Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

You know Tass... we may not be able to reach everyone. God knows there are many that will sneer at what we say or do... So be it. I can't fix the world. I have always advocated making sure that parents who are new to the sport have accurate information available when they make their decisions on what machine to buy.. whether their child is emotionally stable enough to ride one, not to mention physically able.

I want them to know that these things are not baby sitters or toys and although these things are dangerous, there are things they can do to mitigate the risks.

I have no agenda.. I have no stake in selling a machine or gear to them... just an honest desire to help educate them so that they can feel comfortable in making their decisions. Although the factories are helping out, there is so much more that could be done.

Many dealers would not like the above... but Mine is tops in that department.. He knows what I am about and we have a mutual respect for each other, and share a concern about his customers and their kid's safety. He and I can sleep well at night knowing that doing this is the right thing to do.... Now the parts guy sort of cringes when I come in... but he has gotten on board with it too... I actually believe it has increased their business because the customer goes away with the feeling that "Their" dealer actually cares about them. Is that a motive.. well perhaps... but I know him well enough to cut him some slack on that one...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

delete

Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

You know Tass... we may not be able to reach everyone. God knows there are many that will sneer at what we say or do... So be it. I can't fix the world. I have always advocated making sure that parents who are new to the sport have accurate information available when they make their decisions on what machine to buy.. whether their child is emotionally stable enough to ride one, not to mention physically able.

I want them to know that these things are not baby sitters or toys and although these things are dangerous, there are things they can do to mitigate the risks.

I have no agenda.. I have no stake in selling a machine or gear to them... just an honest desire to help educate them so that they can feel comfortable in making their decisions. Although the factories are helping out, there is so much more that could be done.

Many dealers would not like the above... but Mine is tops in that department.. He knows what I am about and we have a mutual respect for each other, and share a concern about his customers and their kid's safety. He and I can sleep well at night knowing that doing this is the right thing to do.... Now the parts guy sort of cringes when I come in... but he has gotten on board with it too... I actually believe it has increased their business because the customer goes away with the feeling that "Their" dealer actually cares about them. Is that a motive.. well perhaps... but I know him well enough to cut him some slack on that one...</end quote></div>

Yes i understand fully. I'm going to set up some funding threw my company DLinv.com just to help kids get products they need. I may even start a small group with friends and family members to do the same. Having 3 kids my self i know how hard it is to get into this sport. After i gave away my first fly jersey to a 12 year old about month ago i knew that is what i wanted to do. Mind you the jersey was brand new and cost me 13 bucks from rocky mountain. Ive seen gloves to helmets for 10-100 bucks. I would never let my kid step on and atv with out the right gear so why should i let someone else's. And i've only been riding atvs for 2 months.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

See.. that was easy... Did you get a special feeling out of doing that? No amount of money spent can match that...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

See.. that was easy... Did you get a special feeling out of doing that? No amount of money spent can match that...</end quote></div>

The feeling you get. Can not be explain by words. i really need to update my profile. Also if you see a need in your area don't drop me line..

Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

I think the main problem are ******* riders who break laws, ride their quads 75 down 35 streets, refuse to wear helmets, pipe out their quads, and basically don't give a damn about the sport. It irks me when I ca hear a quad buzing from a mile away then pass me 30 seconds later passing all of the cars. That's not sport, that's just being a glorified/poor man's daredevil.

If you want to rip your **** on private property without a helmet, so be it. But it's messing up the sport when people do this on public/state land for everyone o see.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

You must live in an absolutely rotten part of the world............Your list of infractions is totally foreign to this part of the world. I feel sorry for you having to put up with that kind of crap. You are describing the worst of the worst........Tass

Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

It doesn't happen often, but once a year is far too many times. Last week we saw it while riding... a teen on an old 250r 3-wheeler buzzing past us and many cars. We heard him from like a mile back.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunately it happens more often than you think... and it is the ones that get hurt that the media zeros in on...

Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Range Rover

on the original question- gear.

Simply gear. I come over from sport bikes and I see the same question asked there. Put on your damn gear. It's that simple.

At least a lid. I'll tell you strait up there are no 'reasons' for not wearing head protection, but there are tons of excuses. And that's all they are, excuses.

I'm all for that choice, but I'll also not pull any punches telling you that it's flatly retarded to not wear helmet and eye protection at least. "Can't find a comfortable one" or "it's too hot" or whatever. It's all excuses. Heard it all before, and it was crap then too.

I'd get along fine with my street helmet, much less my MX style lid. I reject the comfort argument out of hand. Any lid, not even the high dollar ones, are better than scalp and hair when it comes to rock protection. I bought a quad- before it touched dirt I was buying a helmet, goggles, and gloves. I wear my street boots when I ride as well.

The simple fact is that many injuries are totally preventable with simple gear people are just 'too cool' to be seen in. I buried too many friends on motorcycles because they just couldn't be seen in proper gear and a small get off ended up with a funeral. One of the main reasons I got off the Superbike replicas is that I got tired of my friends being killed.

Second- alcohol. I see more dipshits with a beer in hand on the trails......of course without gear, can't swill brew in a full face.........But drunks abound, and since trails are quiet, you'll probably get away with drunk riding, and alot of people mix camping and riding- most people do it for years and get away with it.

I can't find the link, but CO produced a study showing that more than half the off highway accidents involve booze.

A dramatic decrease in injury is just that simple to fix. Wear protective gear, stay sober. Sadly, those two things seem to be the hardest to convince people of. Never mind the overwhelming statistics. Nevermind pure common sense. People have encyclopedias of excuses at the ready.

It gets old hearing the same tired excuse you've heard from the guy that now eats thru a straw and can't speak after his head injury.

Now- I've nearly lost my one leg, shattered both and broke my back on a dirt bike, full race gear, sanctioned race track. Two years learning how to walk again, electro-shocked my muscles just to make them move. So gear doesn't make you invincible. But I've seen my helmet- and know that I was a dead man without it.

As a community we can be vocal. We can simply call bullshit on the excuses on why someone isn't wearing gear. Often we're too nice to fellow riders, even friends. But then you're just an accessory to the problem. Tell them that you're out to ride and have fun, not hold their skull together until the Life Flight can arrive.

As for booze- zero tolerance policy. Anyone that can't have fun riding an ATV without booze, is an alcoholic and needs help. I like a drink now and again- but I don't need it just to enjoy my afternoon on a quad. Don't bring it, if someone cracks open a cold one before a ride, leave them behind.

Harsh? Sure. But the question is what we can do. That's what it may take, but then, the alternative is..............

Quick Reply: Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?