KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Gonzales,LA and Starkville,MS Arena Cross Races Oct.19 and Oct.26

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:03 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonzales,LA and Starkville,MS Arena Cross Races Oct.19 and Oct.26

Markvette,

Glad to hear that you guys are planning to make the trip!!!

From Hwy 45......Go west on Hwy 82 towards Starkville.

When you get to Starkville, there are lots of construction being done as they are building a bypass around the city. Just stay on the highway. No stopping involved, so it will be easy.

When you get into Starkville, you will then take the Hwy 12 exit.

Hwy 12 will take you into town. Once you get on Hwy 12, you will take a left turn at the 3rd or 4th redlight. I can't remember for sure which light, but it will be clearly marked by an overhead sign reading "South Montgomery St.".....This is where you turn left.

Staying on South Montgomery St........You will then go about 4 to 5 miles out of town. It will look like you are headed into the boonies. At this point....you will see a sign reading "Mississippi Horse Park Arena" on the left side of the road. This road is named "Poor House Rd."........Take this left.

Once you turn left, the arena is only about a 1/2 mile down that road on the left.

I know it sounds confusing...but it's real easy to find. I'm just not good at giving directions over the computer.

If you would like, You can call me at 1-800-898-0195 for further details. I will be there every day this week and will also be there Saturday morning until about 10:00. If I'm not there, there will still be plenty of staff on hand to help you find your way there.

While you're at it, feel free to stop by and check out the store. Just take the Clayton Village exit from Hwy82. We are only about a 1/2 mile from the four lane.......it's on your way.

Pit area.............

At previous races there, the pits were outside and were more than accomidating.

I was talking to the race promoter this evening and plans may be made to have the pit area under the new pavillion which is ajacent to the main building........VERY accomidating!!

This race has small jumps compared to the outdoors and hardly anyone..even from the Pro class does the jumps because they are setup with dirtbikes in mind........but still have a big fun factor.

From what we have seen and heard this week....there could possibly be upwards to 75 or more quads at this race........3/4 of them being amateur riders.

Cannondale entries??? I have 4 confirmed Cannondale entries including airtime. This is not counting you guys...which would make 5 if you decide to come up.

They are constructing the track tomorrow night and I am suppose to take some machines over there for them to use in finishing the track Friday..........so I will post tomorrow night details on the track layout.

Patrick

Old 10-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the directions, the plans are made we will be there. i will come by ya'lls shop on the way in saturday morning. see you there

Old 10-23-2002, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

knowsalot
ok reread your directions, you told me to turn left on south montgomery st and then you said to turn right on the same street. which is it ?

Old 10-23-2002, 11:37 PM
The Facility

That's great.

Once you get on Hwy 82, just follow the billboards to our store. We have plenty along Hwy 82 and will have no problem finding us.

The name of the dealership is Village Cycle Center. If you like, you can just follow us to the arena from the dealership when we leave out. I even have a video of the race there in February for you to watch if you get there really early.

We open up at 8:00AM sharp. Feel free to get some ZZZZZZs in the parking lot if you get there early.....LOL

See you then.

Patrick

Old 10-23-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.geocities.com/trxr53/ax.html

I should have posted that link a long time ago, but I forgot. It's got a couple shots of the track from February, so you have an idea what to expect.

And don't laugh at the quads, that was the first non-woods race we'd had around here. I know you'r not supposed to run desert tanks and handgaurds. Patrick probably didn't admit he was on a 250X either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

BTW, turn left on South Montgomery if you're coming from Village Cycle.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:18 AM
The Facility

Patrick probably didn't admit he was on a 250X either
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Eddie is right........you turn left on South Montgomery. I told you I wasn't good at directions. I edited it above.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

we will come by the store so we can meet everybody. josh wants to watch the video. i will have to hide my wallet from myself before i come in. new quads and stuff, i be like a kid in a candy store.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:45 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

KNOWSALOT- I am coming for sure. There will also possibly be two more C-dales coming from this area. So that will make 7 if they do come.

markvette and atvman- I am glad yall are coming. It will be a lot of fun. I probably want be there until about 3:30 to 4:00 though. I got some things to take care of around the house Saturday.

airtimehocutt- Dont do too much complaining so I want miss practice.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

mrp
sisce you are coming i might have to take josh to rock hill and practice what we were talking about. LOL glad you are coming too. we will be there early, you know how josh is. later

Old 10-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Hay guys, sorry have been doing honey do list this week.

I can answer just about all the arena cross questions for ya, this was my first but I've wrenched at just about all the ones down here for the past three years.

Pitting: I have never seen any pits inside the building. But it all depends on the facillity and the permoter, I'll just stick to this one. They had very fine pits here in louisiana, all covered and all with lights. Pit riding was no problem here, we had a pit quad and so didn't every one else. You even get to ride the quad from your pit area to the gates. Any one who ever arena crossed knows that usually the ritten rule is soon as your tires leave the dirt you have to push it from there, and this is a biatch. But these poeple were very cool and organized.

Pro sign up: They had sign up sence 10 AM. Although sign up never closed, about 6 didn't even sign up till well afternoon. Mark there is a cell phone number in motoxtalk for the permoter. Ask for Todd or Karen, believe me they turn no one away. But may be a good idea if you were coming late just let them know and they will be able to know how many. You should be completely done no later than 8:30 saterday night.

Ameture Quads: Get there early they run quads first in practice, qualifiers and racing. Ametures have a full day with practice and qualifying.

Practice: They took the Ameture Quads out first. They had us circle around the straight away and whoop section to help pack it down. Then they gave us 5 laps. Every one gets 5 laps no matter who you are.

Pro early practice: Absolutely not. They will let your machanic on the track during your practice to do adjustments but you only get 5 laps. This is why, The arena cross is a show. Around 5 or so the crowd starts to thickin, they use pro practice as the beginning of the show, thats why they run it late. Then fallowing pro practice they have a hour or so braek then they run LCQ's. Then the show begins about 7:30 starting with pro quads, then ameture quads.

If there is one piece of advice I can give any one on a arena cross it has to be slower means faster. The AX is so busy, no resting nor braek sections. You will leave one obsticle just to land on another. Wrecks are almost always in these things. Most poeple over ride the course and end up over shooting there spots wich usually leaves you in a bad way. Mark my words, slow down a bit and just get in rythum, once you get into a rythum you have it whipped.

For the Ameture race there is one thing I don't like about the quad event and I've seen it in alot of the races and still hate it. The gate only holds 10 quads but they let like 15 enter. They stick 5 quads in a second line behind you. This doesn't hurt your start (if your on the gate) but putting 15 quads on a AX track is like trying to fit 5 pounds of chit in a 3 pound bag. They showed only 10 quads making the main here but when we lined up atleast 5 lined up behind us.

Best way to take this race is get your best hole shot, hit the whoops and concentrate only on just getting in rythum. No matter what spot your in if you get in rythum you will do very well at this event.

There is just sooooo many quads and only so much spase to just let it all hang out.

Now the pro quads 8 or less, you guys will be able to let her hang out a bit.

The track configuration is almost the exact same at every AX I've been to. The only differences between all the ones we have been to is the physical size of the building it self. Some times they are smaller some times bigger. The Lamar-Dixon arena we were at last week has to be by far the biggest physical sized building I've ever seen one done in. Except maybe the super dome and places like that.

Quick Reply: Gonzales,LA and Starkville,MS Arena Cross Races Oct.19 and Oct.26