Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

This is scary- Pentagon spying on Americans

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is scary- Pentagon spying on Americans

I personally find rising short-term rates a positive factor as I'm staying liquid, but considering they've created interest inversion that's a very negative economic indicator. That's it for the positive stuff.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
BINGO, You hit it right on the head, georged.

This is why im pushing so hard to make every american see the world for the way it is. These people in power, are just a hair away from attacking iran, and its all over oil and power and greed. This is why the rest of the world dislikes us. This is reality.

Sometimes you have to deal with the government you have....and not the government youd like to have.
If you believe this (which I think many of us do) then you also have to believe that 1) GWB is not running anything, and is being run by those truely running the country 2) The war is not about oil, but rather about continuing to fill the pockets of US corporate giants, and the absolute wealthiest Americans (deff not you or me lol) 3) All the actions allowing the trade deficit to reach its current levels (again lining the pockets of corp giants etc) endorsed or enacted by both parties, and the continued overspending in supporting their supporters etc is what lead the US to war, and not WMD's or oil 4) there isnt any solution that doesnt lead to fullfilling the teaching of one or more prophets.

I dont totally agree or disagree with the original post as there are some obvious points you can not deny, and others you almost can not accept. Some due to being a stretch, and others just due to their seriousness.

I have blamed both parties all along, and have also stated that I believe the issues of WMD's or Oil were not factors in any of this, and like so many others merely a smoke screen.

What exactly is the potential outcome of getting out of petro dollars, US dollars, and switching to the Euro is to be seen, but I also can fully appreciate the authors expectations as they seem to be inline etc. What I do not know for sure is exactly what I would think of using an act of war to prevent the situation (200 mil starving in the streets?) described by the author.

Then when you condense things to a smaller level and consider just how devestating it may be to a family who has a $300,000 note on a $50,000 home that is being forclosed on it does make sense on the smallest levels. Thing is most would have little compassion for someone running up that large a debt in the first place, and if they were using the $$$ only to entertain their wealthy friends etc compassion would be nonexistant.

I then linked this thinking to the main point of the thread, and then realized if any of the scenerios presented by that author were to become reality our civil liberties would be more important than ever!!

Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Tass
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Its interesting to read this discussion from start to finish and observe how the thoughts and points of view meander and weave themselves together. I sense the majority of the posters share one common thread of thought and that is an intense distrust of government and its policies and also share a tremendous dislike of its blatant disreguard of personal freedoms and rights. The discussions about Bush making public statements about his tactics probably make the message quite clearly that Clinton and his folks hid most things under desks, in the dark, or laying in a park somewhere. In truth, if the government, the pentagon (which is not a government) or anyone or anything else wants to spy on me they can just have right at it. I say nothing on the phone I would not say in public, I say nothing in e-mails I would not express in person. The years of life I have had in Oregon, the instruction and lessons learned from Grandfathers, uncles, mother, father, friends and so on put me in the mindset that if you want to know something just ask me..................Do you have the right to spy...............no............Do you have the right to smear............no............Our government and its officers are only proving what many of us have known all our lives................We are better than they are and they lead a false and shallow life. One thing they have been given by our votes or lack of them though is power...................Tass
Interesting observation.

I still cant agree with the thinking that it is ok for our govt to violate our civil liberties no matter the reason, and once we openly allow it to start there will not be any end to it. Maybe if we all consider all these rights, and checks and balances were put in place for a good reason and purpose we will be better able to realize the important role each and everyone of us plays in the big picture.

Would anyone openly accept the breaking of other laws like molestation, or murder if they were said to increase national security? Of course not, and as whacky as those examples may sound I bet our current examples would seem just as unusual to those who wrote the constitution.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: 440EX026

