Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: EEResQ

What Kentucky, and 49 other states need to do is "Enforce the laws already on the books."

A perfect example is: KRS 189.224 "Permitting unlawful operation of a motor vehicle prohibited."

Specifically, this statue reads: "It is unlawful for the owner, or any other person, employing or otherwise directing, the operator of any vehicle, to require, or knowingly permit, the operation of such vehicle upon a highway in any manor contrary to law."

So, when Grand Daddy Bubba lets 13-year-old Bubba, Jr., drive the Kawa 650 'Brute Force' down to the local C-Store for a Mountain Dew, he's already broken the law. Enforce this law, and it may save a Sheriff's Deputy the time involved in directing traffic around the accident scene while I scoop up Bubba, Jr.'s remains and pour them into a body bag for a trip to the morgue.

You see, the laws are already in place. Now, we've got to find a way to proactively enforce them.

I agree. More and more laws are not the answer. Enforcement of current laws and better education and training is.

QUOTE FOR TODAY:

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Laws dont make up for blatant carelessness and will never prevent all accidents, living in a police state is not the solution.Being reasonable and consistent in enforcing laws is important.The good old boy system only creates hostility and anger for responsible and law abiding riders and usually ends up creating more problems.Politics and atv riding dont make a good combination.Being a responsible and considerate atv rider do.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

It's nice to see some posts by other members. It at least shows there are a few that care enough to give this topic more than a click of the mouse.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>mxz670HO - Unfortunately,there will always be accidents.Its all about personal responsibility.And that means being responsible for your minor son or daughters riding habits.Always wear a helmet.It is dangerous to put others lives in danger from the carelessness of your or your familes riding.Respect others.Teach responsibility when riding and always ride to your ability, knowledge of trails, and weather conditions.And never drink and drive at all, especially if you are underage (not 21)!!!</end quote></div>If all atv riders followed your suggestions, there would be far fewer accidents. Nearly all the needless, preventable, and negligent injuries and fatalities would be gone. That is all we can hope for.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Laws dont make up for blatant carelessness and will never prevent all accidents, living in a police state is not the solution.Being reasonable and consistent in enforcing laws is important.The good old boy system only creates hostility and anger for responsible and law abiding riders and usually ends up creating more problems.Politics and atv riding dont make a good combination.Being a responsible and considerate atv rider do.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I agree. More and more laws are not the answer. Enforcement of current laws and better education and training is. </end quote></div> Most agree better education and awareness are critical for safer riding. Most agree the current laws need to be enforced while there is less agreement that more laws are needed.

One of the ways to educate and inform people is to make sure when accidents make the paper, comments stating what laws were broken would be very helpful. Also, have newspapers report when convictions are handed down for the cases where the atv laws are broken in a big way.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

Experience is an issue that has not been mentioned much in this thread. A few hours training have little chance if the individual does not ride often enough to put that training into practice. Repetetion of correct procedures is the only way to make the learned items automatic and natural. There are plenty of laws, there are numerous ways to receive the instruction, there is only one way to make it part of the rider. Practice, Practice, Practice.............Tass

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Experience is an issue that has not been mentioned much in this thread. </end quote></div>That's because the vast majority do not involve lack of skill or riding over one's ability. So many just result from lack of common sense, lack of adult supervision, or failing to follow the basic safety precautions such as wearing helmets and staying off paved roads.

Here are a couple quotes from riders who have ridden at a Cal state OHV park. California "gets it" and the strict enforcement results in much lower per capita ATV fatalities.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Pros: Close enough for a day trip. The trails are wide enough for people to pass with ease. Plenty of places to explore. Been there three times, and haven't seen it all yet. never to crouded.

Cons: They rangers give out way to many tickets. And not very many jumps.

They rangers are extremely intent on giving out tickets. The two biggest infractions are riding down the paved road. And having a loud pipe. They sit around a corner and wait for you to come to them, pull you over, check your sticker, then give you a sound check. ka-ching! There is a little tiny sign as you enter that tells you to stay off the pavement. everyone misses it. Be Aware!!! Take no chances, stay away from the roads and you'll never see them.

Pros: WIDE OPEN AREAS/GOOD FOR QUADS
Cons: RANGERS ARE STRICT

PLACE IS GREAT IF YOU FOLLOW THE ATV RULES SUCH AS WEARING HELEMTS STAYING OFF PAVED ROADS YOU WILL BE FINE BUT TRAILS ARE GREAT. IN CASE OF EMERGENCYS, PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GLAD TO HELP INCLUDING RANGERS.</end quote></div>

Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

The ability to stay on the machine, the ability to keep the machine upright, the ability to recognize obstacles before they turn into an accident, and the ability to control ones speed all insure that common sense and helmets can do their job. Adult supervision is a must assuming the adult knows what to do and acts like an adult...It often seems its easier to pass on bad traits than good ones........Tass

Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The beginner will have their special moments.. It is part of the learning process. I do not think we are talking about the larger percentage of riders that DO practice good riding techniques and used all the gear etc. One thing you have to remember is that in many of the accidents, you have people that are breaking those basic common sense rules. Although the numbers seem to be high, when you consider the number of accidents per hour of riding, they are still a fairly low percentage.
Where I am going with this is that I do not think it wise to legislate for the veritable few.. Sure they get all the press, but in reality, we should not let a few drive the sport and the laws that apply.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Sure they get all the press, but in reality, we should not let a few drive the sport and the laws that apply</end quote></div>I agree with the concept but the world does not work that way. If everyone did the right thing there would be no laws. The few that spoil it for the majority are the reason every law gets into the books.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: windtrader

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Sure they get all the press, but in reality, we should not let a few drive the sport and the laws that apply</end quote></div>I agree with the concept but the world does not work that way. If everyone did the right thing there would be no laws. The few that spoil it for the majority are the reason every law gets into the books.</end quote></div>

I disagree, the injuries are just an excuss by many to restrict those that ride. There are those that don't want anyone riding any atv at any time, ever. These same people are pushing for more and more restrictive laws everyday for the elimination of all off-roading, hunting, guns, etc, etc... Do you think algore was joking when he called for the elimination of the internal combustion engine? And now we get to give even more billions every year to the UN to fight global warming, a subject that is a long, long way from the conclusions of the mainstream scientific assessment. Global warming is one more reason to eliminate our sport. OK, I'll get off my soap box now....

QUOTE FOR THE DAY

The problem with Washington is too many democrats and not enough rope.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>TOPIC:

"Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?"</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>"I disagree, the injuries are just an excuss by many to restrict those that ride."
DeeDawg</end quote></div>

Ignoring the remainder of your post (politics are discussed on another website's forum), you really can't be serious with this way out in right field statement, can you?

So, you think the mother who placed her 2-1/2 year-old son on an ATV designed for, and clearly labeled: "FOR CHILDREN AGE 6 AND OLDER!" was part of a conspiracy to restrict those that ride?

And, when he got his little neck broken because he didn't possess the upper body strength to control the machine when the wheels turned sharply to the left causing it to turn over, landing with him underneath it, you think this is part a conspiracy to restrict those that ride too?

How about when the emergency medical personnel scooped his lifeless 2-1/2 year-old body up and placed it in a body bag, is this part of a conspiracy to restrict those of us that ride as well?

As I too ride, I think I'll render my opinion to this way out in right field statement of yours, Get your S_ _ _ together Marine, and think before you post! If you really believe what you just stated for all the world to read, then show up at sick call on Monday morning and submit your request for a Section-8 evaluation. I still know three flag grade officers who, after reading what you wrote, will sign off on it.

Quick Reply: Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?