Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

does anyone have any information on getting a quad street legal in maryland?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Can someone explain the english rules clearly. Googling doesn't reveal anything, and I don't want to waste time e-mailung some official.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

I live in MD and I know several neighbors of mine who have street legal quads. they have to have a working headlight, brake-light, speedometer, turn signals, and have to atleast be able to go 80 mph.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

sweet! let us know about anymore progress!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Sox
Trailblazer

I'm in pa , I just finished converting a dirt bike to a street legal supermoto bike ... worked out well . I am planing street legal ltr 450 . The title will be branded ORV ... my new title that came back with a MC brand and also had a notation of modified .
I think I would have to go after a specially modified title ... I have to talk to my inspection guy ... Is it a motor or is it a car ... I will have to have the machine inspected ... my guy dose both ...
Europe has a classification of quadcycle ... thats what we need .
You could also just find a old cycle frame with a clean title ... then your automaticlly a motorcycle ...question being will a state inspection station inspect it ...most guys would not want to write that sticker .
I think a bill needs to be passed , you would figure the cycle manufactures would be pushing for this .

Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, does anybody have any info on getting a quad street legal in... ugh.. new jersey :/

I have no problems with getting DOT tires, turn signals, a speedometer, horn, mirrors, etc. Piece of cake. But its the actual legal footwork that I need a little help with.

First of all, what is the name of the specific document that lays out all the motor vehicle laws and regulations? I'd like to look through that and trust me, I'm pretty dam good at finding loopholes haha.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

oh and i just got around to thinking, does anyone think i should try writing to the AMA? i guess it couldnt hurt. they definatley know how to make **** happen as far as legal stuff goes, thats for sure.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im in NJ and would love to do something like this here too. Maybe we can work together on a project like this do you have an email addy? eddomingo@hotmail.com

Old 03-31-2016, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to dig up a very (very) old thread, but I jut wondered if anythings have changed on this, since the dropping of the inspection stickers last summer Mississippi? Or any law changes. Researching online there's some loopholes, but I' really like to find an answer.

I moved from the UK to Mississippi last year, I had a road legal Yamaha Raptor 700 back over there, and I want another one. I'm more than happy to convert it, mirrors, blinkers, speedo, horn etc.... But has anyone found a way to get a Mississippi tag on a 4-wheeler?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simont122
Sorry to dig up a very (very) old thread, but I jut wondered if anythings have changed on this, since the dropping of the inspection stickers last summer Mississippi? Or any law changes. Researching online there's some loopholes, but I' really like to find an answer.

I moved from the UK to Mississippi last year, I had a road legal Yamaha Raptor 700 back over there, and I want another one. I'm more than happy to convert it, mirrors, blinkers, speedo, horn etc.... But has anyone found a way to get a Mississippi tag on a 4-wheeler?
Probably not. A few states allow limited use of atvs and utvs on secondary streets. Its really up to each individual township whether they allow it or not. The small town I live in allows utvs to be registered if they have mirrors and turn signals. But its only on side streets and are limited to 30 mph, which is the speed limit for those streets anyway. Atvs are excluded from this though. Towns near major trail systems like the Hatfield McCoy in West Virginia and Pauite Trail out in Colorado allow atvs to be ridden on city streets. These trail systems bring in revenue to these towns so they are a bit more relaxed on allowing them. Many very small towns are simply relaxed on the rules if there is very little traffic. But making an atv fully street legal will probably never happen. They just aren't viewed as being a primary form of transportation as they are in the UK and many places in Europe. Here they are just toys.

Quick Reply: why not street legal?