Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

About 3 weeks ago I checked with the licensing dept for the specifics to make my atv street legal. They referred me to the police dept.

I need:
speedo (factory installed)
proper size brake, tail, and headlights (factory installed)
left side mirror $12 (right side is optional)
turn signals $56 (aftermarket)
license plate $16 (for 1 year)
liability insurance $18 (for 1 year)

That's it! I already have the mirror and turn signals installed, so shortly after the 1st of the year, I'll be getting my plates.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I would LOVE to have my atv street legal, I live less than a mile from the country and to get out there its easiest to just ride a block or two and then be out in the country. Its a pain in the butt to load the four wheeler in the back of the truck and then drive a block and unload it and then go ride and leave my truck in some place in the country. If you get any information on making street legal atv's in Texas notify me please. And the cops where I live have no action WHAT SO EVER. If they see a kid on a four wheeler they dont even hesitate, they IMMEDIATELY come over there and give you a ticket, even if it is your first time to get stopped, they will ticket you. They are f@gs where I live and have nothing better to do, so I would love to have a street legal quad and when they pull you over, you can show them that you arent doing anything wrong and that they cant do anything.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

in Montana we just need to install the following:

an electric horn
a rearview mirror
hi/low beam head lights
a brake/tail light
brakes on each axle
reflective tape (amber to the front, red to the rear) on each side
license plate light

then of course we gotta get the off-road sticker to use the public trails that are not roads. both the lisence plate and the off road sticker are a one time fee, and say "PERM".

pretty simple. lots of us do it. accually a forest service ranger told me i'd need the highway plates to drive on logging roads (and some pretty rugged trails are accually classified as roads on the maps). i don't go on the pavement much because it's too hard on the tires.

monty

Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i didn't read all of the posts due to sleep desprovatino but is there anything on indiana on how to get em street legal?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

I just picked up my plate today!
Insurance was $20.64 for liability and uninsured mororist.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know what you have to do in oklahoma.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Though I doubt it's possible, does anyone know how to street legalize a quad in Illinois? Another thing that we all need to do is start writing letters to all of the quad magazines. If they start getting a lot of requests they will probably take a good look into it.

For those who are going to try this I suggest you ask if they have/will look into a quide to street legalize atvs in ALL STATES. I know Dirtwheels has done two stories, one on the 3 wheeled raptor(CA), and another on a 400ex (I believe) (NV?).

Old 01-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yo Serap,funny you mentioned it.I'm a fellow Illinoisian and I'm looking into the same thing.I saw The article about the 3-wheeled street Raptor a while back and I've wanted one since.Been wanting to get a street bike for a while then I remembered that thing.I like to push the envelope,that's just the kind of guy I am.Plus my knees are shot and I try to stay away from the bikes anymore.Anyway,to my point.I wanna build me one of these damn things (three or four wheeled ,whatever it takes).I read another thread in this site somewhere that in Illinois the guy said he'd have to have an inspector come look at it and it would be classified as a motorcycle.He made it sound like he was upset about that,but,if thats the worst case scenario.Ya get the bike license.Lastly, I myself have emailed the Illinois dot and requested what its going to take to make this happen.I'll gladly pass it along when I hear somethin'.Good luck to all that are doing these conversions and lets keep the revolution movin'.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider

The best thing you can do is find a state legistlator who is an "off roader" and have the laws changed. Get local ATV clubs and organizations to starrt a "grass roots" campaign to get your vehicles street legal in your states.

There are enough states that allow street legal ATVs to show that there is no problems. The only ATV wrecks we have had on the street are from drunk buttheads with no street plates and no helmets. Most people that spend the time and money to street plate their ATV will be more responsible with it.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

well, i've got some pretty suprising and a little discouraging news. i talked with a guy in california, Terry Jones, who has this website. http://www.streetlegalatv.com/ Terry's got a bunch of money into it and i got some pretty intersting information. i'll try and sum it up with a paragraph or two, but we talked on the phone for about an hour. he said that after he built this quad, the state of california pretty much said "good job, you found a loophole. but this is the one and only, and it will never happen again." he actually did a cross country ride from california to florida down interstate 10. he was featured in atvaction, i think it was, a few years ago where they followed him on his ride and called the article "smokey and the raptor" he said he got pulled over once in texas, and the cop gave him a bunch of crap. he just told him to look in his code book, and the cop did. came back and said "good job. if they pull you over again, just tell them to look at this page, this article." so he made it. he said that he has actually talked with the big wigs at yamaha, and a few other places. this is what they said; when atc's were outlawed, the united states pretty much told the japenese manufacturers that they couldnt sell them anymore to the us. so japan said alright, how about if we put another tire on the front to make it more stable? so they did, with the agreement that the new ATV would never be a street legal vehicle, as long as it has 4 tires, no matter how much you did to it. this guy said that the easiest way to make a street legal ATC, is that some part of the vehicle has to be a motorcycle. so if you have that, you need to scrap the title, and build it yourself, giving it a "custom motorcycle" title. then you're free to do what you want with it. as long as it falls under the motorcycle classification of "no more than three tires in contact with the ground at all times" which is where the three wheeled atv comes in as street legal. i've seen this done before where a guy in pennsylvania took an XR650 frame and put an atv swingarm and axle on the back end. and it did hold up to the cops. it was technically a custom motorcycle. terry said if he could do it again, he wouldnt. there is so much red tape, and he's got over $25,000 into this raptor. he said the best place to start, is with the lobbyists. they're the ones to get things changed. he said he's not really into it anymore, since he's 45 years old. and he pretty much guaranteed me that it'll take years to get this done. so if everyone starts getting involved, maybe it'll happen sooner. i know i would sure like to see it.

Quick Reply: why not street legal?