Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

"ATV club left red-faced over trail damage"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "ATV club left red-faced over trail damage"

Here's one way to make front page news. This is from today's St. Paul (MN) Pioneer Press: http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/11633215.htm

The state ATV association holds its annual spring convention, and even gets the governor to come. Then, with all the news media following the governor around, some members do something incredibly stupid. The association, and ATV'ers in general, would have been better off if they had held their convention in secret.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a quick synopsis of what went down? I'm not signing up for a website I'll likely never visit again.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

The article says nearly 100 members of the All-Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota tore up a trail near where they were holding their convention. Of course, there were quotes from the head of a tree hugger organization clucking his tongue at the "severe" damage.

The trail had been closed, but not posted as being closed, is one excuse given in the article. An ATVAM official is quoted as indicating that some trail damage may have happened prior to the convention. I'm afraid no amount of excuses can neutralize the negative image projected by this article.

Here is the subhead from the article:
"Incident comes as lawmakers weigh education aid for groups"

As you probably know from other posts on this site, Minnesota ATV organizations were trying to forestall trail closures due to pressure from environmental groups. They had convinced many legislators to support a bill granting funds to the organizations for enforcement of ATV regulations and education aimed at helping riders understand the regulations. This incident comes just at the time that bill is before the legislature.

Unless the ATVAM can pull some rabbits out of some helmets, my money is now on the trail closures.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

According to the MNDNR website, that trail was open, at the time of the ride. This was incorrect. This wasnt the only trail incorrectly shown open at the website. In fact I posted a thread about 3 weeks ago, pointing this out.see this thread
Then, there was supposed to be a sign posted at the trail head, noting the seasonal closure of the trail, and that sign was missing. This seems to be more of a problem lately, and some have even suspected those very same enviro-wacos, as being the ones responsible for taking down the signs, and there by being an accesory to the problem of people riding unknowingly , in sensitive areas, and showing up later, to take the pictures..which is actually kind of smart of them.
No one was doing any excessive mud churning, or rutting, in fact most people tried to ride around the low spot, everyone acted responsibly, and even after it was pointed out, that the trail was closed, every one accepted that decision and took the detour.
ATVAM, has said it will repair any damage done, and there wont be any hit to the taxpayers of MN.
The DNR has said no citations were issued, or will be issued, over the incident, there by indicating the unintentional nature of what happened.

"Then, with all the news media following the governor around, some members do something incredibly stupid."

Im not sure what your point is...but im proud to be a member of ATVAM, and the good they do for ALL atv riders of the state, whether or not they belong to the organization or not. I saw no stupid behavior, nor did the dnr.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:50 AM
Quad Patrol

It would not surpise me "IF" a tree hugger organization removed the sign. Especially, "IF" they happen to be in the right spot for a photo op[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It's funny (not really) how in the last few years, they have actually shot themselves in the foot, by fabricating or stating facts to the courts. And, when further investigation shows, their "records" are inaccurate or possibly fraudulant.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Hondabuster—
Your posting of May 3 did point out the problem of inaccurate info on trail closures. Too bad more people didn’t pay attention. And from what I’ve seen over the years, it does seem very plausible that enviro-wackos would have removed trail-closed notices to create an incident like this. I can also imagine them putting up signs directing riders into closed areas and then getting the ATV’ers arrested.

It just goes to show you, we’ve got to be smarter than they are and not fall for tricks like that. Before you bring hundreds of riders into an area, you make sure which trails are open and which are closed.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Sounds like a setup to me... Some tree hugger is laughing himself to sleep over that one.....

Old 05-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

That newspaper is a liberal BSing piece of garbage, they put nothing but crap out. DONT DO THEM A FAVOR AND VISIT THE WEBSITE!!!

If you see the "Trail Damage" its a joke! Its just another typical little water hole. Totally over blown.
It was a spring melt run off creek crossing a trail, it should have been closed, DNR admitted that, they closed that trail immediately, temporarily for repair.

It will open again, and this will just go away, its rediculous. Are the tree huggers/land lovers there to protest a new highway? or road? Hypocrites!

Old 05-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the St Paul Press and the the Star Tribune have a long standing habit of trashing ATV and ORVs every spring, by publishing articles and pictures of "wanton damage and disregard to the environment". Last year they posted pictures showing a man with his dog almost in tears by a "trail closed " sign with big muddy ruts on the trail, blaming it on " lawless " ATV riders, when it was obvious by the size and width of the tracks, that a truck had been there, unless they make ATVs with a 6 foot wide wheel base. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the ruts were put there by the picture takers. I am all for preventing unneeded damage to woods and nature areas, but the main fact remains that a lot of states have a pitiful lack of legal riding areas and trails, leaving people that spend thousands of dollars on their trail machines with few places to enjoy,and unfortuneatly, many turn to making their own trails, trespassing, or riding in easily damaged swamp or wetland areas, which makes a lot of non riders angry at the whole sport. A lot of the basic problems could be addressed with establishing easily accessed trail systems that would keep ATVers off restricted areas, put more money in areas with increased tourism/riders buying gas, food,and renting camping areas / motels, etc. Trails for hiking, biking, horses, etc, could be kept seperate, to minimize conflicts and complaints. The money and effort it takes to do this would be well worth it in the long run.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hey, why don't some of you guys up there that are volunteering your time working on the trails to improve the conditions, and limiting the damage try and update them on the positive efforts that are being carried out. I mean, equal time should be afforded right?

The bad thing is BAD news sells newspapers... and there are a lot of BAD reporters out there who think they are doing their readers justice by pointing out all the evil ATV'rs antics.

Heck, when I was a kid, our tractor used to make some ruts on the farm in the spring thaw.. I didn't see anyone out there taking pictures and making it sound like we were competing with the grand canyon...

They should be looking at ruts and mud holes as ADDED FEATURES, not something that detracts from the experience.... Maybe if you started charging extra to ride through a mudhole.....

Out here on the East coast, no self respecting enthusiast will put his machine back on the trailer unless the mud is caked so thick that you can't tell what make or model it is. What is a rut or two between friends anyway?

Quick Reply: "ATV club left red-faced over trail damage"