Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

broke back

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006 | 02:05 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default broke back

WOW DB, that was very touching and gave me a positive attitude and also a little emotional, for the good side. I honestly hope you are right when you said the highs out number the lows, and peaks higher than the valley's cause right now all I seen to see are the lows and valleys, but once in a while see the peaks, and highs far off. I have a wonderful family who are there for me, and found out memeorial day weekend my cousins girlfriend told me I am one of her top best friends, she is now one person I feel I can tell ANYTHING to, including you all who listen to me vent, my concerns and everything in between. THANKS!!!

LW, sounds like you were in worse shape than I was ... being in the hospital and recovery more than myself, and you sound almost back to the way you were, I also try to remember that so I can have something to go on, an know it could have been worse, and I'm thankful it wasn't.
I usually used my arms and legs anyway when I rode, but when I went over the bumps and I am shorter the wheeler would normally bounce up and whack me on the butt, but I think if I go slower I won't have that problem. I am also afraid of poping a wheelie, or climbing steep hills and falling off the back and more injuries caused, I sures in the hell don't want to go back to where I was before, or to take a step back.
My doctor said my rehab was to walk ,... he said I could go into rehab but all they would do is to make me walk, as far as what he said walking was it, I go back to him June 9th and might ask more about that.

On another note, I want to ask ya'll a question, or get your advise. I want to know if you all have pain other than your backs after you broke it. My sides and stomach hurt. It's not an internal hurt, but an external hurt, it's like my skin hurts and itches, and feels like it's bruised. Where my ribs are right below it, there is sometimes numbness and it itches like no other, then it hurts where it's numb. Doctor can't tell me whats going on, they say could be from the surgery or just from the wreck. It's just my skin on my sides and stomach that hurt, my back has less pain then my sides and stomach. Has this happened to any of you.

I know I have lots of questions, but this is the first accident I have been in, first surgery and first on everything, so I am scared and tons of questions, and you help has been wonderful. I can't thank you all enough, and DB I appreciate you offering me to PM you and LW hope I can PM you also if anything is needed, you all are welcome to PM me at anytime also.

Once again Thanks and take care to one and all.

BB or BBL, (Broke Back, or Broke Back Lisa, I should change it to that, so I can match LW and DB) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2006 | 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default broke back

Thanks Bitchy, I hope to think there are a lot of folks out here that like to help. Some of us are just more vocal.
I know about that feeling you are having. The reasons for it are many, and it is hard to put your finger on it. It could be casued by the surgery, or the fall etc. I am no doctor, but I know what you are describing. It is like a very deep itch that no matter how hard you try to scratch, you can't make it go away. I have spoken to a few amputees, and they describe the same sensation, although they call it ghost pain, it is the same thing I believe, only it manefests itself as an itch instead.
I would think it is related to the trauma your body experienced. I know in my case, I never had it in my back, but I sure do on the leg. I have patches that are numb after 3 years, and all of a sudden, the nerve in that area will fire off, sometimes a jabbing pain, others an incredible itch... then it goes back to sleep again. I found that if you rub it slowly, but firmly it helps. Scratching was just an exercise in frustration for me.
I am a bit concerned however that your surgeon isn't too high on therapy. Again, I am no doctor, but I have had extensive experience with therapy in the past few years. (8 surgeries on my right leg) And I'll tell you, I got a great deal of benefit from them.
Right now I think you are grasping at straws... and you are in the healing phase. The therapy folks will help the recovery go faster, and achieve better results. I recommend going to a sports therapist. The muscle groups you are wanting to work are more than the average person uses, or has to tone to perform. They can help you with that.
Also, as far as side pain etc... I think you will find a lot has to do with the way you sit/walk/move. You are probably over compensating for the pain in some way that you are not aware of, but your body knows... All you have to do is get your posture out of whack for a moment and boom, you find muscles you never knew you had before screaming for mercy. As they strengthen, it should get less. Again, the therapist should be able to assist in that too.
You are doing good... You are reaching out.. and you are getting yourself together. The pain will go away with time. Rememeber to keep positive. I know it is sooo hard. But the only person you hurt is you when you are down... and worrying about things will not make them better. YOU have a goal... and all you have to do is keep reaching for it.
I used to start my riding classes with a simple test. I would tell my students to reach as high as they could.. once they had their hands in the air, I'd scream now reach higher... I'll tell you, the would all struggle, but they would manage to do it. I hope you see the wisdom there...
You can, and will beat this... Just keep reaching... it will come.

Old 05-30-2006 | 05:45 PM
LW
Trailblazer
Default broke back

BBL,
It sounds like you are on track. I really like DB idea going to a sports therapist. Those people deal with active people that want to get back in the game in being active. That's you, girl!
It sounds like were trying to keep the stance, when you were riding before. There's no rush to ride an ATV, etc., right now. Your body is still recovering and healing. I just want to make sure ride more in attack stance in the future (saving your back when riding aggressively).
My gut feeling that your ribs & stomach are still healing as the layers of skin, muscle, & nerves are regrowing. I kind of remember that, but I focus more on bigger pain or loss of movement. Perhaps sports therapist could answer that question.
My goal here is get you on track and to re-assure you will be fine. Since you know I was pretty bad off and you know I recovered, then you are assured you will recover!
LW.
P.S. I enjoy your questions & issues. Send them out any time.

