Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
I enjoy the luxury of auto trans-Engine braking-4x4-winches-agressive tires-high ground clearance ect ect ect---------just the same way that I enjoy my cars and pickup trucks fully loaded with features.

WHY do I have to not have the features that I like because some idiot dont excercise common sense when getting on an ATV? Besides, there are many features on an ATV that actually make them safer to ride vs not having them.

Do we also take air bags out of our vehicles to protect idiots from themselves? I dont think so.

EDUCATION is the KEY WORD HERE. I have been a proponent of ORV safety training for EVERY PERSON who owns any type of ORV under the age of 18. And if you are over 18, you MUST have to go to a training course at least once.

Next thing we must do is to get rid of these idiot instructors teaching these safety courses and get experienced and properly trained instructors to do this job. There is no sense in making mandidtory ORV training IF we are going to use BOZO's as instructors.
I agree, but dont just discount all the factors involved so that were never blindsided etc.

Just like I prefer the much easier to operate sit down style jetski etc I still know it was responsible for the banning of personal watercraft from more waterways than I could count if I tried, and even though its obvious that the machine isnt operating itself (hey I never drove mine directly into a boat, pier or other pwc etc) and the only offense it may be guilty of is attracting someone who had issues in its proper operation.

Trust me that I understand the absolute final responsibility is and has to be with the rider, but I thought the relation between ease of use and loss of intimidation with injury increases from stupid actions needed additional discussion.

Maybe we have beaten the horse to death etc, and need to now begin concentrating on the issue of getting our message to the proper legislators, and how to get results that will benefit all involved in our sport, and actually save people from injury, and not just get jammed with another "feel good" law that does crap for anyone.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

There's so many people out there who don't do as they should when riding. I use to go with a bunch of people all the time none wore helmets 98 percent of the time they had to drink before it was over and you just knew how the day would end. You know the manifactures give people a preview of rules and thing that people shouldn't do but it's truely common sence and people will to want to do it. You can't make people act adult if they don't want to. Accidents are gonna happen to the best of riders but the more prepared you are and with God's grace that is what desides the out come. My husband bought me a 4 wheeler recently and I aggravated him about a helmet ( saying I wasn't gonna wear one) but of course I do. We also have 4 kids and they have there own rides and God knows they're have been wrecks and turn overs but they are doing fine and are learning from experience ouch!! But you have to becarefull while you are learning and one thing I teach my kids is NEVER LOSE RESPECT FOR YOU RIDE cause once you do you lose your common sence and it will put you on your butt or worse. We can't make everyone do what they should and not everyone is born with common sence but we should all try our best to help those who don't . I wish every one the best of luck with that. And maybe we can't help the adults but we can teach our kids the best we can. Speaking of kids its my day off and its nice out side why am I on the computer???? Housework can wait to I' m gonna get my kids and our gear and go ride. P.S. Don't blame all parents we don't tell you to act like a a--!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Great post Loridarlin, and I really like this part of your signature
A family that plays together stays together!!!
With a little planning I think riding offroad (atv bike or whatever) is one of the best family activities as everyone can join in on the fun, and it not only gives a great chance to bond, but also to teach all kinds of lessons and values to the little ones (and even some of the bigger ones lol).

Maybe this and my real love or passion for riding is why I sometimes get a little heated in discussion etc, or maybe its the real issues of so many special interest types trying to shut us all down completely, but either way I believe its something worth fighting for, and that all the honest and great comments here are helping to do this.

I know some have addressed this previously but now we really need to get to the point of how to push our knowlege onto our legislators. There are some here already doing this in many different ways, but like most already know were need to act together as a group as well so that our message is the same, and we can pick up momentum with new enthusiasts goining in.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I know it is a tough thing to do, but I'd start with local riding clubs, and as for national issues, I can't find a better group than the blue ribbon coalition. You won't find any group that you like all the politics of, but the BRC seems to have the best record of making real differences in many major issues.

