Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

Originally posted by: YamahaRider8998
can a atv be street legal in ny and also wat kind of gas milage does a atv get, lets say a sport quad like a warrior.

steve
I don't think they can but I may be wrong. However NY closed a loophole a few years ago that let you put turn signals, mirrors, and a horn on an off road dirtbiek and register it as a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure that if they own't allow that you wouldnt' be able to do something with a quad but it's something that I wonder about too.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Does anybody know anything about OHIO's laws? I have an atv and an atc but i would deffenently have to get the stock exhaust for the atc cause its LOUD!!! I asked my local honda dealer how you get them street legal and they said they would do it, BUT i was talking about a 110 chopper. I would sell my street bike if i could get my atc street leagal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was just thinking about trying to get a three-wheeler street legal the other day. I certainly would be easier than a quad because it has three wheels instead of four so it should technically be classified as a trike. But, since your ATC was originally classified as a "Off road vehicle" or "All terrain vehicle" on the title and according to the VIN number the state will shoot it down everytime.

Someone out there has gotta know of a way to do an experimental or custom "kit car" type of title. I used to know someone who worked at a tag agency and every once in a while someone would come in with a kit car sitting on a trailer wanting a tag. The had to have every receipt for every part on the car, including the frame, engine, etc. and they could get it tagged. If you were to grind off your VIN number, add all the necessary items like mirrors, signals, DOT tires, etc. and then claim it's custom built I don't see why not. Heck, what about these street rods that have a frame, engine, body tub and windshield. If someone can custom build a 4-wheel vehicle from the ground up, why can't it be a quad???

Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

what i have learned from terry jones, the guy in cali that did the raptor trip the florida, is that an atc can be made street legal, technically. if you can get a title saying the motorcycle was scrapped, and 'somehow' get that vin number onto the quad frame, then you have a 'custom motorcycle' with no more than three wheels in contact with the road at all times. provided you get dot approved tires, turn signals, speedo, horn, all the basic motorcycle stuff that they need to be street legal. or, you can take something like an xr650 or some enduro dirt bike and put a quad swingarm on the rear end. that, i have seen done in pennsylvania. it was few years ago, and it works. you just have to make sure the bike is classified as a "custom motorcycle."

Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

if you can get a title saying the motorcycle was scrapped, and 'somehow' get that vin number onto the quad frame, then you have a 'custom motorcycle'
You really have to be very careful about this sort of thing--it's exactly what anti-chop-shop laws are intended to prevent. In nearly all states, a homebuilt or "specially constructed" vehicle must be "substantially different in construction and appearance" from any of the donor vehicles. Switching a VIN from one vehicle to another basically stock production vehicle is a very big no-no--in fact, it's a Federal felony. If you show up at the state troopers' station asking for a new title for a 3-wheeler that's had a motorcycle steering head welded onto it, and you could be led away in handcuffs. I would go talk to the head inspection officer in your area and get his/her take on the legality of it BEFORE you do anything like this!

Old 03-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Trailblazer

i was definately not saying just switch vin's to an atc frame. there is defiantely a lot of frame cutting and welding and custom fabricatioin and fitting to be done. something that should be done the right with the right tools. not just cut out the vin and weld it in place, ground down the weld, and spray paint it. if i was to do something like this, it would be a lenghty project, most likely. and it would be done right. after all, if you're going to be one of the first people to have a street legal atc, why would anyone want just a regular old tri z or 350x with street tires and a license plate?

Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: HondaAtcRoxz
Does anybody know anything about OHIO's laws? I have an atv and an atc but i would deffenently have to get the stock exhaust for the atc cause its LOUD!!! I asked my local honda dealer how you get them street legal and they said they would do it, BUT i was talking about a 110 chopper. I would sell my street bike if i could get my atc street leagal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Just some more info you might want to check out... http://www.3wheelers.com/lawusa.html

Old 03-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think AFCBlink is right. I just checked Oklahoma laws and if you mess with the VIN numbers (even cutting it off another frame and welding it into place)...

B. Any person who knowingly alters, counterfeits, defaces, destroys, disguises, falsifies, forges, obliterates, or knowingly removes a vehicle identification number, with the intent to misrepresent the identity or prevent the identification of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, upon conviction is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than ten (10) years, or by a fine of not more than One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000.00), or both such imprisonment and fine.

If anyone is interested, this is the link to the Oklahoma Title 47 Motor vehicle law prohibiting ATVs on the street. I would be willing to bet it's the same for most states (except Arizona): Self-Propelled or Motor-Driven Cycles - Minibikes, Golf Carts, All-Terrain Vehicles - Prohibitions and Restrictions

I did find one loophole... If I get a trailer to pull behind my quad to sell snowcones, I'm good to go. I just don't know about keeping it under 30MPH! LOL

B. Self-propelled or motor-driven cycles, known and commonly referred to as "minibikes" and other similar trade names, shall be prohibited from operating on the streets and highways of this state, except:

1. When used in a parade; or

2. When registered, as required by subsection E of Section 1151 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes, and operated in this state by food vendor services upon streets having a speed limit of thirty (30) miles per hour or less.

So the thread continues!!! Don't give up. If the major manufactures are starting to prototype street legal quads, it will become a reality some day. Polaris has already made one, it's called the "Revolver" and it's set to possibly launch in Europe where quads are welcome on the street...

Old 04-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anybody know how to become legal in California? I have one plan though. If you get it registered in a state like Arizona or someplace where they are legal. Then you have plates and paper work, could you then take the paper work to your state…because technically it is street legal then.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here in the UK all you have to do is put

Buy ATV @ >$11000 (660R)
a "road legal kit" on at <$1200
regrister $60
Road tax$100/yr
then insurance would be >$1000/yr
and fuel at >$ 1.60/L!!!!

But then you can only ride it after having rode a 125 for 2 years previous which you had to do a test for or a $400 test for all CC's

So count yourselves VERY lucky i feel like moving to America more and more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: why not street legal?