Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why is the 2 stroke pollution so bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the 2 stroke pollution so bad

NO i didnt even go to the link Ill have to check it out.Al gore 2 me is just a communist who uses propaganda to get there way and agendas pushed forward.
Im suprised w all the emission controls on cars trucks an diesels,bikes an quads dont have 3 way cats but I see it coming down the pipeline starting w EFI on them.I rather have emission controls an have some place to ride then no controls an no place to ride like we do in this god forsaken state of the peoples republics of NJ.Put that in ya pipe an smoke it ha.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This explain a lot! There seem to be an unusual number of mud wallowing utility lovers in here, and now I know why........redneck hillbillies.........

Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

This explain a lot! There seem to be an unusual number of mud wallowing utility lovers in here, and now I know why........redneck hillbillies.........</end quote></div>

And a week later and he is still high on his horse bashing what he is not into.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I hate to admit it, but I typically like the same type of machines and even types of riding Recon does, but I just don't see why he bashes on other types of riding like "mud wallowing"? What are these people doing that is hurting him and annoys him? Having a good time? Why bash it, it's pretty pathetic.

Take basket weaving for example, I don't know why in the world would someone find that entertaining? But you know what, I'm not going to knock it if it's someone's hobby, but I bet Recon will unless he is a basket weaver himself.

Buuuut, that is typical liberal thinking, everyone should have the same opinion as the liberals, and I think we have concluded that our buddy Recon is a closet lib. No telling what else is being hid in there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This explain a lot! There seem to be an unusual number of mud wallowing utility lovers in here, and now I know why........redneck hillbillies.........</end quote></div>

A fine example of higher education. This is obviously an assumption? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

So when southern California burns (again) you wouldn't want any of them hillbilly rednecks to come help put it out. And when the next big earthquake hits (again) you wouldn't want those hillbilly rednecks with all that heavy equipment to come help out.

But you when you need funding for your "research" (or is it just sitting around talking) guess where some of that money comes from.

If this is the thanks all us hillbilly rednecks get, I'd just as soon die from unknown causes.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Next time Kalifornia burns I think Us east coast rednecks should throw a big bash and party,break out the Jack an SOCO people! I think this subject is just about shot in da butt,why beat the horse when hes already dead.As far as pollution is concerned Its a known fact that pollution causes cancer an other health maladies.Knowing my Folks grew up in Jersey city in the 40-70s 1 of the most polluted places in the country its no wonder they both got cancer.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Redneck Hillbilly huh ?
Considering the source I will take that as a compliment.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

The only 2 stroke I own is a Husky 272XP saw, otherwise I'm not a big fan of them. It would be interesting to look at cancer rates for loggers, people who run saws every day. Don't know what you'd find, but it would be interesting. I also have a 4 stroke weed eater (honda). It doesn't quite have the punch of my 2 stroke, Shindaiwa 27, but it's a lot more pleasant to use. Quieter, doesn't vibrate as much, starts easier, a bit more torque.

The problem with 2 strokes isn't your older quad, or your dirt bike. It's the boat/jetski engines, dirt cheap lawnmowers and weed eaters. Not that they're worse, but there are a lot more of them. That's where the pollution concern comes from, joe blow running these things every weekend in their yard or on the lake. The concern is that they're cheaper to make, so they were growing a lot in use, and they do put out some pretty nasty stuff. I can't quote exact specs, but the present 2 strokes are dirty engines - they put out heavy burned hydrocarbons from the oil, which are known carcinogens, and unburned fuel. Enough to hurt you on the occasional motocross? Probably not. Enough to cause a problem when an entire subdivision mows their yards with a 2 stroke? Possibly. So you two stroke lovers are being hammered because someone wanted to keep their yard neat, on the cheap.

They've made 2 strokes with sealed crankcases and pressure lube that don't need oil in the gas. All of our WW2 submarines were powered by four 12 cylinder 2 stroke diesels with exactly that design. That problem can be fixed, and I'd rather not have to mix oil and gas.

We'll see what the engineers and the marketers come up with. If they can make a clean burning 2 stroke, they will.

Don't do it myself (farm raised, don't care to see good land torn up), but I have nothing against mudding, other than the bad public image it puts forth. To everyone else, a mudhole represents everything bad about off road vehicles - tearing up the ground, causing silt and erosion. And that's what they usually bring up when talking about restricting access. Not saying people shouldn't get in a mud hole, just don't make a public display out of it. Creates problems for trail access, and we have enough trouble with that as it is, without giving the opposition more ammunition and more support from the general public. Same situation the deer hunters faced. To the average person, a gutted deer carcass is a nasty sight, makes them want to support a politician that restricts hunting. So the hunters got smart, learned to keep it covered up when transporting in a community.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modern 2 stroke engines can burn just as clean as 4 stroke engines. Look at the Johnson and Envinrude boat motors they run just as clean as four strokes.

I want yall to really think about all the junk yall said about getting cancer from 2 stroke exhaust. it would be impossible to determine wether or not the exhaust from a 2 stroke engine had anything to do with cancer. What about all the other things people come in contact with on a day to day basis. Who said something about checking with saw hands that are loggers? Saw hands are about extinct, no not from 2 stroke exhaust, loggers use cutting machines and dee limbing machines now days.

I have no problems with 2 stroke engines, they are simple engines that perform very well. Yes some smoke a good bit, some real bad like maybe to much oil in the mix??
I don't see the USA having a ban on 2 stroke motors. I would not expect the amount of pollution of 2 stroke's to even equal .01 percent of the pollution from internal combustion engines. my 2 cents

Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

fyi - California has bans on two stroke boat motors on many waterways already. They are going after lawn mowers and leaf blowers next. Following is a link to see get a very good idea how much pollution is created by various sources. Some numbers kind of pop out. Motorcycle pollution is pretty high compared to the other vehicles on the road, and boats dump a lot more pollution than I imagined. Mc contribute as much as 6-8% of all pollution generated by on-road motor vehicles for some kinds of pollutants. It is a lot more than some fraction of one percent.

Take a look, it is quite enlightening.

cal pollution sources

Quick Reply: why is the 2 stroke pollution so bad