Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

I know this can be hot topic for many, and I have been blasted in the past for mentioning it etc, but its starting to look like our sport is going to have to address the growing amount of serious injury and fatalities (even if they are growing at a slower pace than the sport or numbers of riders is etc) before things heat up and one of the many groups opposing our preferrence to enjoy ourselves on atvs makes our lives more miserable than they have already.

It seems like as the sport has grown so has the absolutely unbelievable number of people (stupid or otherwise lol) who manage to either hurt themselves, or worse allow a child under their care to become injured or even dead.

What I am thinking is that if we (experienced riders) can nail down some of the root causes like the types who use an atv as a baby sitter and then blames the world for their neglect hurting or killing their child, the new rider who is not properly educated on the proper use of his 800cc 700lb machine and why rolling it onto himself can kill him or his passenger who is clearly shown by his manual not to have been on the machine, or the countless other things that are really causing these things to happen.

I will offer the following links below(just some of the ones I receive daliy from yahoo and google) as examples of the results etc. but bear in mind that the idea isnt to discuss any one situation, but to address those things that may be major contributors to these serious losses, how to repair the situation, and at the same time improve the safety, image, and future of our sport.

Links:

Individual ATV deaths sometimes overshadowed by record numbers
Indiana County man dies in ATV crash
ATV Deaths Rise In 2006
?06 record year for ATV fatalities

As you can see this is serious, and even if you dont share the sympathies that I do for these people and their families you have to be able to see how this is not only affecting the individuals in our sport, but the entire sport as a group as well. Its not in a positive way either.

Ignoring the problem will not make it go away, and I believe that type of thinking will only fuel our opponets and cause us more trouble in the long run.

Since I am not an authority on this I can most likely add more questions than answers, but just having an open discussion should allow us a good chance at some potential sullutions.

So the question is what do you believe are the real causes (I am talking about rash of accidents to normal or average riders, and not talking about the freak racing accident on the mx track, but if you do have something to offer there I guess it couldnt hurt etc) for these increases beyond the increase in ownership etc, and what you think can be done to help repair the problem.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

I think I speak for more than myself when I say the manufacturers should start putting quality tires on these atv's. I am glad to see yamaha has stepped up and offered mudlights on the 07 bigbear.....I am not a big fan of putting cheap or poor quality tires on these offroad machines.

That is all I can say cause the main reason for all the deaths is that......people are not riding these machines as they were intended to be used. In most cases that I am aware of anyway!!!

No manufacturer is able to create an ATV that can be safe in any old riding condition. It is the parents and riders responsibility to choose what ATV suits the type of riding they will be enjoying. Wrap this around your skull along with your helmet and stay safe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

-
Unfortunately we can't make everything safe. While I think that the best thing manufacturers could do would be to distribute free riding tapes to everyone buying an ATV, and a State could insist on helmets for everyone along with a written test each year for a driver's licence, and communities could sponsor practice areas, that still wouldn't take care of the problems. One other help would be to encourage ATV clubs where responsible riding would be the most important joint goal.

Take a look at these forums. There is constant talk about juicing up the vehicles so they are faster, can jump farther, climb tall rocks in a single bounce, part deep rivers of solid mud, go at top speed of 60 mph, and so on! Well, you can't keep accidents down if you have so many people trying to exceed the parameters of what these ATVs were designed for.

While it is possible that many of the accidents listed in the links above were done doing no more than chores, it seems that many were where there was someone driving beyond their capability. So without being a total "Nanny State", I would have to consider no more than my suggestions above.

GJRonK

Old 01-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

in my opinion i think anyone under the age "defined on the machine safety decals" operates the machine then the mfg is cleared of all the liabilities, on another note anything over a 250-300 should have to be 21 or older to purchase/ride.. that way the rich kid can't beg there parents to get them a raptor 700 or banshee for their 13th birthday and flip it and kill themselves on their b-day..................

Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

those are sad statistics and i feel for the families but allot of times these types of accidents can be prevented. in those cases, carefully read the language as it seems that they were not operating the vehichle where and how they should; and there is no mention of alcohol...which could also be a factor but it is convient for the atv haters to leave such crucial evidience out of the articles. some of the lanuage also hint at the atvs having minds of their own and just suddendly flip over, went off the road, etc.. they dont do that unless they are not ridden with proper skill and care. mine sit in the garage and never move unless I move them. at no time has any atv ever just flipped over by itself in the garage or went off onto the road or just took a stroll...with no intervention from a person.

