Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Paria River closing in Utah to off-road vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paria River closing in Utah to off-road vehicles

Garfield County in Utah tried to lay claim to federal land and they lost the case in court recently. I've seen towns in VT try to do the same thing in the Green Mountain National Forest. They usually base it on some kind of "ancient road" act that's really hard to prove. -Not often successful against the Feds, as you can imagine.

Should watch this one and see how it develops....see if BLM starts to enforce the law now. If the County didn't try to claim the road (river bed), likely people would still be riding there. Talk about stirring the pot.....Looks like this backfired on them big time. I'd be ****ed at the county if I live in the area. Them fighting BLM on this is like shootin' a Grizzly with a .22 short. I guess they got convinced by some attorney, or local government jacka$$ that they could win. Gotta pick your fights....

One person writes: "They (local town protesters) are violating guidelines of the national ORV group Tread Lightly, which state: "Travel responsibly on designated roads and trails or in permitted areas. Travel only in areas open to four-wheel drive vehicles." The guidelines also say: "Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams, unless on designated routes."

It's a tough call...The trail will now likely be enforced as closed thanks to Garfield County. And an awesome looking ride vanishes for many. On the other hand, it is illegal. Regardless, it doesn't look so good for the off-road group, to the majority who don't ride off-road to be breaking the law and supposedly running down the middle of the stream in protest (who knows where they actually traveled though). I bet Garfield County is wishing the could have a "do-over" right about now.....And the protesters should have found a legal way to protest so they don't aggravate the situation and make it worse.

ksl.com - More than 300 ATV riders protest BLM plan