Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV age limit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 10:00 AM
|
Range Rover
Default ATV age limit

Here in Oregon the Senate is looking at a bill 049 to limit the age of riders for atv's. This is a huge impact on not only Oregonions, but all who like to vacation here on the coast or anywhere here and ride as a family. Please take a look at this link and write Sen. Bates asking him to not sponsor this bill any longer.

link

Thank you
Patrick

Old 01-20-2007 | 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV age limit

I'd rather it passed, hopefully to drive an intuitive requiring formal instruction and licensing of all off-road drivers of dirt bikes and ATVs on public lands who are too young to obtain an Oregon driver license.

Old 01-20-2007 | 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV age limit

SHHHHHHHH dont let the lawmakers here in Arkansas hear that.

Old 01-27-2007 | 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV age limit

At the local swimming pool you have to show the life gaurd you can swim across the pool and back before you can go to the deep end. I don't mind seeing a little, like mandatory safety course for riders 15 and under or someting like that. However one size fits all does not apply in the reverse also. Most 12 to 15 year olds are to big for 90cc atv's. Where will the happy medium be? Here is a case where common sense should apply, however those of you that have been to the dunes know that it doesn't, so how do we police ourselves so that the goverment doesn't!
From my years in the sand it appears to me that the real problem is some of the younger adults who act like morons,pushing more and more negative light on the sport, heck almost all kids are more disciplined and way more courtious. maybe the goverment ought to regulate us adults instead of the kids[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
From what I read there is a lot of other issues at stake.

Old 01-27-2007 | 09:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default ATV age limit

We do a trip to Oregon Dunes every summer, and we spend lots of MONEY in Oregon! Our group has many kids under 12, all of whom have been riding since they were in diapers. I would venture to say that most are better riders than the average adult, but granted being kids they may lack perfect judgement at times. All have taken the rider safety course.

ATVing is a FAMILY thing for us and I know we would stay home if the kids couldn't ride with us, so you can pass that on to your elected representatives!

Old 01-27-2007 | 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV age limit

Originally posted by: reconranger
We do a trip to Oregon Dunes every summer, and we spend lots of MONEY in Oregon! Our group has many kids under 12, all of whom have been riding since they were in diapers. I would venture to say that most are better riders than the average adult, but granted being kids they may lack perfect judgement at times. All have taken the rider safety course.

ATVing is a FAMILY thing for us and I know we would stay home if the kids couldn't ride with us, so you can pass that on to your elected representatives!
I'm certainly not against anyone spending their leisure time in Oregon or anywhere else, but let's be serious about the economic impact.

The majority of ATVers who visit Oregon Dunes, especially those with families, are pretty well self-contained. They're RVers, campers and such who bring the majority of their food, beverages, etc., leaving the remains in Oregon. Some souvenir t-shirts, maybe a meal or two out and possibly gasoline/diesel are the normal extent of their spending money in Oregon. Most Oregon residents and non-ATV oriented visitors avoid the dunes on any three day weekend and the abutting weekends like the plague.

I'm certainly not against anyone spending their leisure time in Oregon, but let's be serious about the economic impact.

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default ATV age limit

Just guessing here, but I am willing to bet that georged is one of those utility riders who doesn't really have much use for the typical sport quad riders that are likely to show up at the dunes..........

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV age limit

Originally posted by: reconranger
Just guessing here, but I am willing to bet that georged is one of those utility riders who doesn't really have much use for the typical sport quad riders that are likely to show up at the dunes..........
To each his own. I don't care what anyone rides, that's their business. The topics were age of riders and visitor economic impact.

Old 01-29-2007 | 02:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV age limit

To each is own! Hope you have your own property, because eventually that will be the only place left for you to ride.
Try to remember we are all on the same team. recon I think your right.

Old 01-29-2007 | 04:02 PM
|
Range Rover
Default ATV age limit

Think of events like DuneFest. It is a Family event that has become very Family friendly over the past several years and that in it's self brings Thousands of dollars to the Coastal area's. It WILL make a huge Economic disadvantage to this state, being that they are trying to take The FAMILY out of FAMILY RECREATION. There are over 600,000 registered atvs in this state and If I can't take my entire family with me, I would not purchase a $55,000 trailer In OREGON, A $45,000 Truck to pull that trailer IN OREGON, the $20,000 in quads and equipment and riding gear. the aftermarket accessories and the fuel to get there, I'm just 1 family, multiply this by the thousands of families in OREGON and the one's that VISIT and the economic devastation would hurt our state.

Quick Reply: ATV age limit