Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

How much sense does this make?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much sense does this make?

In read it, and thought: "It's your dad's quad, it's his to do with as he pleases, including tell you no. Go buy your own."

I could not imagine my son taking this attitude. I guess I just taught him ownership early enough to understand the concept.
He mows lawns to pay for his bike, $5 a lawn. We made this deal, I bought the bike, and he pays for it with labor. If he does not mow, I reposess the bike, and we can re-negotiate the purchase terms. So far this has not come up.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Cheapass
In read it, and thought: "It's your dad's quad, it's his to do with as he pleases, including tell you no. Go buy your own."

I could not imagine my son taking this attitude. I guess I just taught him ownership early enough to understand the concept.
He mows lawns to pay for his bike, $5 a lawn. We made this deal, I bought the bike, and he pays for it with labor. If he does not mow, I reposess the bike, and we can re-negotiate the purchase terms. So far this has not come up.
Attitude? No sir, attitude would be him telling his dad to **** off, and taking it anyway. He came and vented on an ATV forum...And you say you can't imagine your son doing something like this? Are you sure he's human? Maybe you should spend more time mowing your [i]own[i] lawn, and less time bashing a good kid for trying to enjoy the sport.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok guys, guess what, I found out why he was so crabby, and wouldnt let me ride it, and wouldnt even take it out himself. Think of legal organized crime......Insurance. Yes, thats the word. As it turns out he was so mad because he couldnt get it insured for a reasonable rate. He first thought that we'd be able to get it through our local insurance for about 150$, well, he paid that, and a couple days later, they called him back and told him they plugged all the info up and the rate was actually 600$. SO he said, well, i have a quote from polaris for 187$, so he was just going to get insurance through them. He called polaris, well, they plugged all the info in and the took the youngest person in the house (my 15 year old bro) and used him as the base driver or somthing. Well, needles to say, the rate went up about 4 times of the quote they sent him in the mail (about 700$) And thats why he's PO'ed. He was alot calmer today so i could actually talk to him. He finally found insurance for about 275$/year. But now he has to transfer the house insurance & everything over to that company. Which is good cause the insurance for the house will go down, but the deductible will go up from $250 to $500. He said he was so sick of the insurance thing he wished he would have never bought it. He said that he didnt even want to think about the fourwheeler anymore until he gets the insurance thing settled. I agreed to pay for the difference in insurance and everything's kosher. He's alot less pissed off today than he was the past couple of days. I was wondering what was making him so edgy, the other day I came home and asked about it and he freaked out. He said everything should be set by tommorow and me and my friend could go riding if we wanted. I still have to show him how the new winch works thatI put on

How much are you paying for Insurance? are we getting the shaft from the insurance company? or is 275$ for Mom, dad, 2 kids, and 1 fourwheeler pretty good?

Old 08-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, another valuable life lesson learned by todays youth. Peter94, enjoy that quad and treat it with respect. Hopefully dad will get hooked and maybe get another one for the kids someday?

Old 08-24-2004, 09:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Gotta love a happy ending !!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YFZblu
Originally posted by: Cheapass

Attitude? No sir, attitude would be him telling his dad to **** off, and taking it anyway. He came and vented on an ATV forum...And you say you can't imagine your son doing something like this? Are you sure he's human? Maybe you should spend more time mowing your [i]own[i] lawn, and less time bashing a good kid for trying to enjoy the sport.
Hmm, I'm somehow evil for making my kid earn what he gets, rather than spoil him and give him stuff he won't appreciate?

Kid was whining because dad said no. No, my kid don't whine about things, because he knows it gets him nowhere.
Now, we are going camping and riding this weekend, so I need to go pack up the supplies and go over the bikes. You know, more child abuse from the horrible dad.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok cheapass, guess what, I AM A 17 YEAR OLD KID. I can't get a loan from the bank, even if i could, my parents would say no (and i agree with them on this) because i have to save up for college. So its not like i can say, "fine, i'll just go buy my own". Second of all, i get good grades, i dont get into alot of trouble, and i'm very sensible about things, and me and my dad have a very good relationship, not like master-slave type you and your son have. Me and my dad go out and do things together, like target shooting, fishing, hunting, camping, etc. Thats why i freaked out when he got so mad when i asked him if he wanted to go fourwheeling. Its not like him to freak out and say "no" like that. At first i thought he was just scared by technology or somthing, but now i know why, Insurance, and everything is fine. Me and him are going to go out fourwheeling tommorow. Oh, and i dont even get 5$ to mow the lawn. I just do it because i know i will get some privileges in return from my dad.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

More power to you. Your master-slave comment shows you are far more interested in winning the argument than being coherent.
Enjoy your win.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Whatever helps you sleep at night.......

Old 08-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

FYI: Before pops blows an aneurism:

http://www.atv-line.com/
The cheapest ATV and motorcycle insurance I've ever seen. My street bike, dirt bike, and atv's are insured with them... for $140 a year, total. And the street bike has full coverage.

'course, I'm 33 with a clean driving record and been riding street since I was 16 (When I bought my first street bike with my own money from a pizza cook job... 74 KZ400). That does bring the insurance down a tad.

Quick Reply: How much sense does this make?