Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why is the 2 stroke pollution so bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
TPR
The Champ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the 2 stroke pollution so bad

I have located the source of Reconranger's information.....

TPR

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Quad Patrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I guess I am use to throwing ideas like this around with doctors and medical students, so I never imagined that the level of ignorance was so great out there! Just shows how far behind American education is in the sciences! </end quote></div>

That's the problem, you are just throwing out ideas with nothing to back up your claim that these women have breast cancer from 2 stroke engines. And as far as this showing "how far behind American education is in the sciences". If you read the American Medical Journal, you would know that some of the European studies are disputed in it. Of course, maybe I didn't read the fine print that said; because I am not a graduate of a medical school, I am not entitled to educate myself with these types of journals and therefore, I am ignorant!

If all you can do is come in here and badger people with name calling and innuendo's, then your argument is weak!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quadracer95, the only reason most manufacturers aren't selling 2 strokes is because they didn't want to spend the resources on emmissions R&D. The old school 2 strokes put out more pollutants than 4 strokes by nature, it is easier to pass the standards with the new generation of 4 strokes. Not only that, but the bigger manufacturers have decades of 4 stroke R&D from the streetbikes, plenty of technology that could be adapted to the offroad racing world.

As for reconrangers post, I am going to attribute that to pain meds or something. He did have a few typos in that first post afterall, very unlike him. Living in So Cal, I would think those women may have had a much larger intake of exhaust fumes from cars than 2 strokes, so maybe that is where they got it from? The truth is that there are many factors that CAN go into the formation of cancers, but without some research to back up a hypothesy like that, it is a bit irresponsible to put that theory out there.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Maybe they both got some really nasty titty twisters at a young age?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

You medical research guys need to lay off the medicinal mary jane! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Back it with facts Recon...you know the information you like to see when someone is making a claim that you dont agree with? Yeah.. those. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

1 out of 8 women will develop breast cancer.

No one really knows what causes breast cancer.

Its best to get a mamagram at an early age and continue to get one every few years.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has all been very enlightening!

The great discoveries in science were made mostly by chance, when someone put two-and-two together and found a correlation between causes and effects. I never said I had any evidence of this, all I have is a hunch....putting two-and-two together..........

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

There might not be conclusive medical evidence of anything, but you know, if you inhale burnt gas and oil fumes over a long period of time, I bet "bad things are going to happen". You can put two and two together - that's pretty common sensical. Just like if I decide to do open header testing on a high horsepower V-8 engine in my garage. You know what, I bet I might have hearing problems down the road. Obviously if a news story came out saying that riding ATVs "causes cancer" the sport could take a hit. Will a story like that stop people from doing the sport they love? Hell no... Reconranger was being impartial with his opinion. I don't really think he deserves all the flak he's getting for just making an assessment.

Back on topic now. More food for thought. I own both 2 stroke and 4 stroke quads and dirt bikes. The 2-strokes might pollute the "air" more, but a 4-stroke may cause more erosion due to tire-spinning, and more noise pollution (stock 4-stroke dirt bikes are LOUD). Which is the bigger problem?

Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

id rather hear a loud exhaust that ding ding da ding ding iding ding ding da ding dad ding ding ding ... i hate 2 strokes not the power just the noise they make

Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadracer95

i dont get why 2 strokes are so bad i love riding them they have a power that you can not find any were else. i also no plenty of people that own two strokes and can not aford to go out and buy a 4 stroke. i think it is the dumbest thing ever. there are plenty of other things in the world to think about dont u think?</end quote></div>

The 2 strokes problem as far as pollution goes is 2 fold. First you have oil in the fuel that gets burned(not completely) and then the 2 stroke doesnt efficiently burn all the gas that it uses to make power. Not very good for making a clean burning engine. I think that if all the money that was put into making a 450cc 4 stroke beat a 250cc 2 stroke. Instead was used to make clean burning 2 strokes it would have cost less money and 2 strokes wouldnt be the new "EVIL" thing to be shut down.

You will be able to keep your 2 strokes, just wont be able to buy many new ones. I mainly bought my KTM for the e-start button but now love the way it works in the woods. Now that KTM is making 2 strokes with e-starts..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I guess I am use to throwing ideas like this around with doctors and medical students, so I never imagined that the level of ignorance was so great out there!</end quote></div>

So you throw a far fetched idea out there, and because everyone does not fall all over themselves to agree with you, that makes them ignorant.
I'm not saying that there is no merit to what you say, But the fact is, it's just an idea.
No proof of any kind to back it up.
So an idea without proof is subject to skepticism.
And to you that makes all skeptics ignorant.
That is a typical liberal tactic. If you cant come up with a logical defense when someone calls your hand, then start slinging insults. If you wasn't from one of the most left wing, liberal states in America I might be surprised.

Quick Reply: why is the 2 stroke pollution so bad