What exactly is the potential outcome of getting out of petro dollars, US dollars, and switching to the Euro is to be seen, but I also can fully appreciate the authors expectations as they seem to be inline etc. What I do not know for sure is exactly what I would think of using an act of war to prevent the situation (200 mil starving in the streets?) described by the author.
It's more of a dammed if we do and dammed if we don't situation. Our manufacturing industry is, for all practical purposes other than military hardware production (no longer applicable to civilian application) outdated and uncompetitive. There's no new wealth entering the country, attested to by our imbalance of payments, to provide true growth. As an economy we're currently living on debt generated by our aggression to retain USD as Petrodollars while rapidly grinding down the general standard of living through inflation combined with stagnant wages. To again become a dominate economic power will require a severe downward adjustment of our standard of living to compete in the global society. How that's achieved is the issue. War against Iraq (and don't kid yourselves, destroying a second Islamic nation will bring terrorism to the US in rowboats and economic problems most Americans are unable to comprehend) or a gradual decline, much as England accomplished after emerging broke from WW2. And it isn't just the US, a majority of mature European nations are facing the same dilemma. The difference being they aren't spending their treasure and using credit for out-of-proportion military expenses while the general public (there's that term again) pays the price.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

The interesting thing about a list like posted by Hondabuster is that change a couple words in each and it fits the Democrats as well.......................I suspect that politicians that thrive on the spin and loose interpretation are much like a teflon cat...............always land on their feet and nothing sticks to them. I have read about and watched numerous politicians in action, always watching for one that demonstrates even the sightest hint of governing ability. I am too critical I guess, no matter which party they support they are only politicians and spin doctors. I suspect we will give control of our ports at some time to a "friendly foreign power" and it will be the other guys fault, we are only a few years from having access to public property denied to us and it will be "our fault" for not banding together. This forum is land,trail, and environmental issues. Even if some of the posts might appear to be off topic the reality is that the parties, the politicians, the policies and the activities of all that folks have referenced have as an ulltimate goal to take what we have, restrict what we can do, and say its our fault....................In WWII my uncle was in a unit in Europe, it was the custom then to embroider an emblem on a scarf and send it to a service man. The emblem on my uncles scarf is a coiled snake with the motto "DON'T TREAD ON ME". As a young boy when my Uncle gave it to me the motto and emblem made perfect sense..........As an adult it now has an even greater meaning to me. The motto is the same.........................Only the enemy is different.......................Tass

Old 03-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 440EX026
Originally posted by: georged
Originally posted by: DSNUT
All you know is pessimism which means neither of you have faith. I am saddened by that reality. I did everything I could to help you see things in a more positive light (and there is plenty of positive things that you both choose to omit) but with little to no success.

Sometimes one can determine the destination by the road that is chosen. Unfortunately, I don't think you will ever find happiness at the end of this road you are on.

Carry on pushing anti-Bush propaganda, keep talking about how America is spiralling for disaster. There are far more who believe in the positive things and see America as that Shining City on a Hill. Those of us who have faith and optimism as our allies will prove your assessments to be wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Perhaps you could enlighten me a bit on the positive side of our fiscal circumstances. Just the basics; payment imbalance, trade imbalance, rate of debt assumption on deficit spending, debtor nation status, capital flight and migration from industrial to service economy with expanded trade imbalance. Where does all that end up at?

You continue to ignore the fact that US irresponsibility with regard to reducing civil liberties and deficit spending has nothing to do with my personal happiness. My interest is predicated on investment strategy. Reducing one's liquidity for capital investment purposes begs the question of what's worth investing in in the US other than liquidity? We've experienced interest rate inversion, not what anyone would define as a promising economic future, while administration continues irresponsible deficit spending with no future means to recover negative cash flow. We're supposed to cheer for irresponsibility?

Think there is a chance you both have solid points that dont need to be different in order to be correct?

I mean if you look at the financial conditions of most americans, and our country as a whole it seems everything georged has posted is pretty much in line, and even though there are certain points that could be considered positive that are missing do we then consider his thinking to be inaccurate, or is it that on a financial basis things really are not positive at all?

I agree with DS that there is a large benefit to all when keeping a positive attitude or outlook, and I know how little good comes from a negative, but that is also why I am seriously concerned with the all the negative indicators or conditions I am seeing (both here and in real life etc).

Maybe if georgd would consider posting what he feels to be positive financial indications, and DS post what financial issues he feels are not positive (negative lol) and then we all could discuss the info posted. Just an idea, but I think I am anticipating the outcome already.

