Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

I spent several years looking for a loophole to get a quad street legal in indiana and I just pulled it off. It is titled and plated as a mc, and I can go anywhere. Started a little business out of it if there is any indiana riders out there hit me up. you can sheck it out at myspace.com/streetquads This is the first one done in the state and I am the only one that can pull it off.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

hey z butcher, you can take your quad down the streets of rosemount, lmao, i used to live in apple valley, and them cops down there, some of them can go you know where, they would be on you like a bear with honey

Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get it done in California, but only on Catalina Island that I know of; don't know why they are exempt.

QUOTE FOR TODAY:

Honor Student -- Concealed Carry School

Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you live in the country and on farm why couldn't you put the slow moving vehicle sign on it (orange triangle) I use my honda and polaris as a tractor, hauling fire wood,spreading ****,discing my field,planting,fixing fence etc so what would be the difference, I need to travel from area to area to get to some of the different areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Depends on where you are. In KY, they can be used for agricultural purposes, but that limits you to secondary roads in rural areas. About the same as a tractor. I always strap on a chain saw when I go see a buddy who lives a few miles down the road. Local LEO's are pretty good guys, so I don't want to put them on the spot.

Don't know about anyone else, but I've had two utility ATV's, both were evil handling on hard pavement. Some of it has to do with the locked rear axle, some of it is the steering is set up for dirt, and a bit too sensitive for the instant response of pavement. My old big bear was a nightmare - turn at medium speed, and it would try to turn sharper. Current AC 500i is better, but still not something I'd recommend an inexperienced rider try - it will bite you if you aren't paying attention.

AC makes a street legal machine, it has revised suspension and steering. It's sold over in Europe.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

so, NY is a pretty crappy place to live cause of its strict laws. however i have a story. one day my friend and i(16 and 18) were out riding on the roads, we live in the country so its easier to do. and it was snowing heavliy, so all the roads were covered with the snow, and we were riding around, and a cranky neighbor called on us. and we had gone to my friends house from the road and into his woods, then ending up at his house, a few minutes later the trooper showed up in his driveway, yea he knew we were out riding on the roads cause there were tracks all over. and hes like, "i know its fun to do, i used to ride on the roads in snowstorms when i was your age, and i dont mind if you guys do it on these back roads, but dont do it on the big ones" and we are like awed at the fact that a cop was telling us it was alright so long as we didnt screw the road up at all yet its illeagal. however, i have to say, with my ATV everywhere i ride im breaking the law, trespassing. they keep selling these machines, yet they have no places at all to ride them. the powerlines where i live are pretty popular for dirtbikes and ATV's and the companys dont mind to much. but still, the government is getting to strict these days, what happend to freedom?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was pretty cool of the cop to do that, and you should heed his advise very closely. One thing you should remember is that "Freedom" does not include using or abusing other people's (or a company's) property. Unless you own the land you are riding on you really don't have the "Right" to be there. This is probable not the first time you have had issues with your neighbor. I would suggest you make some sort of gesture to him to show him ATV's can be useful; maybe you could offer to plow his yard sometime and ensure that your pipes are not too loud. Too loud means he can hear it in his house; not what you think is too loud. Maybe see if you can get him to take it for a spin, show him how much fun it is. At the very least he will be much less likely to call the cops on a friend than that bratty kid down the street....

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

very true, thanks for the advice. ill try it

Old 03-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

i went straight to the louisiana state police and they told me if i put all the things a dual sport bike has on to a quad i can drive it on the street.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Man i live up here in Indiana and i ride my quad on the road all of the time and not one damn person says ****. Eventhough its on country roads but i pass state cops and city cops and they just wave as i pass them haulin ***

Quick Reply: why not street legal?