I agree everone should be trained and be careful at all times - the OEMS PAY for the trainng i just dont see where people are taking them up on the offer. They need to issue licences for them, thats what it will come to. but as large as these statistics are, there are far more deaths from motorcycles and autmobiles than atvs...why not ban them as well? its riduclous. I got hurt on a horse before. lets ban them too...

Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't get it myself. I have run across so many numbskulls it boggles the mind. The only way it is ever going to get better is if we, the riding community, take up the cause and apply serious peer pressure. To many of these accidents are caused by flagrant disregard of common sense rules. No helmet or other protective gear, kids on adult sized machines, drunkeness while riding... Why is it that the guy that insists he doesn't need to wear a helmet is usually the first one to end up laying on the ground?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Great points!!

I thought if enough of us would take the time to think it out, and type it out here we would be able to come up with some good things to combat all the bad things, and especially the bad press.

Some of the points you guys made about the mfg's seem to be good ones, but I am thinking a good part of their responsibility is linked to how, who, and what they are marketing to etc. Just like the inexperienced new rider with wealthy parents spoiling him without taking the time to research what they are getting into (mentioned in one post), the general need for a mfg to sell units produces the need for sucessfull marketing, and that may (and seemingly does) have little to do with the end user beyond creating the need, or desire needed to cause a sale.

I know when I watch the countless adds for the larger 4x4 util machines shown as being high performance atvs that are designed to attract our bravado or macho side I get a big laugh, but I also question just how many new riders (and not just kids either) will make one of these machines their first atv due to the advertizing, and how many would have been much better off on a smaller less powerfull, and much lighter atv.

The mfg's are as would be expected looking to move their higher priced units (most not only create larger sales dollars, but also higher profit margins) and it only makes sense to put more effort into selling $9,000 units than $4,000 ones, but are these machines appropiate for the people who end up buying the majority of them?

I am not picking on any one segment of our sport either, and I have seen the same problem exist with the high performance end too, but there is a very large difference between them (just as there is with the machines themselves).

We have to remember that as atv riders we dont see one of the most important parts of riding (for newbies especially) that a MC rider does, and thats the combo of fear and respect, and its a combo that can be very healthy for a new rider.

Seems like due to the stable appearance of our four wheeled machines (they are quads right!!) many new riders dont have the respect for things as they should or even as they would if they were on two wheels, and these larger and plusher units (you know the ones approaching if not already surpassing $10,000) are so deceiving that its pretty darn obvious how someone without the experience or knowledge in our sport could let their guard down and quickly get into trouble.

These are not the "cowboys" or wanna be H-Bomb riders either, but just normal everyday people caught up in the hype.

Just my .02

Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I just don't get it myself. I have run across so many numbskulls it boggles the mind. The only way it is ever going to get better is if we, the riding community, take up the cause and apply serious peer pressure.ext
You know thats a great idea no matter what ever else we can help with etc.

I also know its not a popular thing as not too many riders want to get into the hassles of hearing crap from others they just reminded how stupid they are for not wearing a helmet, or riding double down the street.

But guess what, this is something I have done many times, and you know what except for a couple wise ***** who needed better pursuading etc [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] there have not been any problems.

I have to admit it is easier when I am riding myself, and it just sort of creates a different bond or situation, but I have followed a couple riders to their driveway to remind them that it may be their business if they get their brains splattered all over the place, but if it happens on their atv, and it affects my ability to ride in this area then its also my business.

You will get some weird looks, and maybe even a couple of one finger salutes, but thats a small price to pay.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

i think that a large part of these atv related accidents happen because of the false sense of security that average people develop. Im sure some parents even think "it has four wheels, it cant be dangerous". I guess some people just don't have the respect for the machine that they should have.

one thing that really gets me going is people not using proper safety gear. how hard is it to put on a helmet?!?! Even after helmet manufacturers have put millions of $$ into making these helmets look hella-tight and save lives, it amazes me how many stupid people there are that think that they are too "experienced" to wear one..

i agree that there is a huge problem with the amount of ATV related injuries and deaths, but we all must realize that as long as there are stupid people on this earth, they will continue to do stupid things...

Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: loosenutzzzz
in my opinion i think anyone under the age "defined on the machine safety decals" operates the machine then the mfg is cleared of all the liabilities, on another note anything over a 250-300 should have to be 21 or older to purchase/ride.. that way the rich kid can't beg there parents to get them a raptor 700 or banshee for their 13th birthday and flip it and kill themselves on their b-day..................

I know it wont happen in this lawyer run country, but it would make sense that unless there was a direct manufacturer defect (something like a braking failure, or loss of steering from saving a few bucks on a tie rod or end etc) then the liability should be on the other real cause of the accident, and thats rider error.

Quick Reply: Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?