Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Economic Impact of ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Economic Impact of ATV's

Some friends and myself just spent a day snowmobiling on the same trail system where we ride ATV's in summer. A big difference we noticed was that parking lots at resorts, bars and restauants were full of sleds. Some places we could barely find enough room to park. We never see that many ATV's, even on a fourth of July weekend. It would seem snowmobilers have a far greater economic impact, but I'm wondering if we're getting a true picture. I've never ridden anywhere but Wisconsin. If we had been riding someplace like Florida or Georgia, would we see parking lots full of ATV's?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Hatfield McCoy

Get on Hatfield McCoys website and check out the economic impact report. In ten years of the trail system over 40 new businesses have opened...they went from selling 3500 passes the first year to 35000 last year. Marshall University did a study that the average rider spends 175 bucks when they hit the trail system...175 bucks times 35000 passes=$6,125,000. In an area that needs all of the tourist bucks they can get they are more than willing to accept this money and are more than friendly when you are there.

I live in Ohio...ride about a 1000 miles a summer on the quad...have three riding areas of about 110 miles total within an hour and half of my house and drove the 5 hours to Hatfield McCoy to do almost half my riding last summer. Why?? The people are genuinely happy that you are there, they welcome the ATV industry, and just general hospitality. In Ohio and (from what I hear) in most of the country ATVers are looked as if they are doing something wrong and destroying the area. Until ATVers feel welcome everywhere they go the sport will not reach it true potential.

On a side note...with a snowmobile...there is a certain requirement to ride...snow. Is the snow season shorter than the summer of ATV riding? I am just thinking that even if the same number at snowmobilers hit the trails as ATVers where you are from that a shorter season would have to pack in the snowmobiles when the weather is cooperating creating the image that there are more. Don't know really...just playing devil's advocate.
Mudslinger2

Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

I checked it out on the web and was very impressed. They have 500 miles of trail and attract 35,000 riders per year! Wow! I would imagine you do see parking lots full of ATV's around that trail system. We need more places like that.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Out here on the west coast it's ATV's that are ridden more than sleds.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

In New England the snowmobiles definetly have more riders in Northern NH, VT, and ME. The Southern New England states are next to useless for ATVers. But NH, VT, and ME are all doing their best to attract ATVers. Between lodging, meals, and gas we probably spent around $1200 in a week up in Jackman, ME. Didn't see a ton of riders out there though. Talked to a Fisheries and Wildlife guy and he said it is a little slow due to the economy. We saw a lot full of riders of both snowmobiles and ATVers a week ago yesterday. Never seen it so packed. Had to wait for someone to leave to get a parking spot.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

'laker, it is an unfair comparison. First off, other than watching the Packers on TV, and Ice fishing, there isn't a lot of other activities other than snowmobiles in the winter. ATV's on the other hand have a lot of competition with other organized sports, fishing, chores around the house etc. So you are going to expect a great deal of other options. As you have learned, Hatfiel/McCoy is one system that is continually growing and is drawing people from around the globe. Over crowding is not a problem yet. And that is being handled by limiting the number of available rooms. Because this is a destination type system, you don't just ride a day and go home. Most people stay for a few days. Then the locals like you too. Lastly, the trails themselves are a little different in that they are usually circuitist in in nature. In short, you start and end up at the same place. In WI, your trails tend to be strung out over much longer systems with a destination in mind. (Usually a bar or restaurant etc). Hatfield McCoy is also several systems. Not all are tied together, so you can make multiple trips and ride multiple systems without repeating. Also remmeber that they are typically built on former coal mine lands. The systems have been a boon for the local economy for sure.
Utah has a huge system (Paiute trails), and in Idaho, there is the Silver country system around Wallace (Site of Dante's peak) Other than that, you find a smattering of areas around the country that have very specialized riding. Dunes, rocks etc. But the commercial development has not caught up with them. The most important reason HM has done so well is they have managed to get their government involved and behind the whole thing. The land owners are cooperating as well. It has proven to be a win win for all concerned. But it would be difficult to duplicate anywhere else due to the sheer requirement for land area. The last thing that makes it work is that from the start, they approached the whole project from a family activity perspective. Without that, you end up with rowdies, alcohol and trouble, which always ends up upsetting the locals and closed trails.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:56 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
'laker, it is an unfair comparison. First off, other than watching the Packers on TV, and Ice fishing, there isn't a lot of other activities other than snowmobiles in the winter. ATV's on the other hand have a lot of competition with other organized sports, fishing, chores around the house etc. So you are going to expect a great deal of other options. As you have learned, Hatfiel/McCoy is one system that is continually growing and is drawing people from around the globe. Over crowding is not a problem yet. And that is being handled by limiting the number of available rooms. Because this is a destination type system, you don't just ride a day and go home. Most people stay for a few days. Then the locals like you too. Lastly, the trails themselves are a little different in that they are usually circuitist in in nature. In short, you start and end up at the same place. In WI, your trails tend to be strung out over much longer systems with a destination in mind. (Usually a bar or restaurant etc). Hatfield McCoy is also several systems. Not all are tied together, so you can make multiple trips and ride multiple systems without repeating. Also remmeber that they are typically built on former coal mine lands. The systems have been a boon for the local economy for sure.

exactly (well, except for the packers part )

in the northeast- sled riders enjoy only 1/4 of the year riding- and other then ice fishing, not much else going on in the winter.

atv'ers are spread out over the entire year. Atv'ers aren't depending on one particular climate in order to ride- like waiting for snow. You can ride an atv pretty much any time you want during the year.

A better comparison would be between boaters and sledders- good luck finding a local lake ramp that isn't jammed with boat trailers once the weather turns mild.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
... The most important reason HM has done so well is they have managed to get their government involved and behind the whole thing. The land owners are cooperating as well. It has proven to be a win win for all concerned. But it would be difficult to duplicate anywhere else due to the sheer requirement for land area. The last thing that makes it work is that from the start, they approached the whole project from a family activity perspective. Without that, you end up with rowdies, alcohol and trouble, which always ends up upsetting the locals and closed trails.
I'd like to think HM could be duplicated around the country. That's the future of ATV'ing. HM has 500 miles of trails, but there are counties in Wisconsin that have almost that many miles. Northern Wisconsin is economically depressed (except for public sector union workers) and could use a boost that could come from an ATV crowd. I get the impression the HM system has something special. I wish someone could package it and ship it out here.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

One thing to is people have the windows on their house closed in the winter. So snowmoblies don't bug them. Open windows and loud pipes puts a big stop to everything. I would love to be involved in getting more trails going.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I just thought of another difference between snowmobile and ATV riding. When snowmobiling, you'll see a lot of large groups of riders. Snowmobiling is more of a social activity. You seldom see large groups of ATV'ers riding together. I can tell you that I don't like riding my ATV with a group, because I don't like the taste of dust. I think that might also be a limiting factor for family ATV'ing. People don't want their kids choking on dust for hours at a time. We need an ATV helmet that incorporates an effective dust filter that is comfortable to wear.

Quick Reply: Economic Impact of ATV's