked it to the pc on the bench and it shows no map. It does have calibration settings in it but they don't match what I had before.

Don't worry, I have no intention of giving up. I am determined to get to the bottom of this problem.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Got my original ECU and the second one I killed back today. Cannondale had no problem loading the op code back in them and putting in a map. I hooked them up to my system and did some testing. I was able to read all the cals and maps off of both of them with no problems. Went to load a map and it hung up and crashed just like last time. Put the second one on and tried a different map, same problem. Interesting thing is this all happened on the bench not on my quad so it's not an electrical problem on the quad.

Stay tuned, more to follow.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like you may have a bad cable, the sw is corrupt or maybe a bad laptop serial port. If someone else can load a map and you cannot then it has to be something in your setup.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Just today I put a map in one quad did the throttle cal no problem.Brought the second quad in tried to install map as the bar got about 1/4 way across crash.The retrying checksum came up and all the values were erased.Had to start over and load all the values by hand which I was glad I wrote down then I had to do throttle cal again.Weird everything was done same and instead of being a ten minute job it took twenty and some embarassment because I couldnt explain to the guy what happened.According to manual this is caused by electrical interference it is supposed to retry automatically mine didnt.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

<< Sounds like you may have a bad cable, the sw is corrupt or maybe a bad laptop serial port. If someone else can load a map and you cannot then it has to be something in your setup. >>

Interesting twist is I was able to load a map and cal settings to a third ECU last week on the exact same setup. This one got my quad running again, now I'm just testing with the 2 I had yesterday.

Both the ECU's have been loaded fine with Dealer cal and pro-cal, I'm using Maintenance and Diag.

Another avenue I'm that's interesting is the ECU serial numbers. They are split 4 - 6 digits, the first four digits of the two that die are 1277 and 1312, pretty close together. The one thats working is like 2200. I have no idea if that is manufacturing batch or anything, just a thought.

Old 09-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

An update:

I sent my software, cable, and both of the ECUs I was killing to Optimum last week. They tested my cable and software and said both where fine and sent them back to me. I recieved everything back today, hooked up the laptop and set my TPS - everything worked fine. I then loaded a different map, and again everything worked fine. Reset the TPS just to make sure, and ran the monitor to set the idle - everything is working fine with this ECU.

They still have the ECUs and are running test on them. Interesting thing is that Kyle at R&amp;S and Mark at Cannondale where both able to load OP code and maps into these ECUs with the Dealer Cal version of the software. I believe Pro Cal was also used to load maps, so it appears that the problem could be with these particular ECUs and the Maintenance &amp; Diag version of the software. I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet though, waiting to hear what Optimum finds out.