Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Off-Road Registration Stickers?

I take it then that the officer ini question is protecting the right sof the property owner then? Give the guy a break... he is doing exactly what the citizens pay him to do. If you don't own the land, get permission. In writing if possible...

Old 06-19-2008 | 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

True, it just sucks when YOU are the one driving safely as a 15 year old on a quad 3 times bigger than he needs buzzes past you and YOU are the one who gets ticketed.

Old 07-05-2008 | 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

State of Texas says you have to have an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) sticker to operate on any "public" land. They define "public" land as any land owned or operated by the State of Texas. No sticker required for private land or private parks.

Also, if you need an OHV sticker (for public land use) you HAVE to have a helmet on when riding. You cannot have a passenger unless the quad is built specifically for two person operation (see the nice big two person Arctic Cat for reference).

Old 07-10-2008 | 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds quite reasonable to me...

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:14 AM
Trailblazer

In Massachusetts, we pay $40 for a 2 year registration. They give us a license plate that is the same size as a motorcycle license plate, but it's yellow. Than we just keep getting a new sticker for the corner of the plate. The 2 year time line starts from what ever Month you register.

I also just had to recently register in Maine as well. They use 2 stickers and must be placed on the front and rear of the machine. The fee was $69 for a 1 year non-resident registration. The 1 year registration expires the last day of June regardless of when you registered with the exception of May of the current year. Anything registered in May or later is valid until the following year in June.

As far as I know, none of the States here in the New England area allow you to register in one State and than ride in the others. I'm also not a 100% positive, but I think Vermont also requires you to have insurance as well.

I also ride snowmobiles as well and our registration is the same as ATVs. It is $40 for 2 years, expires the last day of the Month you registered in and it is a sticker instead of a license plate. My snowmobile registration is honored in Vermont, but I must buy a trail sticker and have insurance to ride there. But I must also buy a trail sticker to ride in Massachusetts as well as my registration. New Hampshire and Maine just require you to purchase a registration and that covers the trail pass so there is nothing extra required.

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:21 AM
Trailblazer

One other thing I would like to add.

I know the fines are steep if you get caught without the registrations, but the registration fees are very reasonable and do benefit our sport.

Also, I've been stopped on my bike (no longer own), my ATVs and my snowmobile at spot checks. Yes, it is a little bit of an inconvience, BUT well worth it. In every case, the Officers have checked my registrations, compared them to the VIN numbers and in one case, even called the VIN numbers in to just double check against theft.

Speaking as someone who had 2 ATVs stolen, I'm very happy the Officers are out there and do these spot checks. I only hope they catch the people who stole my last set of ATVs from us. I HATE THIEVES.

Old 07-13-2008 | 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Here in VA, they title the ATV's, but there is no registration program. Which causes untold problems when you try to ride outside the state. Most of us in Northern VA just go to PA and register there. I have not had problems with reciprical agreements with other states. But as is the case, all states are different, and you really need to understand what you are getting into if you intend on riding outside the local area.

Old 07-13-2008 | 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live on Long Island NY andI just bought a new honda rancher and i had to pay $50 bucks for the registration.

Old 07-13-2008 | 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think we ought lobby NATION WIDE--EVERY SINGLE STATE-- and get what riding priviliges we do have left out of the hands of law makers that don't even ride or have a clue what a weekend outing with the family, kids , friends, ect....
is even about.

OK 25.00 to 50.00 dollars for every atv out here and use the money to buy land and maintain with safety being #1...

Yea I know i'm dreaming but I hate people trying their best to take away places to ride and not useing our money that we all pay for its intended purpose.

...To support all off road ridding would be nice for starters...

just 2 more cents worth-- (to go with the thousands i've alrerady spent on registrations, tags, license, fees and everything else i'm forgetting)

Old 07-14-2008 | 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Here in nopva Scotia, it's $56.00 to register (includes a $40.00 donation for "roads" that I'll never see) and has to be fully insured ($230.00 for my BF650i).

Quick Reply: Off-Road Registration Stickers?