Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Informal Poll: Forest Management

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more than a 3. Riding is riding and the paths that the logging truck build are just another obstacle to play on. With the ever vanishing places to ride, I'll take whatever I can get.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

it tough for me to say. This may sound strange but I think it may actually enhance the ride.
I have been riding alot in the 717 trail system here near woodland park colorado and so far the most breathtaking views are from the tragic Hayman burn area.

so if the scale is 1-10 where 10 is the most negative impact I would say 1
But if its just general impact of my ride overall i would say 5 because a drastic change of scenery will always impact my rides.

The scenery is what it is, whether it's man made or nature it can still be breathtaking.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

I would say a 2. Clear cuts are common here and as long as they are done right and with prior planning, they don't cause excessive erosion or damage to streams. The deer and elk like them too!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by rancher55
I would say a 2. Clear cuts are common here and as long as they are done right and with prior planning, they don't cause excessive erosion or damage to streams. The deer and elk like them too!
Put me down for a 2 as well, as long as it's done right.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Range Rover

I don't have a problem with timber sales, I will give it a 2.
The problem I have is the Logging equipment will scar the land big time, and this is ok, but let the Feds. find me cutting fire wood, pulling my small trailer behind my Quad. They treat you like you raped a 10 yr Girl.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give it a 3, where i ride they are always cutting down the older trees. and replanting with new. The thing that bothers me is when they close that part of the trail down and you have to turn around. They should put a sign up letting us know that it is closed.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Anybody else want to chime in so we can get to the 20 "magic number"? I'm interested in seeing why Funride asked this.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Anybody else want to chime in so we can get to the 20 "magic number"? I'm interested in seeing why Funride asked this.
15 is good for now. Nothing earth shattering, but I'll reply later tonight. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

since Im a woods rider and love riding on tight tree/single track...

Lets go with a 8..

Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

If any of you have riden the west and seen all the dead and dieing trees due to the Pine Beetle epidemic caused by the lefties not allowing the logging operations to continue as in years past you would be saying -1.

How due you enjoy riding in a forest where all the pines are dead and BROWN!

Take a drive through the Medicine Bow Forest (Snowie Range), west of Laramie or northern Colorado and enjoy your view of a dead forest.

If logging (clear cutting) had been allowed to continue, without all the legal suits filed by the left we would have alot more greener forest. Now with no logging being done, all the lumber mills (4 total) have closed. Now what do we do.

If anyone needs any firewood, I have plenty.

Trees are a renewable commodity that needs to be harvested, like any other crop.
If not they die, just like any other living thing and when they are old they are sussutible to diease like any living thing.

Enjoy the view when riding through clear cuts or logged forests.

Quick Reply: Informal Poll: Forest Management