Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Donations Needed ATV Lobbysist

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donations Needed ATV Lobbysist

If you live in MA, ride in MA, have kids, ride an ATV, or can spare a buck or two- maybe more- please donate.
Help the MA ORV community hire a lobbyist to fight for our riding rights. First task will be to change the language on House Bill 3592. This bill, which has the strong possibility of becoming a law would make it illegal for 14 year olds and younger to ride ATV's in the state of MA. Parents would get fined and could have their license taken away and could possible serve time in JAIL!!!!! More HERE
Not much more then 30 years ago there were about 32 state parks in MA offering ATV/ORV trails, now there are just 3- Don't have a date but look at this document

Write to the legislators

You can read more about the bill and its progress HERE

You can read about donating RIGHT HERE

Please, I urge you to donate something- even a dollar. I know these are tough economic times, but please don't let the anti atv people in OUR government keep our children from having fun, and just being kids. This will be the first step to banning ORV in the state of MA.

Thank you!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

I read (scanned) just about everything you posted (including the links).

The proposed draft is for House 3592. I searched the link(s) you posted and found a Senate, No. 2772 bill, but no House 3592 listed at all ???? It's really not listing details, so I'm not sure if it is the same bill or not.

Back to the proposed draft though.

Definetly have to disagree with Sections 4 and 9. Feel bad that somones child was killed on an ATV, but to ban the riding is ridiculous. Seems to be the same thing all the time. Someone with more money than brains buys themselves or their children something, but doesn't get proper training and than it is everyones fault but their own.

Regarding Section 11, I have to agree with it. I took an ATV safety course along with my Wife. Have to admit though, I partially did it for the $50 refund, but part of it was due to the fact that my Wife was new to the sport. Also took a snowmobile safety course with my Daughter. I didn't learn much, but my Daughter learned a lot. In both cases though, it doesn't hurt to take the courses. (Side note: would have had my Daughter take the ATV safety course, but they said the ATV she had was too big for her age. She had a 80cc and was suppose to be on a 50cc according to them. When she sat on the 50cc, she was eating her knees. It was way to small for her).

Regarding Section 12.... well that one got me a little fired up. I loan my ATV or snowmobile to someone who is 18 or older (a legal adult) and I'm responsible for any damage or fines that they might occur. Well I just became the jerk friend/neighbor who won't loan anything to anybody.

Overall though, the majority of that propesed House bill is ridiclous. It is all take, take, take. It's funny though, they don't want us to have any rights, they want to take away all our legal riding areas, BUT they have no problem sticking their hands out for the registration fees.

Instead of asking for donations for Attorneys and asking people to write letters and etc, etc, etc.... Maybe it is about time that we looked into trail stickers like we use when we snowmobile. If we had something like S.A.M. for ATVers, than maybe we could get something done. S.A.M. gets their money from the trail passes and than they use that money for trail repair, working with land owners and fighting Legislature.

Don't get me wrong, I know all the local clubs are trying to organize with each other and are trying to work together. But if we sold trail passes where the money went directly back to the sport, I think we would go a lot further. Think about it, if every person who rode paid a $25 yearly fee for a trail pass, how much money would we have for Attorneys then ?????

I was suprised though that the only Dealer who responded to that guy on that other website was Popoli's. I've purchased 3 ATVs and 1 dirt bike from them so far. Actualy, the 2 ATVs I have now are from there. It seems like the Dealers stand to lose more than we do as lack of sales could put them out of business.

Please keep us posted on this.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I'm at work right now and will reply in more depth when I get home. yes the house bill has now progressed into a senate bill. Currently in the works is MTA (Mass Trails Association) which will hopefully be just like SAM that will unit all the clubs. There are some members of northeastatvers that have met with state officials regarding this senate bill. The good thing going for us right now is the fact that the current senate session is almost over.

As far as trails stickers..they don't do any good until people have contacted land owners and ascertained permission. The biggest problem is there are approx 90,000 (I'm sure more then this) ATV's in MA yet nobody wants to get involved. NEATV holds numerous work parties at October Mountain every year and the attendees to help maintain the trails dwindle each year. Again, nobody wants to get involved. We have had state parks shut down on us because WE (ATV'ers) did not have enough man hours maintaining the trails. It starts with us.

I was that "guy" that contacted all the dealers and popolli's was the only dealer that responded... I too have bought 3 ATV's from them, they are under new ownership and the new owner/opertaion is very nice. They seem very willing to work with people.

thank you for taking the time to read through topics and write your reply. If you haven't already done so, please sign up over at northeastatvers. We need more people that want to make a difference. I will be at the next work party at October Mountain even though my ACL replacement is not 100% I will still do my best to help out and maintain the trails.
Every little bit makes a difference.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

After I posted my previous comment, I did some more surfing on the other site. I found a few topics about this and realized that it was the same bill.

I'm all for standing behind it, but I defently think we need something simiallar to S.A.M. if we ever hope to get ahead. I just hope the MTA you posted about happens.

One other thing to consider to, is when the sport grows and the riding areas grow, so does the Police activety. Which basically translates to people without trail passes will get fined. Once poeple realize that it is much cheaper to run legal than it is illegal, they will register their machines and buy trail passes. Just my 2 cents.

Mike.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

My recommendation is to get in touch with the Blue Ribbon Coalition and ask them to look at it. These are the guys that file law suits and influence legislation around the country. AND they have a pretty impressive track record.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I'm afraid it's probably a lost cause in MA. The state as slid so far into tyrannical fascism that there is no getting it back. Many states are that way and are probably best left abandoned by Liberty loving people.

How sadly ironic it is that the states which gave birth to American Liberty, where the first battles to free Americans from tyranny were fought, are the very same states that today are doing their level best to eradicate that blood bought Liberty and replace it with the chains of tyranny, slavery and oppression.

Ever read the Declaration Of Independence? The list of grievances against the King of England are shockingly relevant today. They tyranny then pales in comparison to the tyranny that has developed from the institutions which were created to protect Liberty. It's quite sad.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

We have hired a lobbyist until the end of the year. Hopefully it helps having eyes and ears on the floor. I have had a few letters to editors published and so have a few others. NQATV had a 3 page spread in a Athol/Orange newspaper. There is small progress being made. It is all about making people aware of what is going on. So many have no idea what is going on at the state house.
The anti groups will never change their mind so its not about swaying their opinion. A state wide Mass Trails Association is in the works. Don't give up yet!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Where does John Kerry stand on this??? Both sides as usual, lol?

What a crock... "By the sword she seeks peace under liberty." How ironic...