Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

broke back

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006 | 02:29 PM
LW
Trailblazer
Default broke back

BBL,
Energy and pain. Things you want to do now. I read you want to run so bad. Please allow your body time to heal. I put my running times on the forum, so you know you will recover. I waited to make sure my bones, muscles, & nerves had recovered, before I began a regular running program. Definitely start working with trainers &/or therapists, when you get the okay from your doctor. Stay within your doctors guidelines.
Practice stating positive mind set to yourself everyday. Most it importantly, I'm glad to read you do test your body. That's positive thinking when you are trying.
LW.

Old 08-09-2006 | 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default broke back

At this point in time, stretching is real important. For every minute you work out, take 2 to stretch. Both before and after exercising. You need to warm up, and cool down the muscles. Don't worry, they will come around...

Are you off your pain killers yet? That is a priority goal. It will help with the depression....

Even more important than re-training your body, is retraining the mind and soul. I am sure you know what I am getting at here. It takes a lot of time and effort.... I see sunshine coming back in your life... bask in it.. embrace it. Keep going girl.

I can tell it in your writing.... and I sense a smile on your face too...

Old 08-11-2006 | 12:51 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default broke back

Yes I want to be able to run/jog again, but I know I can't do it right now, but I can to a point and I can see I am getting better, I am finally able to put it in my past and I don't think about it 24/7 like I used to a month or so ago.
And Yes I am almost off the pain pills, I take them approx one every two to three days, I can also take over the counter tylonol 500 and it works just as good as the vicodins the doctor gives me, if not better. Yes, I can finally say, that things are not as gloomey and cloudy as they were a month ago, the smile comes back these days when the sun is shining on me.

Old 08-12-2006 | 01:28 PM
LW
Trailblazer
Default broke back

BBL,

Sounds like you are more up this week and on track! Keep positive mind set, "I'm improving everyday."

Checkout: http://spine-health.com

LW.

1.5 mile
8/12 - 19:16 min.
8/17 - 17:07 min.
8/19 - 18:06 min.
8/21 - 16:52 min.
8/24 - 18:12 min.
8/26 - 16:47 min.
8/28 - 19:03 min.
8/31 - 16:56 min.
9/02 - 16:57 min.

Old 11-30-2007 | 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default broke back

It has been a while, how about an update on how you are doing?

Old 11-30-2007 | 09:33 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Default broke back

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

Hoorah, we have no quitters here... Get in there and take charge. Considering the alternatives, I'd rather drive this train than be a rider. But then again, I always liked turning ***** and pushing buttons to see what they did... Dumped a load of gravel in the middle of the road once doing that..... I drove away rather than shovel it..... Made the newspaper too... "Phantom protester dumps load of gravel.....Police mystified.."</end quote></div>

Hope you are healing faster than ever Bitchy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

DB, got a good laugh reading this again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2007 | 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default broke back

Well this is cool ,never saw this post when it was first on here ,
but i to suffered a herniated disk L4-L5 area ,thanks to gentics ,was in my mid 20's and doctor said it was so bad that I'd be useing a cane by the time I was 40 .well here I am 43 still in the Army Reserves ,and can out run 95% of the younger soilders in my company ,
I work out every day ,or just stretch out in the morning when I can't .thru trial and error I have discovered that keeping my core strong ,ABS that is the only way to keep my back feeling great ,I do have relapses when I get stupid and lift something wrong .

with that said Bitchy I hope you are doing well ,an update would be great .

Old 11-30-2007 | 09:32 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default broke back

Well Hello again to all of you, it's been a while!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for thinking about me and wondering how I am doing, hope you all are doing well. As far as me, I am doing great, I am back to the way I was before I broke my back, completely off the drugs, I now have less pain in my back than I did before I broke it, with all things considered I had a wonderful doctor and a caring family, and friends (including ya'll) who helped me threw it. I am back to myself, although with the rods and screws in my back I am limited on my turning ability, like when you turn and look out the back window of your car while in reverse it's not so easy and I will never get that back unless I have the hardware removed, and as long as they don't bother, they are staying there!
So I guess I am back to my old self again, yes I do still ride and I still ride the same 660 that I crashed on, bumper got fixed, I jet ski, and swim, you name it, I am still anwry (hope thats spelled right) as ever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I kinda forgot until i went back and read some of these, I forgot how much pain I was in, how depressed I was, and what a rough time it was, but I know it has taught me a lot and I learned from it, and I hope I never have to go threw anything like that again, or I never have to see or hear about anyone else going threw it.

Hope you all are doing well and since it is so close to the holidays .... I hope you all have a Merry Chrismas, or whatever you celebrate, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] wish you all the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2007 | 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default broke back

That is fantastic news! These are the kinds of life's lessons that can really get a person down, and force you to reach out for help. You really find out that there are people in your life that care about you. It doesn't matter if you have never laid eyes on them, or shook their hands. The compasion of man is the greatest gift we have. Spread it around like planting seeds. You never know what will grow from it, but it will be magnificent. Of that I am sure.

Take care dear, and you have a wonderful Chistmas season as well.

Oh just out of curiosity, how did the job situation work out?

Old 12-01-2007 | 11:26 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default broke back

Yes it was amazing how it all turned out, and I am very thankful!!!

I got my job Dec 15, 2006 as a courier for a subdivision of st lukes hospital pathology dept. I drive a company car to the hospitals, clinics, and doctors offices to deliever them slides of tissues and pick up specimens, such as pap smears, bone biopsys, I have gotten things such as fingers, forefoot, hemmroids, *********, knees, colons, products of conception, plecentas, you name it I am sure I've picked em up. they are in a see threw bucket and in a clear bag, so I can look at em if I want to, some just pick em up and drop them in their bag, but I like to see what I am carrying around, I guess I am sick like that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but I love my job, I get paid 12.00 an hour which around here is pretty decent money, I used their car, they supply me with a phone and a gas card, so yeah the year 2007 has been much better for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!