Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Pombo visit to Wild Sky/ Rally Sultan Wa 08-18-05

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everett Herald 8/14 Propaganda on Wild Sky

z

Published: Sunday, August 14, 2005

Wild Sky foe plans a flight over area

By Jerry Cornfield
Herald Columnist

Guess who's coming to Wild Sky?

It's Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Calif., the man responsible for keeping the dream of wilderness advocates cocooned in the U.S. House Resources Committee.

Thursday from a helicopter, Pombo will get his first-ever look of the 106,000-acre proposed Wild Sky Wilderness Area in eastern Snohomish County.

Next to him will be Wild Sky foes, apple grower Ed Hussman and Republican County Councilman Jeff Sax. No pro-Wild Sky passengers aboard.

Afterward, Hussman and county Republicans are throwing a barbecue in Sultan to toast Pombo's two-year stomping of Wild Sky legislation, even though an identical bill passed the Senate and the president signaled a willingness to sign it.

Pombo, a purist when it comes to the 1964 Wilderness Act, said it covers only land "untrammeled by man." There are plenty of tire tracks and footprints in Wild Sky.

Yet, wilderness backers cling to hope that the flyover means Pombo has not closed the door.

Not likely, staff members say.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Thank god.
I do have more specific info on this barbecue if you would like to attend. So does SAWS

Old 08-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

A letter to the editor of the scab sheet who published the previous story

This summer the Herald published an opinion titled ;

"Wild Sky- lets try a constructive approach" About two thirds the way through it the writer stated......""Many, including the late senator Henry M. Jackson who helped write the original wilderness act have repudiated this "purity argument".
My question is this: Can you back up this statement by providing the time, date, and place of this "repudiation"? I will be EXTREMELY surprised if you can.
The U.S. Wilderness act of 1964 is a legal document with a LEGAL description of what constitutes wilderness
and the US Forest service itself states only 33,0000 of the 106,000 acres qualify as wilderness under the LAW.. Many could live with the proposal had only 16,000 acres of the proposal been excluded. (the ones with 35 miles of roads, bridges, and culverts)
Now I would guess that to be constructive would be to be willing to compromise. If that is the case then exactly WHO is not being constructive here? Three proposals....the same EVERY time?
I have lived in Snohomish county most all of my life, and I have driven most of the 35 miles of roads that you want to close to the public......WHY? My nephew just returned from his second tour of duty in Iraq (thank God), and I cannot understand where our boys and girls should be fighting and dieing for freedom in Iraq, and Afganistan daily, while the likes of Rick Larsen, Patty Murray, Maria Cantwell, Dave Reichert, and people like yourselves want to DENY freedoms for ALL to enjoy the this section of the Mount Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest.
Mr. Pombo, Mr. Husmann, THANK YOU for your efforts and I WILL be there at your rally on Thursday in Sultan!!

Jim Zielasko

Old 08-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

Seattle times 08/19/05

Everett Herald Wild Sky 08/19/05

KING 5 Seattle Report on Pombo Visit

Here are links to stories pertaining to the Visit by Chairman Pombo to Western Washington this week.Video link in K5 story Times link doesn't seem to be doing it. Snowest has that link in land use forum.....It might work.

PS....... Please DO NOT give your business to the "Dutch Cup" restaurant in Sultan. Herald article tell you why

Old 08-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Pombo visit to Wild Sky/ Rally Sultan Wa 08-18-05

Recieved this yesterday................................

On behalf of Forest for People we want to thank you all for putting forth the effort and coming out on a Thursday afternoon to show your support for the Anti-Wild Sky position.

Your presence gave tremendous credibility to Snohomish County and to Congressman Pombo. We can be very proud of our grass roots effort on this front. It did not go un-noticed that this event was held during the middle of the day on a work day.

After meeting and hearing Congressman Pombo, it certainly was well worth the effort! We need more elected officials like him!!!

Again, thank you all.

Ed & Roxanne