Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

UPDATE CPSC guideline changes proposed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 09:22 PM
|
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default UPDATE CPSC guideline changes proposed...

Actually that is really happening. OEMS like Honda have opened several rider training areas, and are deeply involved in not only making sure that propertraining is available, they are also deeply involved in research regarding trail setup and maintenence, and well as research on the ATV and it's impact to teh environment. Several techniques on building and maintaining trail systems are a direct result. Another way that OEMS are involved is by both sponsorship of events, and in providing educational materials. You only have to look for it. It is right there at the dealers, and at events they sponsor. They even sponsor experts to speak at some as well. So they are out there, but it may not be the direct involvement that many expect.
The OEMS are not all bad guy money grubbers. There are efforts to continue to eveolve the sport as a whole. Just that in many cases, you do not see the efforts that go on behond the scene. As you have pointed out, they have a huge stake in the success of the sport as a whole.

This does not however absolve the ridership from responsibilities in this matter either. Rather the OEMS are acting in partnership with individuals and groups that are wiling to sacrifice time and effort as well. This cannot succeed if there isn't buy in and support by the riding populace. Sure they want to sell you a new machine. But to say that they are doing nothing but taking our dollars is a gross mis-interpretation.

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

But to say that they are doing nothing but taking our dollars is a gross mis-interpretation.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

i dont think i exactly said that. i dont view them as money grubbing hawks.
i said that it completes the circle for them and makes everyone happpy by them being more involved and getting riding areas. if they are sponsering races fine but i want to see places to ride for the average joe.
dealers around here just tell me of places i already know, not sponsered by any oem. id like to see one in nearly every state. maybe a big undertaking, but a few hundred acres in applicable places can have a huge impact.

Old 07-11-2008 | 09:48 PM
|
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Where ever involvement is needed by an OEM, it will have to start with the locals.. being involved, taking direct action, and then and only then, asking for support. It does not work the other way around. You can't expect an OEM to be going around buying up land contracts without knowing if there is a local populace to support their expenditures. Like I said, it is going to start with you, and a bunch of others in the local area that feel the same way.. and they are going to expect a monetary committment way before they commit their dollars. It is there, but truthfully you have to see their point of view too. Show them the committment, and they will support YOUR efforts.