Old 06-02-2006 | 01:38 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default broke back

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I would tell my students to reach as high as they could.. once they had their hands in the air, I'd scream now reach higher... I'll tell you, the would all struggle, but they would manage to do it. I hope you see the wisdom there...
You can, and will beat this... Just keep reaching... it will come.
Yes I can sure see the wisdom in that. After my accident, I can sure say it has changed my life, a little for the worst, and even some for the better. I am sure no matter how much I reach, or how much I try, I can always do better, and stive to do so, not just reaching, but everything life throws my way.

LW, LOL BBL, I must say cute, and made me smile.

I have another doctors appointment a week from today at 9:30 so I will ask him somethings you brought to my attention, like therapy, and a few others. But I will keep you all posted, and if you all have any advice, or positive things to tell me, ... please do!!!!!

Bitchy BBL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2006 | 02:26 AM
LW
Trailblazer
Default broke back

BBL,
I think you have quit a lot of supporters. Today, I noted 341 people viewed your topic. I bet several viewers ponder, what if that was them, what can they learn from you. I think several viewers sit quietly, saying I've been there to. So now you are role model to others.
A couple of things today.
- Improvement. I want to talk about improvements in training in sports and injuries. You may have noticed there are days you improve. There are long days,weeks, you show no improvement, a plateau. There will be periods you will digress, when you loose some of your improvements. All these are normal. So never feel bad, if you are not improving regularly.
- Luck. Funny thing, you said you were lucky. You know, I really didn't feel lucky when I was leaving the hospital. People said, how lucky I was. I could move my hands and legs. I still was in a lot of pain both physically and emotionally. Physically, if I turned, stood up, or walked, I was in pain. Emotionally, I worried about the future. I worried how I was going to take care of my family. The workers comp nurse told me, I would never be able to work again. My employer wrote me off and advertised my job. I didn't feel lucky. I was depressed. Actually what happen, when the nurse and my employer wrote me off, I got serious about training properly (workouts & meals). Okay I got extreme. My depression left as I trained. Now I digressed from the original point, luck. It wasn't until I could see a pathway to any future, did I start to feel lucky.
LW.

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:42 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default broke back

LW, .......... LUCK, yes I thought when I left the hospital, what kind of luck is this? and still today I don't think I am lucky, several people from the hospital said there was somebody watching over me, and people say I have an angel. If it is true when they say someone close to you passed away and makes sure the people still here stay well, All I can say is RIP Rick Joplin. He passed away 12/25/2005, and I have this feeling he was looking over me, worst thing was saying goodbye to Rick and going threw this. I can tell day by day things get better, but I do have those bad days worse now than ever before, it takes a LONG time, but I do believe I will get there, even if I have to undergo another surgery to get the rods removed. About the depression, I see it often, but last saturday was my birthday that I almost didn't have, and we had a big party, a great time, and was taken on a harley ride from my uncle, days like that make me happy, and glad I am alive and makes me realize it will get better, and I will do what it takes. I have seen the number of people who have looked at this, and I hope it has made some people think it could have been them, I was never afraid of anything, and thought nothing would ever happen, and then this happens. I hope no one has to go threw what we have!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2006 | 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default broke back

Now I know why we think alike. My birthday was yesterday Sunday the 4th. So happy birthday... life is good, and getting better every day. You just have to look for it...
My numbers may be larger... but I don't count past my toes and fingers anyway. I guess we could always count teeth, but I'd run out of them too...
Hang in there ...

Old 06-06-2006 | 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default broke back

Well happy birthday! Any progress, feeling any better? I was excited all day today, after getting news that my wrist has healed so well he couldn't see where it was broke. I cut the cast off a month early too, and this appt. was at 10 weeks. My doctor was stunned, said he's never seen one heal in less than 12 weeks. And mine healed perfectly with only 8 weeks in a cast.

I did take calcium and magnesium. I don't remember if I already said this, but I did some research on healing bones. You can do a lot for yourself by researching which foods to eat, and which to avoid. You can find a lot of good info on osteo (sp) sites.

Old 06-06-2006 | 02:07 AM
LW
Trailblazer
Default broke back

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DB![/b][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

BBL, perhaps at the time of the accident I could have seen the big picture clearer. I was afraid was going to be a burden to my family. For me at that time, it was important to my identity to be the protector and provider for my family. There were certain mile stones I visioned. Today, 3 1/2 years later, I have gone passed those issues.

Sparky, I read that web site osteo. Interesting site. I believe, I was one of those male statistics with low calcium. Do you take a particular brand of calcium supplement?

Old 06-06-2006 | 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default broke back

No particular brand. And to be perfectly honest with you, I only took it in the beginning. It's really important to do your own research, then ask your Doc questions. For example, in the ER they told me to take ibuproferen. After doing some research on bone healing, I found out that NSID's (non-steroid anti-inflammatory) can add a lot of time to the healing process and in some cases inhibit it all together. If you go to enough sites, you'll get all the info needed.

Go to sites about osteo porosis (I probably spelled that wrong) and look for diet tips regarding bone growth. I also read a lot of other medical sites. A lot of people would just assume drinking whole milk will give you the calcium you need. But I read somewhere that the vitamin D added doesn't help in healing the bones, and calcium and magnesium should also be taken.

Quick Reply: broke back