Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

How many of you are....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you are....

Originally posted by: RookWV
I wish this thread could have stayed more to the point of my question and not venture into why one should or should not join said organization....The political slant of my question wasn't what I was looking for. I was simply looking for "I am" or something to that effect.....then if I had further questions I might inquire directly of that person.
The real "question" in my mind seems to be why that every time this point is brought up about what the ATVA is actually fighting for and what they believe in.......every current member in that organization either blows the fact off as totally unimportant or (if you happen to run into a "parent" AMA member) treats you like you're not only part of "the problem" but somebody who is "beneath" them.

I'm seeing more and more pure arrogance in this organization and this helmet issue just proves my point.

"I'll give you a hundred dollars if you catch little 'ol "me" without a helmet........but I have no problem with that guy over there not wearing one....."

Give me a break!!!

Tell me something; in those two huge articles in the latest issue of Dirt Wheels on the ATVA and the CPSC..........did you see the word 'helmet' used even once or wonder why those 6000 signatures destined for the Consumer Product SAFETY Commission never contained this gosh-awful "dirty word" either?

I guess if I'm going to stand up in here and say I'm a member of some organization?..........I would 'at the very least' want to give others the right to stand up in here also and tell me how I can make that organization better (not treat everyone who asks this question to the story about a "marked hundred dollar bill" in some administrator's pocket).

And what would (insert your favorite atv association here) have to say if that ant-atv lady pictured in Dirt Wheels had the smarts to stand up at the next Consumer Product Safety Commission hearing and claim the following fictitous statement:

"Mr. Chairman......let the record reflect that the (insert atving association) has been contacted regarding the helmet-less rules at one of this sport's largest venues (Windrock) and that they have absolutely no position on changing the rules at that facility to protect the participants involved. Secondly, these group's recent petition not only mysteriously avoids the helmet issue; but gives absolutely no specific standards in regards to desired cc size or age range from the people who signed it. We also see no attempt by the atv associations to seperate themselves from others in the atving community who decline to reveal their safety related agendas and who offer absolutely no assistance to safety driven projects in their own state such as the Hatfield McCoy Trail System pilot project under construction.

Mr . Chairman...........can you please ask the (insert atv association) why their affiliation with the (insert motorcycle organization) and their well-documented historic problems with the helmet issue have been allowed to spill over into and poison yet another motorized sport?"

Tell me people........who is going to be the organization sitting there with their mouths open and their feet shuffling?..........guaranteed; it's not going to be the people who we would want to be on the defensive.

This scenario need never be played out.......... "if and when" we ever start demanding that these people never put US in that kind of a position with THEM.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RookWV
I wish this thread could have stayed more to the point of my question and not venture into why one should or should not join said organization....

The political slant of my question wasn't what I was looking for. I was simply looking for "I am" or something to that effect.....then if I had further questions I might inquire directly of that person.
Sorry - I got caught up in the helmet issue. To answer your question, I am not.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

What is so ironic about that Dirt Wheels article is the very last paragraph; which I'll paraphrase:

.....If you folks out there see somebody doing something that hurts our sport...you make darn sure THAT YOU TELL THEM ABOUT IT !!!

Then why is it; that when we call a major atv organization and ask them for "help" in battling the tens of thousands of riders every year who are riding helmet-less at Windrock (which is promoted in their newsletter).........that they start backpedalling and don't want "anything to do with" the same confrontational situation in which they insist that we must start out in the middle of the woods with some guy and his buddies?

I'll start fighting their battles when I start seeing some evidence that they have the nuts to fight a few themselves.

Old 09-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I am just looking for an organization that will fight to keep lands open (responsibly). We can argue the rest later. If we cant ride,,,none of the rest matters.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing
I am just looking for an organization that will fight to keep lands open (responsibly). We can argue the rest later. If we cant ride,,,none of the rest matters.
So Bing, if you want somebody "that will fight to keep lands open (responsibly)......"

What do you say to those same people when they wittness irresponsible behavior (Windrock) and then refuse to say a word about it???

They can 'look the other way".......... because they carry hundred dollar bills around in their pocket for whoever catches "them" acting in the same manner as an "idiot" does?

Old 09-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

BB, I didnt even really read this thread,,,and I dont know the conflicts involved. I recently posted a thread inquiring about ATVA,,,and RookWV, pointed out that he had already tried with this thread.

Let me do some more research and I'll get back to ya.

I really didnt mean to butt in, sorry.