Hey give it a shot!!
Looking at big picture stuff, I don't like at all how the current republican administration and congress are growing government. I don't like at all the increase in spending. This makes the stimulous like tax cuts harder to keep in place when a new administration comes into power. I am not afraid of deficits. They are actually a positive if they help motivate the govt not to spend money.............unfortunately of late, that motivation hasen't been there.

That is about it for the negatives.

Our economic growth is roaring, I believe home ownership passed the 50% mark. Interest rates are still very good and inflation numbers are much lower than the dooms-dayers were predicting a year ago. I have never before seen priming of the pump like they have been doing the last 5 years.............yet growth is happening rapidly, inflation is held at bay and interest rates are good. Economics are very different from 20 years ago.

Most of the people who were crying back in 2003 about the impending economic crash thought it would happen in 2004. The ones in 2004 knew it would happen in 2005. Now we still are growing and building wealth and we are approaching the end of the 1st quarter of 2006. When did you say things were going to get really bad, really quickly?

Old 03-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: 440EX026

It's more of a dammed if we do and dammed if we don't situation. Our manufacturing industry is, for all practical purposes other than military hardware production (no longer applicable to civilian application) outdated and uncompetitive. There's no new wealth entering the country, attested to by our imbalance of payments, to provide true growth. As an economy we're currently living on debt generated by our aggression to retain USD as Petrodollars while rapidly grinding down the general standard of living through inflation combined with stagnant wages. To again become a dominate economic power will require a severe downward adjustment of our standard of living to compete in the global society. How that's achieved is the issue. War against Iraq (and don't kid yourselves, destroying a second Islamic nation will bring terrorism to the US in rowboats and economic problems most Americans are unable to comprehend) or a gradual decline, much as England accomplished after emerging broke from WW2. And it isn't just the US, a majority of mature European nations are facing the same dilemma. The difference being they aren't spending their treasure and using credit for out-of-proportion military expenses while the general public (there's that term again) pays the price.
Although I would like to think I have a better than average understanding of economics I am also smart enough to know that I still dont know all that much about it, but I have seen all kinds of indicators that I do understand that all point to problems, and I am taking since the mid 90's or earlier. Things may not have been that great thru the 80's either but there was enough domestic production around to keep most busy, and in hindsight this is very likely the time that the effects were first being felt.

Even though I know there is certainly more than a few up to date or even model manufacturing plants in the US the problem is that except for the oddball these are owned by offshore companies. I remember more than one foreign company purchasing an aging known name US manufacturer only to have to update the entire plant.

Still even if the signs I have been seeing may be different than what others see there has been an obvious large reduction in US mfg (more in the older NE and MW industrial areas) and the imports that replaced it do not produce the same tax income (sort of the dbl edged sword since the wealth is being redistributed further up the food chain, while the tax burden for these same concerns and people have been reduced, what a concept) at the same time the average "joe" is finding less $$$ to spend (less taxed again) and the budgets of most every govt concern have grown so I am assumeing that the whole petro dollar issue was someones brilliant idea (totally sarcastic) to allow both parties to continue to try and keep all ends happy (while creating a uncountable deficit)but I have to think that anyone who was would have had allowed this situation (if the earlier view is completely accurate) to happen is more than a problem gambler shooting the moon, but totally irresponsible, and totally wrong.

Where does it all really end?

Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: [b]DSNUT[/
Most of the people who were crying back in 2003 about the impending economic crash thought it would happen in 2004. The ones in 2004 knew it would happen in 2005. Now we still are growing and building wealth and we are approaching the end of the 1st quarter of 2006. When did you say things were going to get really bad, really quickly?
I'm afraid I don't understand your definitions of growth and building wealth.

Let's look at growth as commonly measured by US GDP, GDP being the sum of all private and government transactions:

2005 US GDP was $13.4-trillion, a stated 3.5% increase over 2004. That's all the general population is ever going to read, hear or see about GDP, a positive number commonly described as growth. That percentage is what drives or curtails consumer spending confidence, be it on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.

2005 budget deficit - $319-billion (does not include Katrina allocated $62-billion as that wasn't spent until 2006)
2005 supplementary funds (non-budgeted deficit) for Afghanistan/Iraq - $120-billion
2005 SS trust contributions diverted to the general fund - $69-billion
Total - $564-billion

$564-billion is 4.2% of $13.4-trillion, resulting in actual negative GDP growth of .7% as it was supplied by debt, not product growth. Out of kindness I didn't include annual debt service on US debt to that negative number.

