KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Question, reading plugs and water temp.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 10:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm not sure about this so maybe some of you guys can help. On a fuel injected machine it is not necessary to do standard plug chops at certain throttle positions to check fuel mixtures, right?

I'm thinking that you could just take the spark plug out at any time and read it to get the overall mixture setting. Mine looked good (light brown paper bag color), but I do have a slight sputter right off of idle. The sputter hasn't caused any problems, but I have been curious about it. I have recalibrated the throttle position with the dealer cal program because I thought that was the problem.

Also have any of you ever thought about installing a ESR water temp gauge on your Cannondale? I have one at the shop but its not installed yet. Just wanted to get your opinions on this.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Throttle chop at low end is usually the result of low engine RPM's or bad air filter. Check your RPM at idle and air filter.

Also it takes a bit to break these things in. Make sure its "broken in" before doing any adjustments.

Hope this helps

Just my .02 worth.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Throttle chop is a method of checking whether your engine is running rich or lean it is not a problem.Normally what you do is put a new plug in a warm engine start it and run wide open to 3rd gear pull in clutch hit kill switch and stop check plug.On a carb this would check your main jet.Different throttle positions with same method will checkpilot,needle.
Brad I would have to say no not on cannondale.We dont have a mass air flow sensor or a oxygen sensor so if say a pipe you buy flows more at top end and same at bottom at top you would be leaner because the ecm has no way to know that.Which is why you would have to put a different map in to compensate if your plug is showing lean condition.There is the fuel regulator and baro sensor which is varied by the pressure in the air box but I am not sure if a larger volume of air would effect the pressure.I dont think it would.When testing pipes when we were lean on top only.If you changed the flow rate which would richen every range then we were to rich on bottom.That pro cal is what a guy would need for these situation