Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

i wish it was dat easy here

Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am in NY state and I was just thinking about why aren't ATV street legal myself. The gas price is $3.65 and going up FAST. I only work 5 miles away from my house and I have to take a 2000 Dodge ram 5.9 L to work at $70 to fill it up plus I use it to ship my atv to ride it. It would be nice to let us ride them on the road to work, to go riding or just to get out of the house. If anyone knows how or what i should do to go about getting atv steet legal please let me know

p.s. I ride a Banshee that can go about 90 mph so why aren't I alowed on the road it is not the facted that I cant keep up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

They should make HOV lanes for ATVs and that!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

is it legal in florida? I was thinking if not I would get it registered as a low speed vehicle

Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

If used as farm equipment would this then make it street legal if you have a caution triangle on the back? I know when I lived in South Carolina (this was late 80's) we always rose our Big Reds on the road to get from one point of our farm to the other and never was questioned.

I am also sure they are cracking down much more these days than they were back then.

When I lived in Florida most of the roads (Near Lake City) had ATV trails on the side where we would always ride. I am also sure that won't be allowed much these days.

It's really sad that in a lot of states ATVs can't be made street legal. Most of us will only use them to take a ride to the store, sight seeing, to graba small tailer, and so on.... yet I see idiots flying past me in my SUV going 85 in a 35 on a crotch rocket and THAT is not only legal, but never questioned as "dangerous".

Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 450rking

dose anybody know about getting a atv legal for the road in new york?</end quote></div>

You can't make it street legal here. You need insurance (there's liability amount/type requirements including property damage, PIP, death, etc) and register it and get a tag and STILL you can not ride on roads- bullcrap if you ask me. New York states that if you use your ATV on your own land you STILL need the insurance, reg, and tag!

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#ATVs

But I agree, NY is a crappy place to ride ATVs. I ride down an old rail (the rail is now removed) which goes 15 miles or so and on the way has a few mud/hill trails off to the side. However, getting there is a gamble because I have to cross a park and active rails to get to this old rail. Everytime I am gambling and a few times we had Department of Public Works called on us by the cranky neighbors.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default why not street legal?"></title><script src=

my quad is an ltr-450 and it actually makes around 48+ mpg.
they are VERY fuel efficient. that is with after market sprockets and exhaust and cherry bomb.

my full coverage for offroad use at AAA is $900 per year.

i live in california and i could save around $70 or more a month if quads were street legal.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
FOG
Weekend Warrior

It's pretty easy in Montana to make a bike 'street legal'.It must have all the lighting(of course) and must have a horn,rearview mirror,license plate light (may be illuminated form a tail light too)My PERMANENT plate and registration was about $85.A "motorcycle endorsement" on your driver's license is no longer required.
Insurance on my '07 Polaris is also very reasonable, through Markel.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

I must agree with dvongehr as my LTR gets me to work and back for a week at about $9 . A whole tank for one week?? Yeah but its like 2 gallons! I live in AZ and it literally takes the bill of sale or title and walk into the DMV and they make you sign here and you have your license plate $180 later. It's well worth it, especially now when gas is $3.40 a gallon.

I love it! Especially with my street tires.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: streetquads

I spent several years looking for a loophole to get a quad street legal in indiana and I just pulled it off. It is titled and plated as a mc, and I can go anywhere. Started a little business out of it if there is any indiana riders out there hit me up. you can sheck it out at myspace.com/streetquads This is the first one done in the state and I am the only one that can pull it off.</end quote></div>

I just friended you.

Quick Reply: why not street legal?