Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Off-Road Registration Stickers?

Well dude, welcome to the forums. Some will float your boat, others bore you to death. That is why we have a choice to go do other things. Besides, I agree with you, I'd rather be riding...

MWQ.. I didn't have that problem. I worked at a SUNOCO station. At the time, it was "THE" gas to have.

Say, anyone remember the smell of Klotz bean oil in a two stroke in the morning? AHHHHH now THAT is a memory you can never get out of your system..... 35+ years later I can still taste it... Yummy

You aught to ask me about my Top Fuel nitro-methane experience with my two sons some day.... Needless to say, neither one could smell anything for quite a while after that one... Dad's can be so devious some times....

Old 05-30-2008 | 10:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

Well dude, welcome to the forums. Some will float your boat, others bore you to death. That is why we have a choice to go do other things. Besides, I agree with you, I'd rather be riding...

MWQ.. I didn't have that problem. I worked at a SUNOCO station. At the time, it was "THE" gas to have.

Say, anyone remember the smell of Klotz bean oil in a two stroke in the morning? AHHHHH now THAT is a memory you can never get out of your system..... 35+ years later I can still taste it... Yummy

You aught to ask me about my Top Fuel nitro-methane experience with my two sons some day.... Needless to say, neither one could smell anything for quite a while after that one... Dad's can be so devious some times....</end quote></div>

This topic has wandered a bit.

That was a little before my time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I run Blenzall in my lawn mower and trimmer. My sons buddy wont use gas that is over 2 weeks old and gives it to me. My lawn mower is a 4 stroke but it smells so good I use it in there too.

We had Fremont Raceway(later Baylands Raceway) when I was 16. Wed nite was grudge nite. I think 3 bucks got you and anyone in your car in the gate. Great times.

Old 05-30-2008 | 11:00 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: garman351

This topic is really stupid:
Check your states DMV before you go out to do anything?
Any dealer that sells your product will tell you the answers.
Most states require license fees for almost anything.
garman</end quote></div>

This is a typical response from mr garman.

Old 05-31-2008 | 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Speaking of gas.... anyone out there experiencing any problems with the new blends that contain alcohol? I have having tons of problems with my son's quad. The carb will run for a couple hours, then start loading up and refusing to idle. I have had the carb gone through 6 times. Every time they replace the fuel filter and blame bad gas. This is new gas every time, and I have no problems with it in all my other stuff... same load, same can etc. I run stabil religiously too... I am at my wits end with this thing. I always run it out of gas in the float too. The tank has been off and cleaned as well, and we went through the lines etc. Rebuilt the carb multiple times, ran cleaner through it etc. new needle valves everything... Still does it's thing. He made it through the training course.. and now when we get it home it started acting up in the back yard a week later. I am ready to lay down a couple hundred for a new carb. The filters are decomposing I have noticed. I assume that is from the alcohol. I think I am going ot try a paper filter next. What do I have to lose right?

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

on the dragster(it is a rail with punched out 454) on alcohol we use a filter about 2.5 in long by 1.25 wide. you can unscrew it to check for dirt and stuff.
That still doesn't explain why only one of two quads give you problems if you are useing the same gas can on both.
you said you disassembled the carb--what are you seeing? any dirt- clogged jets, dirt in the bottom of the float bowl?

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

in iowa its 16.50 per year, i've had to get one for years but never been stopped by a dnr agent

Old 05-31-2008 | 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

No, there isn't anything in the carb. We have littereally had it apart 5 times in the past 3 months, and replaced the jets/needles twice just to be sure. It runs fine for a while then starts acting up. I haul it back down to the dealer, and he replaces the filter and away we go. This last time, they described the filter was getting "mushy". It is clear, and I can't see anything in it. The three mechanics there are pretty stumped. This is why I think I am going to try a paper type filter this time. Not onoly am I running the same gas load inMy quad, but my wifes, my lawn mower and power sprayer too. It isn't the gas. That I believe is their standard answer when they don't know what to do. I really trust these guys, but this one is a difficult one.. I have heard the same complaint on this model (Raptor 80) from several people. I am alos thinking strogly of taking the tank off again and washing it out. We also run the carb out of gas every time we run it too... We are doing everything we are supposed to do...

Old 05-31-2008 | 12:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Weird DB....have you tried cleaning out the gas tank on the quad? maybe it has something in it?

How long do you let gas sit in a tank? Im pretty fussy about my KTM and 2 strokes(2weeks) but dont sweat my air cooled thumpers as much.(months Id bet)

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Not any longer than the others... it has been 3 weeks now. The dealer "SAID" they had cleaned out the tank when they went through it the last time. I can only assume they had done a thorough job... They have had it in and redone it 4 times now at their own expense, so I'd assume the light bulb would have gone off after the second or third time. Their current actions seem to revolve around the fuel filter. They keep grabbing a blister pack model off the wall, so It doesn't appear to be a factory one. They ARE clear plastic though... I'd have thought that they would be having a lot of issues if they are selling a bunch of them to customers... but who knows, maybe I am the only guy they are selling them to... One of the comments has been that this particular carb has very smal orifices, and they are having a lot of issues with it. I can't vouch for anyone else's problems, but it sure is giving me fits on this one. And the machine is almost brand new. It is 6 years old, but had sat for 5 years after my son scared himself and would not go near it. Now that he has found his brave side, the machine is letting him down. I paid almost 400 to have them go through it and get it back running. It isn't the money that is bothering me.. it is the aggrevation. We had scheduled a training course with it and had already cancelled once because of problems. The night before the class, it acted up in our back yard. I loaded it up and ran it back down. When I got there, it ran fine. Maybe the jiggling it got losened something up. I am starting to believe that there is something in teh tank that is being sucked down to the fuel valve and blocking it off. Here is the problem with that though... When it acts up It won't idle, but will rev. That sort of goes against that theory in my mind. Like I said, I am about ready to just buy a new carb. Besides, although he isn't old enough for it, he is way to big for this machine. He will be 13 in a month or so, and he is almost 6 ft tall and weighs in at 170+ (Football coach is drooling). AND he is not fat. Just a big boy. I can't keep food in the house either... His shoe size is 12 now, and he complains that they are getting tight. I am thinking of getting him a 250. I know the issues with the guidelines, but I have it on inside authority that the new guidelines will be raising the 12-16 age brackets to at least 125, and consideration is being given to taking it to 250 considering that all new machines are now 4-strokes and 250's (4-strokes) are allowed to run in the 125 class. I just wish they would get the darn thing published. there are alot of kids in my son's age that are victims of the size versus age limit as well.

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it could be getting vacume locked. Gas flow is getting stoped. I have had that happen before. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Off-Road Registration Stickers?