If you have even a basic grasp of accounting disclosure principles, you understand anyone in the private sector would be in the slammer for operating a company on those numbers and telling its stock holders it was profitable.

Building wealth. There's only one way a country builds new wealth and that's positive trade with other countries, selling (exports) more than it buys (imports). That means a country with a positive trade balance has taken wealth from other countries. The US had a 2005 negative trade balance of $725-billion, meaning in 2005 other countries took $725-billion of US wealth on a trade basis. The 2006 trade imbalance is already exceeding 2005. We went from being the world's largest creditor nation to the world's largest debtor nation in a relatively short period of time.

Imagine trying to maintain your household finances or a business under those circumstances. Perhaps we attended different schools, but I certainly can't define the US as growing and accumulating wealth. Unless, of course, one considers printing more money to cover shortfalls a viable economic solution to abnormal debt and trade imbalance. Sooner or later others will disregard that money in favor of another currency not encumbered by debt because each year its worth less and less (devalued).

Old 03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I will speak to that later. For now, tell me when the crash is going to happen in your opinion. When will these indicators reduce us to poverty? Just saying things are going badly isn't good enough. I want to know how nuch time I have to get my affairs in order for the depression?

Ron

Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: [b]DSNUT[/
I'm afraid I don't understand your definitions of growth and building wealth.

Let's look at growth as commonly measured by US GDP, GDP being the sum of all private and government transactions:

2005 US GDP was $13.4-trillion, a stated 3.5% increase over 2004. That's all the general population is ever going to read, hear or see about GDP, a positive number commonly described as growth. That percentage is what drives or curtails consumer spending confidence, be it on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.

2005 budget deficit - $319-billion (does not include Katrina allocated $62-billion as that wasn't spent until 2006)
2005 supplementary funds (non-budgeted deficit) for Afghanistan/Iraq - $120-billion
2005 SS trust contributions diverted to the general fund - $69-billion
Total - $564-billion

$564-billion is 4.2% of $13.4-trillion, resulting in actual negative GDP growth of .7% as it was supplied by debt, not product growth. Out of kindness I didn't include annual debt service on US debt to that negative number.

If you have even a basic grasp of accounting disclosure principles, you understand anyone in the private sector would be in the slammer for operating a company on those numbers and telling its stock holders it was profitable.

Building wealth. There's only one way a country builds new wealth and that's positive trade with other countries, selling (exports) more than it buys (imports). That means a country with a positive trade balance has taken wealth from other countries. The US had a 2005 negative trade balance of $725-billion, meaning in 2005 other countries took $725-billion of US wealth on a trade basis. The 2006 trade imbalance is already exceeding 2005. We went from being the world's largest creditor nation to the world's largest debtor nation in a relatively short period of time.

Imagine trying to maintain your household finances or a business under those circumstances. Perhaps we attended different schools, but I certainly can't define the US as growing and accumulating wealth. Unless, of course, one considers printing more money to cover shortfalls a viable economic solution to abnormal debt and trade imbalance. Sooner or later others will disregard that money in favor of another currency not encumbered by debt because each year its worth less and less (devalued).
I am posting a link to a website where people can verify your information georged. After researching this a bit you are comparing apples and oranges. The cost of Katrina and the war are cashflow issues. We have way more assets than liabilities. This nations networth is way in the black and we can afford short term cashflow deficits. As long as the GDP keeps growing, we can afford long term deficits. The only time we need to be very concerned is if inflation gets out of control............which it is not. If you have $100k in assets and $50k in liabilities, you have the resources to withstand a negative cashflow of $10 per month for a long time.

Cashflow isn't the only way to determine economic health. Just like when the car breaks down or the roof leaks, we will pay out of savings or borrow money to deal with it right now, but we will still go to work and keep earning money, paying our house down and advancing our career.

Here is the link, you should be able to find everything you need here to verify or see through all the claims of impending depression.

Economy

Quick Reply: This is scary- Pentagon spying on Americans