Some state groups have been making enroads too. You might try looking around at what is available. The real answer is just do domething, and keep doing it. Invite the lawmakers to go for a ride. They like that.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

ONE TEEN KILLED, ANOTHER INJURED IN UTV ACCIDENT
UNION COUNTY, NC
April 1, 2007

One girl died and another was in fair condition Saturday night following a UTV accident in Union County.

The incident happened around 1 AM Saturday near Highway 218 and Bunn Simpson Road. North Carolina Highway Patrol Troopers said nine people were riding on a Kawasaki Mule "UTV" when the driver turned off the road. He tried to climb an embankment when the utility vehicle flipped over. Allyson Paige Stanley, 18, of Monroe was killed in the accident. Stephanie Tucker, 20, was also injured and was listed in fair condition Saturday.

Authorities said alcohol was a factor in the crash and everyone on the UTV was drinking. Investigators also discovered only the driver was of legal drinking age. Troopers said the driver of the UTV will be charged with reckless driving and misdemeanor death by vehicle. Alcohol Law Enforcement is also investigating.

Let's see now...

Nine (9) people on a KAWA Mule. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah and someone is probably looking for a way to sue the manufacturer for an unsafe product.... You can't legislate stupid...

Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Yeah and someone is probably looking for a way to sue the manufacturer for an unsafe product.... You can't legislate stupid...
Apparantly you cant fix it either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else read the comments on this one and think "now there is a perfect example of the problem" ?

I use this as an example to show that no law or potential penalty is going to solve this, and only our hard work and efforts somehow causing our legislators to act on this without predjudice or favoritism to anything but fixing the problem thru education (and the other ideas presented earlier) are going to reduce the amount of incidents we see.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

Mother and Son Injured in ATV Accident in Kanawha County
"Mother To Face Criminal Charges"

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

KANAWHA COUNTY, WV --

Kanawha County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to an ATV accident Monday evening on Allens Fork Road.

Upon arrival they found a Kanawha County woman and her 2-year-old son had been injured in the accident.

Both were hospitalized and the mother is now facing criminal charges.

According to witnesses, the driver of the ATV was 21-year-old Tara Thaxton from Allens Fork. The passenger on the vehicle was Thaxton's 2-year-old son, Dacoda Benjamin Thaxton.

According to one witness, "Thaxton was driving the ATV recklessly and lost control, ran off the roadway into the ditch, where it flipped several times before coming to rest."

Thaxton and her son were thrown from the ATV and both were taken to Charleston Medical Center's General Hospital for treatment. The 2-year-old, Dacoda Thaxton, was treated for minor injuries and released. The mother, Tara Thaxton was still in the hospital with serious injuries. She is however expected to recover.

According to the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office, Thaxton will be facing a variety of criminal charges related to the injury of her young son once she is released from the hospital.

Do ya think someone in West Virginia is reading this forum topic?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Those of you old hands on this list that know me, can vouch that I have been preaching education for a few years now. What saddens me is that no matter how much we preach it, there will always be the group that thinks that a) they have nothing to learn, B) rules don't apply to them, c) nobody is going to tell them what to do... Personally, I hope they go out there and splatter thair brains on a tree so we don't have to worry about our kids meeting them head on on a trail somewhere. Improve the gene pool. We don't need them.. and if they are arrested, and have their machines confiscated, and their kids taken from them, I say here here and AMEN to that... Maybe then, you will get mothers like this stupid woman to wake up and listen to the message we are trying to pound into that pea brain of hers......

Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Draggin that makes sense, but are we doing the best job of getting our message out?

I know there is more I could do if I had the time, and I am not sure I am ready to become a full time advocate right now.

Still I think if we do as much as we can in a coordinated effort that includes jamming this message down the throats of as many politicians as we can etc we can reach many more and even more than that if this somehow snowballs into a larger and larger group working on it.

I wish I had all the answers on how to make it all work, but maybe some of you guys can post your thoughts and we can see what we can come up with etc.

Quick Reply: Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?