Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Informal Poll: Forest Management

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OLDBOY

If you are tried of having to turn around, try reading the legal section of your local paper,(timber sales are identified in the legal section) or stop by your local forest service office on the way to the trails and they can tell you where the active sales are going on.

And while you are there, you can pick-up a forest map, so you don't get lost.

Sure logging equipment leaves trails, but in a couple years you never know they have been there. How many mud holes have you wallered out by driving through them instead of going around.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, Funride, you promised us an answer as to why you made this thread. What's the reasoning???

Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by tramp
OLDBOY

If you are tried of having to turn around, try reading the legal section of your local paper,(timber sales are identified in the legal section) or stop by your local forest service office on the way to the trails and they can tell you where the active sales are going on.

And while you are there, you can pick-up a forest map, so you don't get lost.

Sure logging equipment leaves trails, but in a couple years you never know they have been there. How many mud holes have you wallered out by driving through them instead of going around.
If you read my posting, you will see that I don't have a problem with Timber sales.
I don't ride in Wet Lands.
The only time I leave the 2 tracks is when I am getting fire wood, I have a 07 Outlander and a Quad trailer. I cut fire wood to heat my Home, and store, and it is good exercise I am 67 years old, and have had 2 Heart Attacks, and can't carry the wood out to the 2 tracks
. When I leave the Woods, you won't know I was there.
Oldboy

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

If any of you have riden the west and seen all the dead and dieing trees due to the Pine Beetle epidemic caused by the lefties
Again, this has nothing to do with "lefties" or forest management practices, ecology, biology, etc. This is about you and your impressions as you come upon a clear cut as an ATV enthusiast.

Understand your comments though.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

yawnnnnnn.......

Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

As I said...........when riding through a clear cut.........Just enjoy the view you now have!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

As I said...........when riding through a clear cut.........Just enjoy the view you now have!
Ive been thinking about this thread a bit...in my 37 years riding trails in Ca. Ive never come across a clear cut.. Not sure why because there has been logging in the areas Ive ridden in in the past? Maybe they avoid the trail sections in Ca? I have been riding down a fire road and come across clear cut sections before..

In general Ive got no problem with clear cutting and or logging...My answer of 8 was only a reflection of my favorite type of riding...

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I'll take "What was this thread about anyway" for 400, Alex.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

1, here in Washington the largest major designated riding areas are in state forests which are used as a revenue generator for the state. Timber harvesting being the sole source of revenue from the state forests.
Even a very popular trail the goes up and over the Cascade Mountains passes through clear cut areas, these area offer fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys which would otherwise not be seen.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Is it just me or have we NOT been recieved the reason for this poll. Whatever next time have a point. And he is sure defensive about talk of lefties

Quick Reply: Informal Poll: Forest Management