Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Engine size

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a 400 AC with low range and it's adequate. I do a lot of wood hauling with it, and it gets to 60 mph on the railroad beds. A couple of factors that might limit engine size are gas costs and manufacturer liability. I'm also concerned that big bore machines tearing up trails will just get more trails closed.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

They'll keep making what sells. I don't think cc's has that much to do with speed. My wife's 250 trailblazer came from the factory very tame. But bored, ported, nice exhaust system to match the clutch work and it's a screamer.

And if I had a choice between an 1000cc machine and a 500cc machine and the difference was 500 bucks, I know which I'd choose. When it comes time to sell them selling them (both properly cared for) which is going to be worth more?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The funny thing about tearing up trails is that with a smaller machine you need to rev it higher to get up, over, and through obstacles. I've been on a 110cc, several 250s, had a 250 2-stroke, a 300, several 500s, 550s, and a 700. With the 500 I can go low and slow and not spin tires as much as the lighter 300cc 2 wheel drive I had where momentum was needed in rocks, and mud. An 800 class or larger doesn't mean you're going to tear up the trail more. It just means you have more power available when needed or wanted.

If there is anywhere ATVers need to police themselves it's where we are in the public view. Don't leave trash behind, stay on the marked trails, don't do wheelies down main street, stop doing donuts in the parking lots, when near homes keep the noise level down, etc. From my experience these are what cause trails to be closed down. If we behave the battle to keep trails open will be that much easier. If we go beyond this and fix trails, bridges, etc. we are that much better for it.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its not about motor size but HP. A 500 Foreman has 27hp will a 500cc Outlander has 40hp.

A 500cc Outlander has the same HP as a 680cc Rincon.

If anything the ATVs are detuned, a 850cc Polaris ATV makes only 70hp while there 750cc 4stroke sled makes 145hp with tubo and 85hp without.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

I know what you are saying when is enough enough. Let the market dictate that not the goverment. I bought an 850 xp and the fiancee a 550 if I never planned on putting big mud tires on the 550 would be fine, but now I ahve the tires and it still feels sporty. My 850 tops out at about 71-72 according to the speedo when it was stock. My old 500 ho would do 60, not much speed difference but a lot more power to spin tires.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

i feel engine size really dont matter but it nice with a larger motor because when your bogging more power keeps tire from bogging down and dont really get much differnt in speed or that my 400 outlander does 63 and it 32 horse power i like it but it dont have the power i want for the stuff i do i know what ya mean by there way under tuned the same size snowmobile motor is double the horse and alot faster

Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

DeeDawg, I apologize for being an idiot and asking such a moronic question.

Last edited by User492; 06-21-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Opinion

My opinion on this subject is that, you have to choose your own atv/utv for what your going to use it for. Power equals speed but you can get hurt just as bad on a underpowered atv/utv. If you want brute strength you have to have big horsepower if you want to be limber and slick a smaller application will do. In the end it comes down to what you want and what your willing to pay weather it money or life. Thats my opinion

Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no way a 500 is enough motor for me, not even close- I like to have instant wheelie popping power under my thumb- a 500 / 550 (4x4) struggles quite a bit at pulling up the front wheels at the blip of the throttle, especially if you have any luggage on the front rack. If you want a touring / 2-up machine and plan on riding in new england mud, snow or the mountain trails with a passenger- a 500 will get you there, but not as easy and as fun as an 800+

They do "detune" the 800's compared to the sleds, all I can figure... is maybe the drivetrain parts on an atv would start to really fail. The friction between a tire and the dirt is a lot more then between a track and the snow (I'm assuming)- and manufacturers would either have to spend more money on stronger, bigger parts or go broke honoring all the warrantied failures.

800-1000 is a good size- any larger and I think you're just wasting gas

Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
DeeDawg, I apologize for being an idiot and asking such a moronic question.
Glad to hear you've learned your lesson

Quick Reply: Engine size